GDT: Trade Deadline - 3pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So you hated the Maroon trade too, I presume.
Must hate the Johansson trade as well in the offseason before as well, since we were never doing anything in the playoffs we should have kept the picks.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
So you hated the Maroon trade too, I presume.
For the price, that was a completely acceptable trade. The second and Rykov should absolutely not have been in play for a rental with the state of the team and their realistic goals.

Must hate the Johansson trade as well in the offseason before as well, since we were never doing anything in the playoffs we should have kept the picks.
Lol what? Johansson was a long-term piece at the time and signed for multiple seasons. Not even close to analogous.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
For the price, that was a completely acceptable trade. The second and Rykov should absolutely not have been in play for a rental with the state of the team and their realistic goals.
By your logic, it's still a completely wasted asset if we weren't going to do anything anyway.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
By your logic, it's still a completely wasted asset if we weren't going to do anything anyway.
Also true. But I'm not going to lose sleep over a 3rd and Joey Dudek. The bottom line is the upside of both deals were almost nill, but we gave up actual value for Grabner.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Also true. But I'm not going to lose sleep over a 3rd and Joey Dudek.
Were you that high on Rykov? I believe the rumors were that he was reluctant to come over to North America.

Would you have been as upset if we had only given a 3rd for Grabner?

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Were you that high on Rykov? I believe the rumors were that he was reluctant to come over to North America.

Rykov has a definite chance to contribute in a top 4 role. He was signed through this season, but all the "he won't come over" stuff never popped up until after the trade. I think he'll be coming over to NA for the Rags next season.

I wouldn't have a made a trade for any deadline rental last season, such as the team was. But a 3rd? Sure, whatever.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Lol what? Johansson was a long-term piece at the time and signed for multiple seasons. Not even close to analogous.
I disagree. He was only signed for two seasons and it was unlikely that we would contend in those two seasons, so we have up draft picks for a stop gap piece.

Reactions: Darkauron

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
I disagree. He was only signed for two seasons and it was unlikely that we would contend in those two seasons, so we have up draft picks for a stop gap piece.
We gave up Lou Lamoriello and Marc Savard for a 40-50 point forward who was unlucky with concussions in his time here. He could have become a long term piece if not for injuries. And we literally contended in one of those seasons and he was hardly a factor because of said injuries.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

There might have been rumors, but rumors have him ready to jump over now. Maybe he wasn’t all that thrilled about playing for the Devils but the Rangers are worth it for him?

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think the statute of limitations on that trade expired when the team made the playoffs. Yes, it's questionable whether Grabner contributed anything, but the team qualified by one point, so it's hard to apply the butterfly effect in such a close run situation.

Grabner had a GWG, so without it we may not have made the playoffs.:sarcasm:

Reactions: My3Sons

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
We gave up Lou Lamoriello and Marc Savard for a 40-50 point forward who was unlucky with concussions in his time here. He could have become a long term piece if not for injuries. And we literally contended in one of those seasons and he was hardly a factor because of said injuries.
To be clear I wasn't saying I disliked the trade, just that it was also a rental move for futures, it was just longer.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It was certainly a bust.

Every time they tell us there'll be tons of activity, there usually isn't.

Ol Dirty Bstrd

Nov 25, 2007
Would anyone have matched Vegas offer for a signed Stone? Say Smith, Noesen and a 2nd. And assume we have to give Stone 10 mil since we’re not a contender and he’d have to pay taxes.

Value wise it’s pretty good, but the putrid state of our defense makes me reluctant to deal Smith. Plus we’d have to tie up over 20 mil in two wingers or risk Hall leaving and going back to square one (minus our best prospect). Obviously a hypothetical since there was no chance of this happening but interesting to think about

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It was certainly a bust.

Every time they tell us there'll be tons of activity, there usually isn't.

A lot of teams took care of their business before trade deadline. The West only had two obvious sellers in LA and Anaheim, and they did most of their moves in the last few weeks. And in the East it was mostly Ottawa and us that were the big sellers.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
A lot of teams took care of their business before trade deadline. The West only had two obvious sellers in LA and Anaheim, and they did most of their moves in the last few weeks. And in the East it was mostly Ottawa and us that were the big sellers.
I figured somebody like Hoffman would go, as well as a few others.

And I expected the Sharks to get a better goalie for insurance, but meanwhile, back in the land of Mediocre Martin Jones. And Vegas gets another guy who will undress him out of his shorts left and right. Hopefully Fleury is burnt out and tired, between the long run last year and them forcing him to play almost every game this year and rarely playing the backup.

I don't even believe this meme that Martin Jones raises his game for the playoffs. He was brutal against Vegas last year, from the opening minutes of game 1 with some early softies in what became a blowout loss. But because he was so good in the Anaheim sweep and only allowed 4 goals in 4 games (.970%), you won't notice how bad he was against Vegas because overall in the playoffs he was .928%.

I probably sound like the Sharks resident DD here, but I really think this should be their year, but it also could be a first round exit if they get the Jones we're so used to seeing this year.

Camille the Eel

Nashville is interesting picking up both Boyle and Simmons because they just got more Nashville. 2 big slow bruisers with good hands who like to operate in traffic down low. Simmons better than Boyle of course.

But unlike Vegas (Stone) and Columbus (Duchene), they didn’t get more creative or skilled. These two teams upgraded.

I like Columbus keeping the Bread man and trying to push for something. If they were going to move him and expect to get anything like value back, they had to have done it back in training camp.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Nashville is interesting picking up both Boyle and Simmons because they just got more Nashville. 2 big slow bruisers with good hands who like to operate in traffic down low. Simmons better than Boyle of course.

But unlike Vegas (Stone) and Columbus (Duchene), they didn’t get more creative or skilled. These two teams upgraded.

I like Columbus keeping the Bread man and trying to push for something. If they were going to move him and expect to get anything like value back, they had to have done it back in training camp.
Nashville got Granlund

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Would anyone have matched Vegas offer for a signed Stone? Say Smith, Noesen and a 2nd. And assume we have to give Stone 10 mil since we’re not a contender and he’d have to pay taxes.

Value wise it’s pretty good, but the putrid state of our defense makes me reluctant to deal Smith. Plus we’d have to tie up over 20 mil in two wingers or risk Hall leaving and going back to square one (minus our best prospect). Obviously a hypothetical since there was no chance of this happening but interesting to think about

Easy pass. We are in no position to be paying that on top of that contract for a winger.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Gudbranson on Pittsburgh now for Pearson to Vancouver.

Vancouver wins this, they just should have cut bait 2-3 weeks ago, when they still had a legit shot at the playoffs.

Guy is such a crater.

Pittsburgh's D just got worse. Now they have two useless bums back there in Johnson and Gudbranson. 2 more years on Gudbranson's deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->