Pre-Game Talk: Trade Deadline Day is here! - All trade discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragernschnapple

Feb 24, 2017
I think Nill will look at our 3rd period against Chicago and think we battled hard enough in it and looked good enough offensively to play good enough defensive/safe hockey until Zuccarello returns. I think this because it's basically what Monty said.

It's sad but I'd say there's a 95% chance we see absolutely nothing from him tomorrow. Hope I'm wrong.
At least trade Honka or Nichuskin so we can call up L’Esperance & Gurianov to form the Hintz-L’Esperance-Gurianov line.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
At least trade Honka or Nichuskin so we can call up L’Esperance & Gurianov to form the Hintz-L’Esperance-Gurianov line.

I really don't get why they won't just move Honka. I mean someone out there has to have interest right? Even if it's a late pick or something. He's never going to play. Hell I think even Bayreuther and Hanley would be called up to play before Honka.

Ragernschnapple

Feb 24, 2017
I really don't get why they won't just move Honka. I mean someone out there has to have interest right? Even if it's a late pick or something. He's never going to play. Hell I think even Bayreuther and Hanley would be called up to play before Honka.
Oh I agree. I don’t get it. He’ll never play. I think somebody would give up a 4th, like when we traded Oleksiak. He should be moved before tomorrow’s deadline. If he’s not, then Nill dropped the ball again. Makes ZERO sense to keep him.

Ragernschnapple

Feb 24, 2017
The only thing that would make sense is Nill thinks with Methot, Polak, Lovejoy, and Fedun all being free agents, and John’s probably retiring, Honka might grow and compete for a spot next season. I just don’t think Nill wants to admit he made a mistake drafting Honka & Nichuskin.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Honka doesn't have that much value and trading someone just for the sake of trading him is dumb.

By the way the Nyquist trade is basically the Zuccarello trade added the fact Nyquist had a NMC and that gave the Sharks less leverage. Plus i think Zuccarello is a better player

Last edited:

Ragernschnapple

Feb 24, 2017
Honka doesn't have that much value and trading someone just for the sake of trading him is dumb.

By the way the Nyquist trade is basically the Zuccarello trade added the fact Nyquist had a NMC and that gave the Sharks less leverage. Plus i think Zuccarello is a better player
Trading Honka creates a roster spot for somebody useful. He will not play for the Stars again this season, maybe ever. Montgomery doesn’t want to play him. He doesn’t trust him. Like Kcb said, Nill would call up Bayreuther or Hanley to play over Honka if Injuries forced that decision. Honka can’t gain value as a healthy scratch. If you don’t trade him for something now his value will continue to drop, and Dallas will end up losing him on waivers. It’ll be just like Nemeth.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Trading Honka creates a roster spot for somebody useful. He will not play for the Stars again this season, maybe ever. Montgomery doesn’t want to play him. He doesn’t trust him. Like Kcb said, Nill would call up Bayreuther or Hanley to play over Honka if Injuries forced that decision. Honka can’t gain value as a healthy scratch. If you don’t trade him something now his value will continue to drop, and Dallas will end up losing him on waivers. It’ll be just like Nemeth.

We don't need rosterspots anymore once the deadline is over . You can have as many players as you want sitting in the pressbox after that. Only 4 callups and you must still be under the Cap but roster spots don't matter anymore.

Ragernschnapple

Feb 24, 2017
We don't need rosterspots anymore once the deadline is over . You can have as many players as you want sitting in the pressbox after that. Only 4 callups and you must still be under the Cap but roster spots don't matter anymore.
Oh that’s right. I forgot. Still doesn’t change the fact about Honka not playing for Dallas again. Montgomery doesn’t trust him. He played Carrick over Honka when he dressed 7 D recently, and Carrick was Terrible! Honka’s not going to gain value the longer he sits as a healthy scratch.

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Oh that’s right. I forgot. Still doesn’t change the fact about Honka not playing for Dallas again. Montgomery doesn’t trust him. He played Carrick over Honka when he dressed 7 D, and Carrick was Terrible! Honka’s not going to gain value the longer he sits as a healthy scratch.

You still only make a move if it makes sense to do it. If you get a trade for Honka for a piece that helps ? Sure go ahead but not for i don't know a 4th rounder like what happened with Oleksiak or lose him for free like we did with Nemeth.

Ragernschnapple

Feb 24, 2017
You still only make a move if it makes sense to do it. If you get a trade for Honka for a piece that helps ? Sure go ahead but not for i don't know a 4th rounder like what happened with Oleksiak or lose him for free like we did with Nemeth.
So you’d rather lose him on waivers than get a 4th round pick? Honka doesn’t have much value. What do you think Dallas can get for him? Do you think a year from now, when he’s played in 8 more games, if that, his value will be higher? He’s useless to Dallas if he’s not playing hockey.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
So you’d rather lose him on waivers than get a 4th round pick? Honka doesn’t have much value. What do you think Dallas can get for him? Do you think a year from now, when he’s played in 8 more games, if that, his value will be higher? He’s useless to Dallas if he’s not playing hockey.

