Blue Jays Discussion: Trade Deadline Monday. What will the Jays do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Seems like Stripling was a buy-low, and hedges bets if the FA starters don’t wanna stick around, and bridges to the next wave of starters.
Depending on the prospects, I guess.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Im actually nervous about it tbh. If it took the 12th best prospect to get a free agent in villar imagine what a guy sig ed past this yr will get. Only good news is that ut is 2 ptbnl so that usually mean 2 lesser prospects instead of a higher one. (Hopefully). Friedman did say one is close to the majors. The other is further away

The Friedman quote/tweet said it was one guy they've liked for a while and neither is MLB ready, didn't it? So I was guess someone who's been in the system at least a couple years but isn't at the upper levels yet.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
The Friedman quote/tweet said it was one guy they've liked for a while and neither is MLB ready, didn't it? So I was guess someone who's been in the system at least a couple years but isn't at the upper levels yet.
You can bet it's top 10...Even buying low...Stripling was going to cost.

Reactions: Haringoth

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Stripling is a nice piece.
Ray is garbage, Villar is an average piece.

Ray has had a really rough start to this year, but he's not garbage.

Guy was a good pitcher as recently as last year. He's still is striking out everyone (7th in the league for SP over 30 IP), but his problem this year is three-fold:

1) He's walking a guy per inning. His control has NEVER been this bad. Apparently it's due to a change in his delivery. The issue is if we think we can fix him, we're not going to see results this year.

2) People are hitting him ~3MPH harder than his career average.

3) His GB% is half his career average.

So to sum up, he's putting guys on for free more than ever, he's getting hit harder than usual, and it's being hit in the air far more. Bad combo obviously, but with his elite stuff it could change at any time. Even if he cant fix it this season, I'd love to see the Jays try again next year to see if they can get something out of him for cheap.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Im actually nervous about it tbh. If it took the 12th best prospect to get a free agent in villar imagine what a guy sig ed past this yr will get. Only good news is that ut is 2 ptbnl so that usually mean 2 lesser prospects instead of a higher one. (Hopefully). Friedman did say one is close to the majors. The other is further away

Usually. I don't think it indicates anything like that in this case though, since the only way you can trade someone not on the 60 man pool is as a PTBNL. So if the Jays were ever going to trade Martinez, Moreno, Kloff, Williams, Pardinho, Hiraldo, etc this is how it would have to be done. I would say it's probably not the first 3 but you never know. My money is on Williams and a lower end guy, Winckowski, for example.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I find it odd that a pitcher can post 4 consecutive seasons of sub 4 ERA ball and then after one bad start / shortened season they just get dumped for scraps... Seems like very low risk gambles we are taking with these SPs... Love it.

Reactions: Morgs

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Jays are first in SB among AL playoff teams.

Just added Villar who is first in SB in the NL.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
You can bet it's top 10...Even buying low...Stripling was going to cost.

Eh, maybe. Looking at the Fangraphs top 10, the only two who need to be PTBNL'd are Martinez and Moreno. Martinez is too much, but I suppose Moreno would make some sense. We'll see, I guess.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Pretty big haul! Been a while since Jays were buyers
I like the Villar add the best, and the pitchers are good to have for depth
Might as well try for a playoff run without giving up anything significant

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Should be a really fun second half of the season. It's a joy to see the team pushing for the playoffs and it's going to be some great experience for the young guns!

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

I’m going to guess Eric Pardinho as one of the arms.

Jays had and have a strong relationship with Brazil’s baseball program. When AA was here I’m sure his scouts were aware of Pardinho. AA was with the Dodgers when Pardinho signed with the Jays. I’m sure AA was in Friedman’s ear about Pardinho but the Jays had a deal setup months before the 2017 season.

Since then Pearson, Kloffenstein, Manoah, Williams and Van Eyk were drafted. SWR, Kay, Hatch, Waguespack, Thornton, and Merryweather seemed to have bypassed Pardinho on the depth chart as well via trade.

Jays also are hoping to contend soon. Pardinho won’t be ready for at least another 2 years. We have Ryu, and Pearson. Plus other arms that may be ready before him in Manoah, SWR, Kloffenstein, Williams and Van Eyk. And possibly the high floor guys like Hatch and Kay who could have rotation spots.

Not that I agree but Stripling sounds like a Jays target for some time. Can’t hurt to add him if they Jays are now lower on Pardinho especially if they are hoping to contend now. It’s likely they see something they can fix with Stripling.

Jays have a rotation or some rotation insurance at the very least next year.

Ryu
Pearson
Stripling (Arb eligible)
Roark
Anderson (Club option)

Stripling is making 2.1M this year. With a -0.5 WAR season so far, he isn’t going to make more than 3M next season. Very cheap with upside.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Usually. I don't think it indicates anything like that in this case though, since the only way you can trade someone not on the 60 man pool is as a PTBNL. So if the Jays were ever going to trade Martinez, Moreno, Kloff, Williams, Pardinho, Hiraldo, etc this is how it would have to be done. I would say it's probably not the first 3 but you never know. My money is on Williams and a lower end guy, Winckowski, for example.

Something like that makes sense, too. I think it's funny that people read a quote like "One guy is someone we've really liked for a while" and immediately think "Uh oh, this might hurt!" What do you expect him to say? Of course they like the guys they got, otherwise they wouldn't have made the trade. That doesn't mean it's going to be a trade we'll regret or that it's a too prospect or anything. Winckowski is just as likely to fit that description as Martinez.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I like the majority of the moves tbh. You can't not have enough pitching depth in a shitshow of a season like this and Villar gives them some utility. Generally i'd be down on buying when they're that up and down but like...this season doesn't make sense as is with the 2 month schedule and 8 playoff spots per league. f*** it, let it roll.

This season is now essentially half over too. What the hell even is 2020 at this point.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
‘One eye on now and one eye on the future’: Blue Jays GM explains deadline moves – The Athletic

With their team in a playoff spot, the Blue Jays front office headed into this year’s trade deadline with a careful plan to make roster improvements. They had needs — starting pitching, infield reinforcements, a bench bat — and following Monday’s 4 p.m. ET deadline, they had addressed each of them, adding a pair of starters in Robbie Ray and Ross Stripling and versatile infielder Jonathan Villar before the clock expired.

But perhaps more crucially, the Blue Jays did the majority of their shopping via the rental market, buying pieces for modest prices, while not subtracting from their major-league roster or their collection of top-ranked prospects.

In essence, the front office was opportunistic in making their current team better, beefing up areas of need, while not seriously jeopardizing the club’s future. Because as much as a playoff appearance is beginning to seem likely this season for the Blue Jays, who still have a hold of the final American League playoff spot after Monday’s 4-3 loss to the Baltimore Orioles, a deep run may be less likely. The young squad could gain a lot of valuable experience from October baseball, hence making moves to improve their current roster, but the Blue Jays’ serious window of contention will surely open wider starting next season and beyond.

“We had two main goals,” Blue Jays general manager Ross Atkins said on a Zoom call with reporters Monday evening. “One eye on now and one eye on the future and making sure we balance that. And we feel like we balance the future by not parting ways with our upper-echelon prospects and we balance the present by bolstering our major-league roster.”

And for now, the Blue Jays still have the payroll flexibility and prospect capital to spend at a later date, should a better opportunity to really go for a World Series run arise in the future.

“There were other things we could have done,” Atkins added. “It’s thinking about wanting that opportunity to continue for us, so it doesn’t mean just holding on to prospects, it means continuing to acquire and develop them, but we are confident that into this offseason and hopefully next deadline that we will have plenty of access to continue to acquire talent.”

In a sign that shows what a difference a year can make, the Blue Jays were among the busiest buyers during this deadline period. While no team was as active as the San Diego Padres over the last 48 hours, the Blue Jays made five separate deals over the last week.

While none of the Blue Jays deadlines moves made a huge splash, they at least took care of some immediate concerns, while keeping one eye on the future of their franchise, which they hope is morphing into a consistent contender. Because, as much fun as a playoff appearance could be this year in this wacky shortened season, the overarching goal is for postseason games to be a yearly occurrence. In that way, they’re looking to emulate another pretty successful club, who have deployed the slow build strategy to great success.

“You look at the Dodgers, they’ve never made the big splashy, huge (move), I mean, Mookie Betts is a great player, but it’s never all-in at one time,” Atkins said. “It’s a steady growth that they continue to build up their system. They continued to make their 40-man more efficient and obviously very effective. I think it’s important to be measured and there isn’t one juncture where, in our view, that you put all the cards on the table. For us it will be, hopefully, continuing to be able to build and have a system that continues to also be providing talent for us and not just trade pieces."

