Trade Deadline(s)

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
But I think it does if you're losing. Teams that are losing make significantly less revenue and as my MO has dropped my attendance has dropped. I've slowly been lowering my ticket prices all season to keep my attendance above 90%

As it should be though. As a team that has made money pretty much every year, I'm scheduled to likely lose quite a bit this year if I miss the playoffs. As I should, given I'm right at the cap. If I still slip in the playoffs and nail an extra endorsement though, I might break even by just playing one round.

Overall, if we're topping up to ensure the average cash balance is $30M per team each year (via tv revenue or whatever), I think that at least accounys for the oddities of the sim to a degree. There is no accounting for what may happen in a given year, but such is the risk for all of us. There will be financial winners and losers each year, but if you're going to gamble on a big payroll, just be sure to have some cash, otherwise you might put yourself in a situation where it could take several years to get out of your financial hole, and likely without the chance to compete for the cup during that time. Several teams are facing that. Such as it is in real life, I'd say.

I'm open to other ideas, such as distributing tv money during the season or something too, but given we're not sure we even have tv revenue every year, I'm not sure that makes sense.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
As it should be though. As a team that has made money pretty much every year, I'm scheduled to likely lose quite a bit this year if I miss the playoffs. As I should, given I'm right at the cap. If I still slip in the playoffs and nail an extra endorsement though, I might break even by just playing one round.

Overall, if we're topping up to ensure the average cash balance is $30M per team each year (via tv revenue or whatever), I think that at least accounys for the oddities of the sim to a degree. There is no accounting for what may happen in a given year, but such is the risk for all of us. There will be financial winners and losers each year, but if you're going to gamble on a big payroll, just be sure to have some cash, otherwise you might put yourself in a situation where it could take several years to get out of your financial hole, and likely without the chance to compete for the cup during that time. Several teams are facing that. Such as it is in real life, I'd say.

I'm open to other ideas, such as distributing tv money during the season or something too, but given we're not sure we even have tv revenue every year, I'm not sure that makes sense.

Has any team shown they can grow their bank account consistently in the current sim? It's easy to take the risks you take when you've got a massive bank account, which was almost certainly entirely built within a former way of running the league. Given the new sim, and how it handles revenue, I think we have to look at changing something. I don't know how we can leave revenue the same every year while costs continue to increase and expect teams to just deal with it.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
I see a lockout coming. This is kind of funny that we are having this issue when a new CBA is up.

I'd wager that inputting SP ratings would change things and give a boost to attendance ratings thus providing more revenue. Rather than teams lowering their prices to achieve higher attendance they would need more star players. Which is how the old sim worked I believe.

Also with teams lowering their ticket prices it now makes teams like mine less attractive to watch even though they are in different cities. Odd but I bet it fixes things.

Last edited:

Lord Stanley

Revoluccion Leader
Feb 24, 2003
In your head
revoluccionsoup.sauna.ca

Not sure how much this will help or not with regards to teams possibly being able to sell more tickets at higher prices. I think we should look into something like this.

Maybe give a 1 to each player that played in the allstar game at the start of next season, and a 2 to any player winning an award. This will change every year slightly as different players make the allstart game and win awards year in and year out.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Not sure how much this will help or not with regards to teams possibly being able to sell more tickets at higher prices. I think we should look into something like this.

Maybe give a 1 to each player that played in the allstar game at the start of next season, and a 2 to any player winning an award. This will change every year slightly as different players make the allstart game and win awards year in and year out.

We'll have to look and see how it's used in other leagues. My guess is that a 2 is applied to players that are considered stars, while a 1 is applied to non-stars that are considered part of a team's core. Suggests a breakdown like this:

2: 5-8%
1: 15-20%
0: 80%

...but as I said, other leagues (or the boards) may give us some ideas of how it can be applied.

I like your suggestion for making it connected to HFNHL performance in some way, so maybe we could use that to move a few people up or down the list in a given year. Overall, though, I think we'd need to rely on (slightly subjective) evaluation. Perhaps it would become a standard part of the ratings process - and rating challenges, as well.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I go offline for one week and come back to see the annual financial debate has taken place, with my club mentioned directly a couple of times, and indirectly a few more. I'll have to find time to read through this one.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I go offline for one week and come back to see the annual financial debate has taken place, with my club mentioned directly a couple of times, and indirectly a few more. I'll have to find time to read through this one.

Annual? I wish. More like semi-annual, if not... what, teri-annual*? (Whatever three times a year would be...).

Welcome back to the land of the connected - hope the Horn is treating you as well as can be, given the difficult circumstances in which so many are living.

*not a real word, but it should be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad