Blue Jays Discussion: Trade Deadline Monday. What will the Jays do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
villar plays a solid shortstop so can he play a decent 3rd? he should have the fielding and arm...i just dont want to see too many shaw when bo is back

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
villar plays a solid shortstop so can he play a decent 3rd? he should have the fielding and arm...i just dont want to see too many shaw when bo is back

I'm not sure he's going to be a big option there. The last time he played 3rd base was 2016 with the Brewers. He put in a little over 300 innings at the position and the numbers paint a... well let's be charitable and say "less than stellar" picture.

In 429 innings at 3rd between 2015 and 2016 he had an UZR/150 of -27.4, a -7 DRS, and committed 16 errors (8 each fielding and throwing).

It's by far the worst position he got regular playing time at in his career aside from a 21 inning dalliance in LF with the Astros.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I was just thinking about this. Perhaps the Jays moves tells us something.

Before today we had Ryu, Walker, Anderson and Roark in the rotation.

We have Thornton, Pearson and Shoemaker on the IL. We just need one of them to come back. Well we know Thornton is out for the season.

Well today we added Stripling and Ray. We have a top 3 pen so I don’t see us adding those guys to an already deep pen. Stripling is 100% a starter.

Perhaps this tells us that the Jays plan to take things very slow with Pearson and/or Shoemaker OR their injuries are more serious than originally thought.

Pearson is throwing but maybe the Jays opt to not us him at all this season and Shoemaker is insurance because his season hasn’t gone as planned.

So that leaves us with;

Ryu
Walker
Stripling
Anderson
Roark
Ray

You don’t have 6 starters on the roster and add 3 more in a span of a few days unless you think 2 or more of those starters won’t contribute for the rest of the season.

Shoemaker has had a good season and has little time to make get healthy before the playoffs. He has no future with the team so unless they need him, they may just sit him. Pearson has a big future with the team but wasn’t effective, no need to rush him so let him take his time and come back healthy next season.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I wouldn't be shocked if they plan to use Pearson out of the pen the rest of the year given he's coming back from injury, there's only a month left, and how poorly he pitched for the first part of the year.

I'd put him back in the rotation, but I'm half expecting them to use him out of the pen.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

We have Thornton, Pearson and Shoemaker on the IL. We just need one of them to come back. Well we know Thornton is out for the season.

Well today we added Stripling and Ray. We have a top 3 pen so I don’t see us adding those guys to an already deep pen. Stripling is 100% a starter.

Perhaps this tells us that the Jays plan to take things very slow with Pearson and/or Shoemaker OR their injuries are more serious than originally thought.

Pearson is throwing but maybe the Jays opt to not us him at all this season and Shoemaker is insurance because his season hasn’t gone as planned.

So that leaves us with;

Ryu
Walker
Stripling
Anderson
Roark
Ray

You don’t have 6 starters on the roster and add 3 more in a span of a few days unless you think 2 or more of those starters won’t contribute for the rest of the season.

Shoemaker has had a good season and has little time to make get healthy before the playoffs. He has no future with the team so unless they need him, they may just sit him. Pearson has a big future with the team but wasn’t effective, no need to rush him so let him take his time and come back healthy next season.

More than just that, this season has been an absolute meat grinder for pitching staffs. You can't have enough depth if you hold any illusions of contending for a playoff spot. Even if they don't intend to hold guys back or play it safe, they're going to need all the help they can get.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Blue Jays reinforce roster while showing restraint, discipline at deadline - Sportsnet.ca

TORONTO – Even in a market with scant inventory, there was still an opportunity for buyers determined to remake their teams ahead of baseball’s trade deadline. San Diego Padres general manager A.J. Preller, for example, romped through the aisles like a hoarder at Costco, making six deals involving 26 players in a buildup so audacious, the Toronto Blue Jays’ bold 2015 augmentation seemed modest in comparison.

Lance Lynn of the Texas Rangers was available for the right price. So, too, was Dylan Bundy of the Los Angeles Angels. The Pittsburgh Pirates felt things out for controllable arms like Trevor Williams and Chad Kuhl. Nothing is out of reach on Jerry Dipoto’s Seattle Mariners.

So, big deals were out there, including one Blue Jays GM Ross Atkins thought had some legs but his team eventually abandoned because “we just realized we weren’t going to line up on.” That might have been Mike Clevinger, whom Preller landed from Cleveland, or Lynn.

A case can certainly be made that this wasn’t the time for the Blue Jays to go bigger, not in this bizarre, pandemic shortened 60-game season in which the expanded playoffs opened up a path to post-season contention that might not have otherwise existed.

The main reason they’re in this spot is because the stable of young arms the club has worked so diligently to amass in recent years has begun to align with a talented nucleus of position players. As this season has shown, no amount of pitching is enough, it’s difficult and expensive to acquire, and subtracting from that must be done prudently.

A complicating factor is that in the absence of minor-leagues this season, extracting full value for prospects not at a club’s alternate training site was near impossible. Were teams to value players based on last year’s performance? What’s the impact of a lost development year? How do you account for the off-season or more gains/setbacks?

“Not having as much access to scout as much talent and really zero in and do deep dives on our prospects,” was one of two trends to really impact the way the Blue Jays operated, Atkins said, the other being the scarcity of full-blown sellers.

“Especially in the NL,” he said, “the amount of teams that are in the race impacted our ability, seemingly, to what we would normally anticipate a price to be, or an appropriate acquisition cost seemed to be mildly different. And I think that was heavily influenced by teams being in it.”

Reactions: GreytWun

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

So that leaves us with;

Ryu
Walker
Stripling
Anderson
Roark
Ray

It's certainly possible, but the first thing that comes to mind for me is postseason starter usage in recent years: short starts, once or twice through the lineup, quick trigger if he gets in trouble. This sets up perfectly for that type of usage because they're going to have something like 12 guys on the roster who can go 3+ innings.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Shapiro: Hey Charlie, we are thinking of waiving Joe Panik.
Montoyo:

15%2Btimes.jpg

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Stripling looks pretty super.

Ray sure can punch em out.

A little coaching maybe, a tweak here or there, some catcher compatibility?

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
Wow. I have no love for Brandon Drury, but I would prefer to keep him over Panik. At least Drury can occasionally run into a pitch for extra bases...

Charlie must have fought to keep his favourite toy.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So the team now has 6 healthy starters - Ryu, Roark, Anderson, Walker, Stripling, Ray. One has to be going to the bullpen - has there been any word on who that will be? I would assume Ray would be the most likely. Roark hasn't been very good but the team has $12 million invested in him for 2021 so he'd be harder to pull from the rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->