No ? I don't want either to happen ( maybe i wrote it in a confusing way ) i want value for him that helps the team now or not move him at all if we can't get that. No reason to trade him right now for obscure futures. You also just don't know if he doesn't play next year .

Ragernschnapple

Feb 24, 2017
No ? I don't want either to happen ( maybe i wrote it in a confusing way ) i want value for him that helps the team now or not move him at all if we can't get that. No reason to trade him right now for obscure futures. You also just don't know if he doesn't play next year .
We know when Dallas had multiple D-men injured earlier this season Montgomery played Bayreuther & Hanley over Honka. Nill also traded a 7th for Fedun to play over Honka. I guess Nill & Montgomery could get fired and a new GM & Coach might give him a shot.
Look, I’d love to get Brassard for Honka, or Carter for Honka, but that’s just not gonna happen. I guess Nill could try something like Honka for Vanek & a 4th. Dallas needs draft picks. Teams aren’t going to lineup for Honka in the offseason when he was sctratched most of the season. Draft pick gets lower as time goes by.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
We know when Dallas had multiple D-men injured earlier this season Montgomery played Bayreuther & Hanley over Honka. Nill also traded a 7th for Fedun to play over Honka. I guess Nill & Montgomery could get fired and a new GM & Coach might give him a shot.
Look, I’d love to get Brassard for Honka, or Carter for Honka, but that’s just not gonna happen. I guess Nill could try something like Honka for Vanek & a 4th. Dallas needs draft picks. Teams aren’t going to lineup for Honka in the offseason when he was sctratched most of the season. Draft pick gets lower as time goes by.

Fedun was traded for to play in the AHL until even more defenseman got injured and it turned out undrafted offensive defenseman Ben Gleason with less than 10 AHL games under his belt was unsuprisingly not ready for the NHL ( and Heatherington beeing just awful )

Yeah it turns out he's played alot in the NHL but that wasn't the plan when he was aquired.

Honka wouldn't be the first guy to turn it around after a rough start to his career. You don't need to trade him for lower round draft picks right now that probably don't amount to anything.

We trade him for a fourth and now what ? Unless we turn around turn that 4th into a player right now that doesn't do anything for the team.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I by the way think someone like Duclair or a similar player could be had for cheap. Bounced around alot but his offensive skill is there. Not really a good team hockey player though.

Ragernschnapple

Feb 24, 2017
Fedun was traded for to play in the AHL until even more defenseman got injured and it turned out undrafted offensive defenseman Ben Gleason with less than 10 AHL games under his belt was unsuprisingly not ready for the NHL ( and Heatherington beeing just awful )

Yeah it turns out he's played alot in the NHL but that wasn't the plan when he was aquired.
Ok. The AHL depth Guy ended up playing over Honka. Did Gleason even play over Honka? Heatherington? Why again do you think Montgomery would play Honka next season?

Ragernschnapple

Feb 24, 2017
I by the way think someone like Duclair or a similar player could be had for cheap. Bounced around alot but his offensive skill is there. Not really a good team hockey player though.
That would work for me. Just get something for Honka now before his value continues to nose dive.
I personally would like to see Honka tried out at forward, but Monty’s never going to do that. I bet he could score more than Nichushkin.

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Ok. The AHL depth Guy ended up playing over Honka. Did Gleason even play over Honka? Heatherington? Why again do you think Montgomery would play Honka next season?

No they didn't . Especially not Heatherington. I remember Monty playing Honka on the Pk over lump of meat Heatherington . Heatherington was clearly the player Monty liked the least out of every defenseman we used. Gleason got some offensive minutes over Honka .

Because maybe he doesn't make that many mistakes next season ? We don't know yet.

Ragernschnapple

Feb 24, 2017
No they didn't . Especially not Heatherington. I remember Monty playing Honka on the Pk over lump of meat Heatherington . Heatherington was clearly the player Monty liked the least out of every defenseman we used. Gleason got some offensive minutes over Honka .

Because maybe he doesn't make that many mistakes next season ? We don't know yet.
I guess we’ll see over the next 10 hours. Hopefully Nill does something to improve the team. Team needs another spark, even if it’s a small one. I’m sure the players are pretty deflated by the Zuccarello and Benn injuries. We all are. Ben Lovejoy’s not going to be scoring very many goals for Dallas.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Tufte + Nichushkin + Honka for Hayes and a 4th.

If somehow we make the playoffs, we'd have a real quality side when Zuccarello returns.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Tufte + Nichushkin + Honka for Hayes and a 4th.

If somehow we make the playoffs, we'd have a real quality side when Zuccarello returns.

There's no way Predators , Calgary or some other team doesn't beat our best reasonable offer. The best Stars can hope for with what he have is scraps or someone doing us a huge favor for some reason.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
There's no way Predators , Calgary or some other team doesn't beat our best reasonable offer. The best Stars can hope for with what he have is scraps or someone doing us a huge favor for some reason.
Maybe they pity us and take it

Reactions: serp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad