Trade: Trade Deadline Thread (trades, rumours, discussion, etc)

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Guys on local (Phoenix) radio are talking about what a good return the Suns got for Morris. Are you kidding me? Was the guy a huge pain? Sure. Did he need to leave? I think it was inevitable. But the two guys they got are complete bench scrubs, so you essentially traded a 15 and 6 guy who had a very reasonable contract for a 10-15 pick. Picks are severely overvalued. In the last ten years, the players drafted in that pick range as good or better than Morris are Klay Thompson, Paul George, Redick, Bynum, Brook Lopez, Brandon Jennings, Thaddeus Young, Rodney Stuckey (arguable). So 8 out of 60. Sorry but getting a 13% chance of drafting a better player than him is terrible. I understand they had to get rid of him at some point, but to act like that was a good return is absurd.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Well now this is pretty interesting - according to CBS Sports Celtics GM Danny Ainge might have offered this year's Brooklyn pick ( thanks again Billy King ) to Philly for Jahlil Okafor.

from cbssports.com:

021916_oka.jpg

Jahlil Okafor reportedly could have been a Celtic.

Boston Celtics general manager Danny Ainge said on the radio Friday morning that the team almost traded the Brooklyn Nets' 2016 first-round draft pick in a deadline-day blockbuster, but the other team backed out. He also indicated that the trade target was not the subject of any rumors, so it would have surprised people.

That trade target was Philadelphia 76ers rookie Jahlil Okafor, according to Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald.

Five thoughts:

1) Boston was where Okafor got into a fight earlier this season, so we would have heard all about that again. Ugh.

2) I'm a little surprised the 76ers didn't do the deal. Okafor is a promising talent, for sure, but if Joel Embiid is healthy next season, one of their three young bigs -- Okafor, Embiid or Nerlens Noel -- would end up on the trade block. I'm not sure that Philadelphia will get a better return than the Brooklyn draft pick.

3) My oh my, Okafor on the Celtics would have been interesting. They don't have any players remotely like him, so there would certainly be an adjustment period. He is an excellent post player, though, and coach Brad Stevens has already proven great at covering up players' defensive weaknesses. It wouldn't necessarily have worked out, but considering Okafor is just 20 years old, Stevens would have relished the chance to develop him.

4) When Ainge said that it wasn't a no-brainer for Boston, well, no kidding. If the draft pick lands in the top three, there's a good chance the Celtics will be able to get comparable talent. This would have been a bold move for both teams.

5) You have to wonder why the Sixers backed out, and who had the most to do with that. Were president Jerry Colangelo and general manager Sam Hinkie on the same page here? Did Philly fear the reaction if it traded away another top pick? I'm not saying that the front office did the wrong thing, but I'm interested in the process.

So which team do you think would have won this deal if it went through ????

Plato

Nov 12, 2005
New York
Would've been a good move from the Celtics, no doubt.
Okafor's proven himself thus far, has loads of potential and is putting in the type of performances you'd expect from a player taken that high.
No reason to think a question mark in the next draft carries more value than Okafor does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad