How did we do for trades?

• Total voters

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
So, it's over.

What do you think of the haul?

Personally it is not as good as I thought. All the media is mixed so far.

giphy.gif

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Not a disaster. I’m not crying but was prepared for that.
Happy to save on Kleenex.

I think Pierre did alright under the circumstances. If it wasn’t for melnyk I could get excited about our young guys.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Not that great, but it could have been worse I guess.

I don't want the returns to be a distraction that this franchise is in the gutter and I see no hope for re-signing any of our players when their contracts are up.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
The anticipated Stone extension has done it for me.

We got played by an apparently broke millionaire. The haul is worthless if the Team can't retain players. Our team is a shell of what it once was, and I'm not sure what the returns could have been to change that.

Edit: AND WE SOMEHOW MANAGED TO KEEP CECI

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
I don't want the returns to be a distraction that this franchise is in the gutter and I see no hope for re-signing any of our players when their contracts are up.

Preach. It just doesn't matter if the Team is going to do this all over again in a couple of years.

madhatter316

May 10, 2013
If this whole process leads to the downtown arena being built and then ownership (new I hope) going all in with FA and all the young talent for a new building it will be worth it. We literally have 4 legit prospects on the team and 4-6 in the pipe - if the goalie bit works out over the next 3 years it will be quite the team to watch in a new arena. If the downtown arena deal falls apart then we might be looking at an Arizona type thing where the NHL has to get involved and then this will have been all for naught.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
If you remove the emotion and remove the false pretense of the build and remove the Melnyk factor.

We did good. We got a bit of everything. We got some quantity, some good picks, some lower picks, a moonshot prospect, a young reclamation project, and a high end blue chip defenseman. Basically all the things we needed.

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Hate giving away all three of those guys.

Happy with the returns.

Don't know how to feel, but for three guys Ottawa was not going to be able to re-sign, Dorion did well.

Reactions: DrEasy

Studzle

Dec 1, 2013
Toronto
5 years is a long time. Teams change so quickly in this league.

Yes I'm livid with Melnyk, yes I think Dorion is incompetent. But we only need a few of these prospects to pan out, and we have a lot of lottery tickets.

Then you add in all of the prospects in the system, the top 3 pick we will get next year and the year after most likely.

Also look at a team like Columbus, they just made a bunch of trades to load up. Thats something we will do in the future, there's always going to be teams selling.

Just trying to be optomistic, the next 3 years are going to suck though.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
It's nice having a top D prospect, until that top D prospect needs to get paid if he lives up to the hype.

Don't know how they can't get another Vegas prospect for an extended Stone.

June 2020 is going to be so important. If they can get Lafreniere, Byfield, Raymond, or Holtz, to go along with Chabot, Tkachuk, Brannstrom, White, Batherson, Formenton, JBD, and Gustafsson, it's a great start.

Last edited:

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Right up until 7pm last night, I was convinced they'd resign Stone. Really thought it was all just negotiations and once the Sens put their best possible offer on the table he'd accept it.

If that'd happened I'd given them a B+.

In the actual reality we're living in, they get an F-.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
If we were rebuilding for the right reasons, we did okay. Or if Mark Stone had no interest in staying here because he hated to cold and city, the return was fine.

Neither of those things are true. Watching Stone re-sign in Vegas for 8 years within 10 minutes of the trade is a gut-punch for every Sens fan. It's brutal. He is going to be like Chara or Hossa. Despite getting his start here, no one will ever remember him as a Senator. He'll be a Golden Knight. He'll probably win a Cup there.

I like Brannstrom as a prospect. I hope people don't expect him to become the next Karlsson, but I think he'll become a good, offensive top-4 defenseman.

But this deadline cemented what I've thought all along. There's no reason to believe the management of this team has any idea of what they're doing, or that ownership has interest in building a winner.

There's really no reason to be a fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->