“That’s our goal, we’ll hope to continue to be measured. At the same time, it’s not without making really significant deals that mean very high prices, but it’s too hard to say on when exactly that time will be when those bigger deals occur.”

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
‘One eye on now and one eye on the future’: Blue Jays GM explains deadline moves – The Athletic

With their team in a playoff spot, the Blue Jays front office headed into this year’s trade deadline with a careful plan to make roster improvements. They had needs — starting pitching, infield reinforcements, a bench bat — and following Monday’s 4 p.m. ET deadline, they had addressed each of them, adding a pair of starters in Robbie Ray and Ross Stripling and versatile infielder Jonathan Villar before the clock expired.

But perhaps more crucially, the Blue Jays did the majority of their shopping via the rental market, buying pieces for modest prices, while not subtracting from their major-league roster or their collection of top-ranked prospects.

In essence, the front office was opportunistic in making their current team better, beefing up areas of need, while not seriously jeopardizing the club’s future. Because as much as a playoff appearance is beginning to seem likely this season for the Blue Jays, who still have a hold of the final American League playoff spot after Monday’s 4-3 loss to the Baltimore Orioles, a deep run may be less likely. The young squad could gain a lot of valuable experience from October baseball, hence making moves to improve their current roster, but the Blue Jays’ serious window of contention will surely open wider starting next season and beyond.

“We had two main goals,” Blue Jays general manager Ross Atkins said on a Zoom call with reporters Monday evening. “One eye on now and one eye on the future and making sure we balance that. And we feel like we balance the future by not parting ways with our upper-echelon prospects and we balance the present by bolstering our major-league roster.”

And for now, the Blue Jays still have the payroll flexibility and prospect capital to spend at a later date, should a better opportunity to really go for a World Series run arise in the future.

“There were other things we could have done,” Atkins added. “It’s thinking about wanting that opportunity to continue for us, so it doesn’t mean just holding on to prospects, it means continuing to acquire and develop them, but we are confident that into this offseason and hopefully next deadline that we will have plenty of access to continue to acquire talent.”

In a sign that shows what a difference a year can make, the Blue Jays were among the busiest buyers during this deadline period. While no team was as active as the San Diego Padres over the last 48 hours, the Blue Jays made five separate deals over the last week.

While none of the Blue Jays deadlines moves made a huge splash, they at least took care of some immediate concerns, while keeping one eye on the future of their franchise, which they hope is morphing into a consistent contender. Because, as much fun as a playoff appearance could be this year in this wacky shortened season, the overarching goal is for postseason games to be a yearly occurrence. In that way, they’re looking to emulate another pretty successful club, who have deployed the slow build strategy to great success.

“You look at the Dodgers, they’ve never made the big splashy, huge (move), I mean, Mookie Betts is a great player, but it’s never all-in at one time,” Atkins said. “It’s a steady growth that they continue to build up their system. They continued to make their 40-man more efficient and obviously very effective. I think it’s important to be measured and there isn’t one juncture where, in our view, that you put all the cards on the table. For us it will be, hopefully, continuing to be able to build and have a system that continues to also be providing talent for us and not just trade pieces."

“That’s our goal, we’ll hope to continue to be measured. At the same time, it’s not without making really significant deals that mean very high prices, but it’s too hard to say on when exactly that time will be when those bigger deals occur.”

Oh god. so much corporate double-speak. How could one possibly discern what he's intending to say through all that executive BS and reality-twisting deflection!

:sarcasm:

For real though, this makes total sense. This season is so random and weird that going all-in on it would be a bigger risk than normal. And the way this team has been built it's designed to be competitive for a long time, not burn itself in a supernova of immediate win-now impermanence.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Oh god. so much corporate double-speak. How could one possibly discern what he's intending to say through all that executive BS and reality-twisting deflection!

:sarcasm:

For real though, this makes total sense. This season is so random and weird that going all-in on it would be a bigger risk than normal. And the way this team has been built it's designed to be competitive for a long time, not burn itself in a supernova of immediate win-now impermanence.

I can't say I 100% know for sure what that means, but it sounds really fun :sarcasm:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
TSN Blue Jays reporter Scott Mitchell joins the guys on Overdrive to discuss how all of the Toronto Blue Jays moves made at the deadline are players with upside without having to give up too much to acquire them. Scott also discusses how GM Ross Atkins showed some restraint not acquiring a big game devastating their farm system to try and go on a run this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad