Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline Day/Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
holy sh*t. It’s takes like this that just make you shake your head and wonder if people really understand the game in any respect at all.

The guy is absolutely NOT trash. The guy is an excellent bottom pairing dman that can slot in as a number 4. He’s excellent positionally and moves the puck well. He also bleeds Canuck colours and is an outstanding teammate.

He’s not Derek Pouliot or Matt Bartkowski. That’s trash.

Wake up.
Poliot and Bartowski aren’t NHLers. Stecher is. Barely. He is constantly getting crushed in his own end and he has a muffin shot. We need some size on the backend not another smurf. I don’t give a f*** what the analytics say (although I’m pretty sure they also say he is sh!t). I watch every game and the ice is tilted towards our net every time he steps over the boards. We aren’t winning jack in the playoffs until our weak links are upgraded. Stecher and our 4th line need work

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I'm kind of just waiting for the trade to happen.
I doubt it happens on deadline day, probably tonight. If it happens at all.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
It’s probably jus the eastern media trying to drum up hype over Barrie. Doubt anything happens...other than maybe a Simmonds type move

Reactions: dps

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Extension incoming for Bergervin

I know what you're trying to do here, but a 2nd and 3rd is more than every pick Benning has acquired at the deadline cumulatively (including 3 seasons where we were not even close to playoffs at the deadline).

Picks acquired at the deadline through 6 seasons current stands at a single 4th round pick.

We're essentially just passing up free picks by holding onto all of our pending UFAs in years past, or trying to trade them for age gap/waiver eligible prospects. Picks are absolutely flying off the shelves for marginal players at the deadline.

Last edited:

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Marc Bergevin is the embodiment of the HF armchair GM mentality where the goal isn’t to make the playoffs but to get extra 3rd round picks and hope everything will turn out okay

Not really. Bergevin has made some good moves, especially acquiring picks, but the Habs have made some terrible picks and some terrible trade decisions, see: trading Sergachev for Drouin.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I know what you're trying to do here, but a 2nd and 3rd is more than every pick Benning has acquired at the deadline cumulatively (including 3 seasons where we were not even close to playoffs at the deadline).

Picks acquired at the deadline through 6 seasons current stands at a single 4th round pick.

We're essentially just passing up free picks by holding onto all of our pending UFAs in years past, or trying to trade them for age gap/waiver eligible prospects. Picks are absolutely flying off the shelves for marginal players at the deadline.
Benning doesn’t value picks. Other than first round picks that is. Rightly or wrongly they aren’t a priority and never have been

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

DOES NOT MATTER, in Bergervin’s case particularly

Marc Bergervins has been trying to make the Habs win now for a while, he fails every time.
They were suppose to be in the playoffs this season lead by a young core, instead every young player who has looked promising before the season has failed miserably except Suzuki.

But Bergervin would probably gets another another another extension because LATE ROUND PICKS!!!

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
DOES NOT MATTER, in Bergervin’s case particularly

Marc Bergervins has been trying to make the Habs win now for a while, he fails every time.
They were suppose to be in the playoffs this season lead by a young core, instead everyone young player who has looked promising before the season has failed miserably except Suzuki.

But Bergervin would be probab gets another another another extension because LATE ROUND PICKS!!!

Bergevin gets extensions because he's french Canadian no other reason.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Drafting Hughes and Petterson has made up for a lot of mistakes. I would say it has made up for all the mistakes. Hughes is an elite dman who is likely worth then both Thachuk's by himself. We likely got our franchise best d man and center in back to back drafts. The biggest mistakes of Benning is the OJ pick, the Ericksson signing and then Gradbranson trade. Hughes and Petterson have made up for first two, through ELC production. and Pearson largely made up for 3rd big mistake. You can now argue team is where it should be in a good rebuild. Sutter Beagle and Sven are cap issues tbd still but should not kill rebuild.

dombrova22

Apr 12, 2017
Yeah - I feel like it fell through or it would have been done by now.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

in before people start to move the goal post

YES, Benning should get fired if we missed the playoffs this season, because he made the Miller trade that shows his intention from the start.

Even if we manage to get 10 more picks before the draft, he still should be fired

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I understand being jealous of Marc Bergevin. The habs are a team in the stage of their life cycle where playoffs aren't happening and it's time to sell off and rebuild.

We just went through that for the last 4 seasons but didn't sell off really anything, didn't accumulate draft picks, and barely rebuilt.

Now it doesn't make sense for Vancouver to do that, but when you wanted the team to do it for the past 4 seasons, I get the jealousy.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Non TDL but my favourite was when Dale Tallon failed to get eight qualifying offers sent to his players in time.

There was a rumor that he was looking at acquiring Gudbranson again. How is he still employed as a NHL GM?

Reactions: vanuck

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
holy sh*t. It’s takes like this that just make you shake your head and wonder if people really understand the game in any respect at all.

The guy is absolutely NOT trash. The guy is an excellent bottom pairing dman that can slot in as a number 4. He’s excellent positionally and moves the puck well. He also bleeds Canuck colours and is an outstanding teammate.

He’s not Derek Pouliot or Matt Bartkowski. That’s trash.

Wake up.

Barrie is better but I really don't see the need to get rid of Stecher and pay for a rental in Barrie. It would be different if had the luxury to add Barrie to a strong d corps that we want to platoon into whatever role he might fit, and if he does well, great. We would be adding Barrie to be a nice upgrade on Stetcher that will make a big difference in our d corps but he isn't. I think it says a lot that two teams in a playoff hunt are looking to trade each player...

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I understand being jealous of Marc Bergevin. The habs are a team in the stage of their life cycle where playoffs aren't happening and it's time to sell off and rebuild.

We just went through that for the last 4 seasons but didn't sell off really anything, didn't accumulate draft picks, and barely rebuilt.

Now it doesn't make sense for Vancouver to do that, but when you wanted the team to do it for the past 4 seasons, I get the jealousy.
I’m not jealous at all. Habs are my second favourite team. They’ve been stuck in mediocrity for years and no end in sight. They can’t even tank with the Weber and Price contracts. They have no real superstars. Just a mess. Not sure how Bergevin still has a job.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
I’m not jealous at all. Habs are my second favourite team. They’ve been stuck in mediocrity for years and no end in sight. They can’t even tank with the Weber and Price contracts. They have no real superstars. Just a mess. Not sure how Bergevin still has a job.

Simplify it to, they're a team that sees they aren't making the playoffs this year and are selling off assets for futures/picks.

When that's all you wanted your GM to do for the last 4 years, I can see the jealousy.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Simplify it to, they're a team that sees they aren't making the playoffs this year and are selling off assets for futures/picks.

When that's all you wanted your GM to do for the last 4 years, I can see the jealousy.
Oh don’t get me wrong I wish Benning has done that too. It would have really sped up the rebuild. I just don’t think it moves the needle at all for Montreal. I like what LA and the NYR are doing a lot better. They’ve got the high end prospects and the picks.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Leafs fan here, I’ve been a huge Barrie fan since his junior days but for whatever reason he just hasn’t fit. We don’t have someone like Edler for him to play with which makes me think they would be a good tandem. Ever since Keefe came in his offensive game improved dramatically.

Reactions: Diamonddog01
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad