Trade Deadline Moves That Directly Led To A Cup

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
With the trade deadline approaching, this always becomes a topic of discussion, so let's see how many moves we can list that can be directly attributed to a team's Stanley Cup win.

The first trade that always springs to mind as being the quintessential trade deadline move was the Islanders' acquisition of Butch Goring from the LA Kings for Dave Lewis and Billy Harris. The Islanders would go on to win their first of four consecutive Stanley Cups, with Goring capturing a Conn Smythe during the Isles' second Cup run.

The Ron Francis trade to Pittsburgh also comes to mind as a significant addition for Pittsburgh that led to back-to-back Stanley Cups.

There have been a few others that have had a similar impact, some of which took place within the same season. Colorado acquiring Patrick Roy and Mike Keane in 1995-96. Then they do it again with Rob Blake in 2001.

The Red Wings trading for Brendan Shanahan in 1996-97 led to back-to-back Stanley Cups, and more down the road.

The most recent ones that springs to mind was LA acquiring Jeff Carter from Columbus in 2012, and then landing Marian Gaborik in 2014, once again from Columbus.

The Ducks landing Chris Pronger also directly led to their Cup win in 2007, although that occurred right before the start of the season.

Reviewing the list of names traded, that's an all-star roster of players who all played a significant part on Cup winning teams. What are there some of the other pivotal deals that I haven't listed that occurred within the season a team won a Cup that should receive similar recognition?

Reactions: Tarantula

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
That Shanahan trade I've always said turned those good Red Wings teams in the 90's into the contenders they would become.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
That Shanahan trade I've always said turned those good Red Wings teams in the 90's into the contenders they would become.

I'm pretty certain there's no way the Red Wings get past Colorado if they don't land Shanahan.

I also should mention the Rangers and their series of moves in '94 ,with Keenan bringing in his favorite boys from Chicago and some of Messier's old buddies from Edmonton.

And the following year, New Jersey adds Neal Broten, who finished second in playoff scoring for the Devils with 19 points in 20 games. Not too shabby for a 35-year-old.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
NJ bringing in Neil Broten in 1995 was huge - the team had a big, gaping hole at #1 C all season after letting Bernie Nicholls go in the off-season. Doubt they win the Cup without him.

Shawn Chambers wasn't as critical in 1995, but he was important too, as he was partnered with Scott Stevens for the majority of the playoffs.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Along with Broten, a couple pivotal deadline acquisitions on the Devils Cup teams:

2000:

Vladimir Malakhov - This one usually goes under the radar since Malakhov was an enigmatic talent. But when he was on, there weren't many 6'4 smooth skating defenseman with a physical edge. It was a luxury to have him on the 3rd pairing. For me, he was always the difference between the Devils team that won the Cup in 2000 and the Devils team that came just short in 2001.

Alex Mogilny - He didn't produce immediately, but he added a needed secondary offensive threat which had been missing from the 1997-99 teams which got bounced early. He didn't score that many goals during that run, but he was involved in some big moments. Mogilny added a huge insurance goal in game 6 of the ECF to make it 2-0 (Lindros would score late). Then in game 7, Mogilny got caught on a long shift but helped set up the game winning goal with Arnott/Elias. In game 6 of the SCF, Mogilny would replace an injured Petr Sykora on the top line. The Elias no look pass to Arnott goal was possible to due to the passing lane opening up when Sylvain Cote was caught out of position since he thought the pass would be going to Mogilny.

2003:

Grant Marshall - This iteration of the club was offensively challenged compared to the 2000/01 ones. The Devils allegedly had a deal in place for Teemu Selanne at the deadline, but he blocked the move with a NTC. So instead the Devils were left with Grant Marshall as the main deadline addition. To everybody's surprise, Marshall played well on the de facto top line with Elias and Scott Gomez. Going into those playoffs, Marshall had 0 goals in 59 playoff games. But he got the OT series winner against Tampa, and assisted on the Game 7 winner against Ottawa (which Marshall admits was mostly luck).

