Blue Jays Discussion: Trade Deadline Monday. What will the Jays do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
MLB 2020 trade deadline grades: Restocked Red Sox, bold Padres earn high marks; quiet Yankees get F

Blue Jays
Grade: A The Jays are in playoff position at the moment, and they responded accordingly. They fortified the rotation with the additions of Taijuan Walker, Robbie Ray, and Ross Stripling, and they improved the infield depth by dealing for Jonathan Villar. In the case of Villar, his defensive flexibility means he'll be a useful piece even after shortstop Bo Bichette gets healthy. Those are nice, targeted moves that didn't put a noticeable dent in the farm system.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Only other team to bet our grade are the Padres with an A+.

Boston: B+
Baltimore: N/A
Yankees: F
Rays: F

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
btw it is way too early praise Ross and Mark. The build and rebuild were great but the Jays need to make the playoffs this year and in a full 162 season before they get my "praise".

Agreed, but at the very least, it does appear that we are on the right track to building a young core that can contend for many years for the first time in what...30 years? I'm not ready to praise them, but I commend them for the job they've done thus far. Hopefully, they will be as diligent in hiring another manager to take this club to the next level at some point as well.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
What's the likelihood the name of the prospect we have to give up that the Dodgers "really like" gets leaked before the season is over? I just want to know now, ha.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Anyone interested in posting the Jays new depth chart?

For real, my best guess would be (starter at the front, reserve in brackets in order)

1B) Guerrero (Tellez, Vogelbach, Shaw)
2B) Biggio (Villar, Panik, Espinal)
SS) Villar (Panik, Espinal, Bichette+)
3B) Shaw (Villar, Panik, Espinal)
LF) Guerriel (Fisher, Biggio, Villar, McKinney*)
CF) Grichuk (Fisher, Davis*)
RF) Hernandez (Fisher, Biggio, Grichuk, McKinney*)
C) Jansen (McGuire, Joseph*, Kirk*)
DH) Tellez (Guerrero, Vogelbach, whoever else needs a day off)

SP
1) Ryu
2) Roark
3) Walker
4) Anderson
5) Stripling
IL: Pearson, Shoemaker, Thornton

RP
1) Bass
2) Dolis
3) Borucki
4) Hatch
5) Kay
6) Cole
7) Merryweather
8) Yamaguchi
9) Font
10) Waguespack
11*) Reid-Foley
IL: Giles, Romano

*Not on active roster
+Injured

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
What's the likelihood the name of the prospect we have to give up that the Dodgers "really like" gets leaked before the season is over? I just want to know now, ha.

We will probably know in the next few days.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Yankees Gerrit Cole gave up 2 HRs today vs the Rays. He is tied for the leagues lead in HRs allowed with Ross Stripling with 12.

Reactions: Morgs

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
Im actually nervous about it tbh. If it took the 12th best prospect to get a free agent in villar imagine what a guy sig ed past this yr will get. Only good news is that ut is 2 ptbnl so that usually mean 2 lesser prospects instead of a higher one. (Hopefully). Friedman did say one is close to the majors. The other is further away

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
For real, my best guess would be (starter at the front, reserve in brackets in order)

1B) Guerrero (Tellez, Vogelbach, Shaw)
2B) Biggio (Villar, Panik, Espinal)
SS) Villar (Panik, Espinal, Bichette+)
3B) Shaw (Villar, Panik, Espinal)
LF) Guerriel (Fisher, Biggio, Villar, McKinney*)
CF) Grichuk (Fisher, Davis*)
RF) Hernandez (Fisher, Biggio, Grichuk, McKinney*)
C) Jansen (McGuire, Joseph*, Kirk*)
DH) Tellez (Guerrero, Vogelbach, whoever else needs a day off)

SP
1) Ryu
2) Roark
3) Walker
4) Anderson
5) Stripling
IL: Pearson, Shoemaker, Thornton

RP
1) Bass
2) Dolis
3) Borucki
4) Hatch
5) Kay
6) Cole
7) Merryweather
8) Yamaguchi
9) Font
10) Waguespack
11*) Reid-Foley
IL: Giles, Romano

*Not on active roster
+Injured

+Robbie Ray

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Not too happy if we ended up trading Conine for one month of Villar. Connie may end up busting, but he's worth more than one month of a two WAR player I would think.

Reactions: phillipmike

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
1. Hyun-Jin Ryu
2. Ross Stripling
3. Matt Shoemaker
4. Taijuan Walker
5. Nate Pearson / Robbie Ray / Chase Anderson / Tanner Roark

This is what I'm hoping the rotation looks like (5 in order of preference). With injuries though:

1. Ryu
2. Stripling
3. Walker
4. Ray
5. Anderson

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
We should’ve been after Villar when he got waived by the Orioles. Losing any prospect stings a bit. I wonder if we resign Villar.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Not too happy if we ended up trading Conine for one month of Villar. Connie may end up busting, but he's worth more than one month of a two WAR player I would think.

I usually don't love moves like this, but I'm so low on Conine that I don't mind. I just REALLY don't see him as a major leaguer.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Im actually nervous about it tbh. If it took the 12th best prospect to get a free agent in villar imagine what a guy sig ed past this yr will get. Only good news is that ut is 2 ptbnl so that usually mean 2 lesser prospects instead of a higher one. (Hopefully). Friedman did say one is close to the majors. The other is further away
I'm a bit nervous, but also curious because I want to know how close Conine + these 2 prospects will be to what Clevinger returned.

If we gave up a top 10 prospect then I hope we really tried for Clevinger first and the demands were too high.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
If qualified, Villar would bring a compensation pick I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad