Salary Cap: Trade deadline results - Your thoughts

How did we do for trades?

• Total voters

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I give it a pass. Melnyk forced this and Dorion did ok.

Brannstrom is a great piece, if Duchene signs with Columbus we get that extra first.

In terms of blowing up a team to get future assets, this wasn't all that bad. The real problem is not a single one of us believes that we will be able to retain the talent we develop.

Now its all about who we sign over the summer. This is when we should be signing some veteran players to those extra years no one else will give them. If that happens then there may be a light at the end of the tunnel.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Sucks to lose those players, but we all knew it was coming so it's not much of a shock.

The returns are solid. A blue Chip defenseman prospect, at least one maybe two firsts and a bunch of seconds and b level prospects.

The Sens are going to ve a lottery team again next season. Maybe even the year after.

They have a good chunk of young players just breaking in, or primed to break in at all positions. Plus a year or two with high high draft picks. Multiple first and second round picks. They are going to be absolutely loaded with prospects in a couple years, scattered and filtering through the system at different speeds and times.

So yeah. It absolutely sucks theyve lost all their star players, it sucks that they're handing an 18 percent chance at Hughes to colorado... And who knows if melnyk will really ve willing to spend when the time is right. But this rebuild is off to an absolutely stellar start.

If they can grab a couple of top three picks in th coming years ... This team could have an unfathomable amount of talent to fill out the tanks.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Also we get to suck while Tampa and Toronto ride their current success.

This sucks and until Melnyk leaves there is no hope but in terms of asset management, with the context of a POS owner, Dorion did ok and the timing makes sense.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
The actual returns, they’re shit and you can’t deny it.

However, when combined with the potential that they could have left for free at the end of the season, it’s a slight positive to an otherwise dreadful last 10 or so months.

Whether those picks can blossom, well, who knows.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If you showed someone our pool of prospects/picks and combined that with the idea that we are heavily favored to get a top pick in 2020 and maybe 2021, most hockey fans would be thrilled with that cupboard.

But to sell it to them, you'd have to leave out the part where we traded a generational defender, and the best forward/leader we've had since Daniel Alfredsson......

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
In the context of everything this is all terrible.

However going into these deals with the understanding that all these guys are going to walk and leave us with nothing, we did pretty solid.

We got decent value for Duchene and Dzingel, and in the case of Stone, as he wasn't coming back, him signing in Vegas or not was pretty irrelevant to our own future. It did add value to the trade, however, as there's no way Brannstrom would be coming our way had something not been in place, so in that sense we did well.

Stone could have just as easily not wanted to deal with Vegas and our return could have been far worse. Brannstrom is probably the equivalent of a top 5 first rounder at this point so we definitely got quality.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Batherson will not command that money I’m almost certain. Overpaying on guys right after their ELC could be just as detrimental. Then you’re stuck with them

But you're stuck with them during their prime years. The main reason for the current situation, outside of Melnyk being cheap, is that the players being re-signed are looking for 8 year deals with many of those season being when the player is in their 30's. So you're paying for their current ability but there's little upside and a whole lot of downside.

If you sign players to 8 year deals off their ELC, you're looking at getting them from 21-23 to 29-32. Big difference. You get their best years and then if you move on at the end, you're moving on from players past their primes.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
But you're stuck with them during their prime years. The main reason for the current situation, outside of Melnyk being cheap, is that the players being re-signed are looking for 8 year deals with many of those season being when the player is in their 30's. So you're paying for their current ability but there's little upside and a whole lot of downside.

If you sign players to 8 year deals off their ELC, you're looking at getting them from 21-23 to 29-32. Big difference. You get their best years and then if you move on at the end, you're moving on from players past their primes.
K but what if you’re stuck with them and they’re not that good? That’s my point

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
So, it's over.

What do you think of the haul?

Personally it is not as good as I thought. All the media is mixed so far.

giphy.gif

Here's what annoys me most about the current situation:

There's a 35% chance that the OTT/COL pick ends up being Hughes or Kakko.

If that's how it turns out ... than it has more value than all of Ottawa's 2019 picks combined.

I highly doubt anyone would trade them for picks 22 + 32 + 42 + 80 + 94 + 125 + 187.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
My thoughts

Duchene Trade:
Got the 2019 first and 2020 conditional first which is good, however wished we could have got one of Bemstrom or Foudy instead of both Abramov and Davidsson. Grade: B-
Trade I would have done: 1st 2019 and Liam Foudy. Quality over quality. This shouldn't be too much, as Duchene has a good possibility of signing in Columbus.

Dzingel Trade:
Got the 2020 2nd and 2021 2nd and Duclair which is good. However wish we added a condition that if he signs then we get Columbus 3rd rounder in 2019. Grade: B+
Trade I would have done: Instead of two second rounders I would have insisted for 2020 1st rounder, Duclair and conditional 3rd rounder in 2019 if Dzingel signs.

Stone Trade:
Got an A prospect in Brannstrom plus a 2nd in 2020 and Lindberg. This is mediocre because Stone is in his prime and signed a multi year deal. I believe Brannstrom will be a star one day but there is always a chance he doesn't become what he is suppose to become. To trade a proven NHL talent in his prime in Stone, the value should have been more. First off the 2nd in 2020 should be a 2020 first round pick no matter what. In addition, Lindberg is a UFA at season's end and hence we actually traded for Brannstrom and a 2nd in 2020 as I doubt we retain Lindberg. I would have definately asked for a conditional pick if Stone signed (ideally a 2019 2nd round pick). Grade C-.
Trade I would have done:
2020 1st Round pick, Brannstrom, Lindberg Conditional 2019 2nd round pick if Stone signs.

Last edited:

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I give the deadline trades a B. Dorion seems to be much better at selling than at buying.

But there's no point gathering all these assets if we don't draft the right guys (thankfully we seem to be ok in that department), if we don't have the proper coaching to develop them, if we still rely on antiquated or non-existent analytics, and if we don't surround the prospects by a solid group of veterans (good luck with that).

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Its a massive failure for not moving Ceci. He is now a worthless asset.

Not signing Stone will be the crypling blow that could be the straw that breaks the camels back in terms of this organization relocating. With no leadership in the room and no commitment to winning this team is
doomed.

The following interview by Dorion was an example to me that Melnyk wants to move or sell this franchise.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Its a massive failure for not moving Ceci. He is now a worthless asset.

Not signing Stone will be the crypling blow that could be the straw that breaks the camels back in terms of this organization relocating. With no leadership in the room and no commitment to winning this team is
doomed.

The following interview by Dorion was an example to me that Melnyk wants to move or sell this franchise.

I was just thinking, those people who keep harping on about how the locker room was so broken last year can't even imagine how dour things will get as this sorry bunch of players has to endure getting blown out left and right for months upon months with no Stone or Duchene around to help. Now THAT is how you get a broken team. Keeping Ceci around is just adding insult to injury.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'd give the returns a C.

When moving stars, getting 2nd tier prospects and late firsts isn't enough. Give me the top prospect in your organization and a mid round pick (or even 1-for-1 for your bluechip). Multiple average pieces is betting against the house...and that rarely works. You can't build a team full of guys taken 20-somethign overall....you need those elite top 3 kids. Banking on getting another Karlsson or mid round gem like Stone is a once a decade (if not longer) occurrence.

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
Cant wait to see the NHL retreads we sign this offseason to try and fill out this ****show of a roster.

Any predictions on who is coming back from the hinterlands?

Tom Pyatt
Chris DiDomenico
Gabriel Dumont
Randy Robitaille

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
K but what if you’re stuck with them and they’re not that good? That’s my point

If your core players aren't good, you're not going to be good regardless of how long they're signed for. You're going to have to sign them long term at some point. Would you rather take that chance at 22 or 28?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
B because he was in a tight spot and got decent returns under those circumstances.

Not an A because he put us in those circumstances.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Biggest problem I see is we do not have a top end C prospect and our goalie prospect, Gus, hasnt looked good at all

A lot of good prospects, not enough great prospects.

Chabot and Brannstrom are great starting points for a top 4. But we need the elite 1C to compete and a promising #1 goalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->