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
a couple of one year lags—

calgary giving away brett hull for ramage (and wamsley) at the 1988 deadline won them the 89 cup

vancouver *not* trading for seidenberg at the 2010 deadline won boston the cup in 2011

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
1980-New York Islanders trade the very first player they drafted in 1972, Billy Harris, in exchange for Butch Goring. Gives them the grit they likely lacked in 1978 (losing to the Leafs) and 1979 (losing to the New York Rangers).

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
The Red Wings trading for Brendan Shanahan in 1996-97 led to back-to-back Stanley Cups, and more down the road.

That wasnt a deadline deal and also wasnt directly related to winning the cup. The aquisition of Larry Murphy for future considerations were.

I'm pretty certain there's no way the Red Wings get past Colorado if they don't land Shanahan.

This myth needs to die. Shanahan scored 3 points and a EN in game 7 vs Avs. It was Fedorov, Larionov, Kozlov and Lapointe that went beast mode that series.

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
That wasnt a deadline deal and also wasnt directly related to winning the cup. The aquisition of Larry Murphy for future considerations were.

I made an amendment and mentioned of other deals that took place within the year the respective teams won a Cup, like Roy to Colorado.

This myth needs to die. Shanahan scored 3 points and a EN in game 7 vs Avs. It was Fedorov, Larionov, Kozlov and Lapointe that went beast mode that series.

Think of it this way. Shanahan gave Detroit better matchups up front, as he was up top playing with Yzerman and McCarty/Lapointe. Without that forward depth and a Shanahan being in Colorado's face at all times, I'm not sure Detroit gets past Colorado. He picked up four points in the series and also provided a physical presence. Keith Primeau wasn't doing that for Detroit.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Yeah, looking at the game purely from "well, he only scored X points in the series" is a tough look...there was a bigger change with that group than the four points you tried to whittle down to three...game is played on ice.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Think of it this way. Shanahan gave Detroit better matchups up front, as he was up top playing with Yzerman and McCarty/Lapointe. Without that forward depth and a Shanahan being in Colorado's face at all times, I'm not sure Detroit gets past Colorado. He picked up four points in the series and also provided a physical presence. Keith Primeau wasn't doing that for Detroit.

One of the 4 points was an EN goal in an already decided game. He got 3 points. While he obviously provided more than Primeau did, so did Dino. Larry was the difference maker for that team as it finally gave Lidström the ultimate partner for his playstyle. I think people give Shanny a bit too much credit. Especially in hindsight.

It was Lapointe who had his break through that season and was stellar vs Avs. The pitbull of the playoffs.

There were also the Draper - Maltby combo that kinda debuted that season and gave detroit one of the best shut down lines in history.

Then ofcourse we have McCarty suddenly going beast mode vs Flyers. A series that Shanahan also was a key factor in.

Yeah, looking at the game purely from "well, he only scored X points in the series" is a tough look...there was a bigger change with that group than the four points you tried to whittle down to three...game is played on ice.

Please rewatch the Avs series and then come back to me and tell me Shanahan was the "X factor" that got us through it. I have all games here. Within arm reach and it wasnt that long ago I watched them.

Though I will say his man handling of Corbet was satifying. :laugh:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

i agree.

but on top of that, you also just have to look at the pure value they added.

they downgraded on hall of fame defensemen but could easily take the hit because they had two other norris contenders.

meanwhile, they added a borderline franchise player in his prime to be, what? the 3rd best forward/5th or 6th most important player on the team? that's an insane upgrade, even without talking about physicality, leadership, swagger.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
i agree.

but on top of that, you also just have to look at the pure value they added.

they downgraded on hall of fame defensemen but could easily take the hit because they had two other norris contenders.

meanwhile, they added a borderline franchise player in his prime to be, what? the 3rd best forward/5th or 6th most important player on the team? that's an insane upgrade, even without talking about physicality, leadership, swagger.

No one stated he wasnt an upgrade. There is difference between being "the reason wings won" and "being a great upgrade". I think sayng Shanny is the reason we won is a disservice to the certain players that made it happen.

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
Habs picked up Frank Mahovlich half way through the 71 season. He went on to lead the playoffs in scoring.

Obviously Dryden was the key in 71, but they don't win without the Big M.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I do sometimes think these trades are over-stated in terms of "won them the Cup". The fact is, we'll never know.

I do think the Flames would have won in '89 without Ramage.

Not sure about the Wings/Shanahan. I think Murphy was more important.

Reactions: VanIslander

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
The Shanahan deal occurred in October, not at the deadline the Pronger deal was also not at the deadline but over the summer. As a RANGER fan its the deal they didnt make in 2012 that pisses me off. If they pulled the trigger on Nash,Ryan, or Carter were looking at a Stanley Cup that year ughhh.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Amonte (and the rights to Matt Oates) for Noonan and Matteau went well for the Rangers in '94. Matteau scores the huge OT goal in game 7 of the Conference Finals, Noonan assisted on what turned out to be the Cup winner against Vancouver.

cole von cole

Mar 1, 2016
Detroit trading a 2nd and a 4th for Brad Stuart in 2008
Kings trading Matt Frattin and 2 draft picks for Marian Gaborik in 2014

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Bruins 2011 had 2 deadline deals that won the Cup

Rich Peverley for Wheeler and Mark Stuart:

Simply put, the Bruins dont win the Cup without Peverley. When Horton went down in The Finals, Peverley stepped into the 1st line and didnt miss a beat scoring 2-2-4 over 5 games.

Chris Kelly for a 2nd:

Kelly was a big piece of that Cup run as well. Centering the 3rd line, he gave them depth scoring and helped make up for the loss of Savard. The 3rd line of Ryder - Kelly - Peverley is what got the Bruins past Montreal in round 1. Especially Kelly who had 3-3-6 in those 7 games.

Basically, no Peverley or Kelly = no 2011 Bruins Cup

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Interestingly, the Red Wings back to back Cups in 97 and 98 saw them solidify their top 4 on D for the playoffs in deadline deals for 2 different cast off Leafs Dmen...

1997 brought in Larry Murphy, who paired perfectly with Lidstrom and gave them a solid top 4 of:

Lidstrom - Murphy
Konstantinov - Fetisov

1998 brought in Jamie Macoun, who was supposed to be a veteran depth bit part, but beat out Fetisov, Anders Eriksson, Aaron Ward and the other deadline acquisition who was supposed to form a "New Russian 5" - Dmirti Mironov, to climb to #3 on the depth chart and form a solid shutdown 2nd pairing with Bob Rouse. They had:

Lidstrom - Murphy
Rouse - Macoun

I wonder if Ken Holland regrets how he tinkered with the Red Wings D in the summer of 1998... Loaded a Brinks truck for Uwe Krupp, then didn't think Rouse was in the plans, and lowballed Fetisov into retirement. The result was a disaster... No need to explain what happened with Krupp, Macoun was basically done without Rouse, Eriksson went through a rough sophomore slump, Ward could barely step out of Bowman's doghouse and Yan Golubovsky was a non factor. They had to rely on an in transition from wing to D Dandenault and waiver claim journeyman Todd Gill (who ended up missing 2 months with in an injury) before they went out and got Chelios and Samuelsson.

They probably would've been better off leaving Krupp (and their 2nd choice Lumme) alone, extending Rouse and Fetisov for a year and they still would've been able to add Chelios and Samuelsson. Their D for the 98 playoffs would've been:

Lidstrom-Murphy
Samuelsson-Chelios
Two of Fetisov/Rouse/Macoun/maybe Ward or Dandenault

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
March 4, 1991: Pittsburgh receives Ron Francis, Ulf Samuelsson, and Grant Jennings for John Cullen, Zarley Zalapski and Jeff Parker

February 19, 1992: Pittsburgh receives Rich Tocchet, Kjell Samuelsson, Ken Wregget and a 3rd rd. pick for Mark Recchi, Brian Benning and a 1st rd. pick in a 3-way deal that also sends Paul Coffey to LA for Jeff Chychrun

March 4, 2009: Pittsburgh receives Bill Guerin from NY Islanders for a 3rd rd. pick

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad