GDT: Trade Deadline 2020

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You can't just add pieces when the money is spent, you can't just do whatever you want in a Cap world.
Chayka seems to think our cap is not a problem. Who knows, maybe some teams want a Kessel, Stepan, Gogo, Demers, Fischer, Vinnie etc. etc.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He also thinks this core is good enough.
It's not a bad core, and it's a core to work with. We would have to add pieces for next year even if we made the playoffs, and for the first time Chayka has no excuses. Everything falls to him. Let's see what happens when he is under pressure. He has to show the fans and players that losing will not be tolerated.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
With the core... I'd like to see what they would be like under an actual NHL head coach before tearing it all down. They might actually be decent if they have a good coach. If not... then you'll know. This team has already rebuilt the roster for RT and he just can't get anything out them.

It's like paying for a high speed internet connection and putting a router from the early 2000's on it. The bottlenecking is skewing the results. Well.. we should hope it's just that because it would be much easier if they could just upgrade the coach and get the team working a lot better.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
+ Dvorak, Schmaltz, Keller. I know Keller is y'alls new favorite whipping boy. But he has flashed elite ability, and he's still on his ELC.

I think it's a solid enough core when all the important pieces on the team fighting for a playoff spot are 24 years or younger.
I forgot Dvorak. Thank you! But yeah, Keller and Schmaltz can go f*** themselves. I might just quit.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
With the core... I'd like to see what they would be like under an actual NHL head coach before tearing it all down. They might actually be decent if they have a good coach. If not... then you'll know. This team has already rebuilt the roster for RT and he just can't get anything out them.

It's like paying for a high speed internet connection and putting a router from the early 2000's on it. The bottlenecking is skewing the results. Well.. we should hope it's just that because it would be much easier if they could just upgrade the coach and get the team working a lot better.
I believe that is the way it will play out. New coach, new set of eyes, and the owner has to hire a experienced hockey operation guy that Chayka reports to.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I forgot Dvorak. Thank you! But yeah, Keller and Schmaltz can go f*ck themselves. I might just quit.
Man, do you ever let your motions get the best of you. This core is decent, and we will add pieces to it. I think Chayka has to understand that the pressure is on him to succeed, or he's gone, and there is not a better way to do it than hire someone that will be above Chayka.

Reactions: Canis Latrans

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Man, do you ever let your motions get the best of you. This core is decent, and we will add pieces to it. I think Chayka has to understand that the pressure is on him to succeed, or he's gone, and there is not a better way to do it than hire someone that will be above Chayka.
Usually when people talk about adding to their core they already have the 1st line center, the stud D, and so on. We don't have any real "core" guys right now and most are auxiliary guys. Still hoping Chick and Hayton might be but that's far from certain. Most of the other guys mentioned are 2nd liners on great teams.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Usually when people talk about adding to their core they already have the 1st line center, the stud D, and so on. We don't have any real "core" guys right now and most are auxiliary guys. Still hoping Chick and Hayton might be but that's far from certain. Most of the other guys mentioned are 2nd liners on great teams.
It would be nice to have a #1 C, but we don't, so we have to deal with the hand we are dealt. #1C does not guarantee success, but having 3#4 C's on your team spells failure. The last I checked Edmonton, Calgary, Tampa, Colorado and, who can forget about your beloved Leafs haven't had much success in the playoffs. I agree, having a 1C would be nice, but many things factor into a winning team.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It would be nice to have a #1 C, but we don't, so we have to deal with the hand we are dealt. #1C does not guarantee success, but having 3#4 C's on your team spells failure. The last I checked Edmonton, Calgary, Tampa, Colorado and, who can forget about your beloved Leafs haven't had much success in the playoffs. I agree, having a 1C would be nice, but many things factor into a winning team.
No argument but current debate is about "core" not success. A number 1 center though pretty much factors into every single winning team.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You can go far with a good mix of three 2-3 C's without a franchise C. But they need to be Hanzals, Handzus's, MKoivu's, Bolland's etc who tilt the ice defensively while being hard to play against and can still pot 15-25 goals. Guys like Couts or Horvat before their breakouts, Zacha, Danault, Eller, Shaw, etc.

Dvo could be a part of such a mix, even though he's not particularly hard to play against. Hopefully, Jenik and Hayton. Soda, even. Stepan might have before he retired. We need actual players and not maybes and hopefullys before we're relevant.
Schmaltz's need not apply for this position.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
You can go far with a good mix of three 2-3 C's without a franchise C. But they need to be Hanzals, Handzus's, MKoivu's, Bolland's etc who tilt the ice defensively while being hard to play against and can still pot 15-25 goals. Guys like Couts or Horvat before their breakouts, Zacha, Danault, Eller, Shaw, etc.

Dvo could be a part of such a mix, even though he's not particularly hard to play against. Hopefully, Jenik and Hayton. Soda, even. Stepan might have before he retired. We need actual players and not maybes and hopefullys before we're relevant.
Schmaltz's need not apply for this position.

Agree wholeheartedly...we need fast forward on Hayton & Jenik for sure. Problem is that there isn't a fast forward button. We're stuck in middling ground until those guys mature and become Danault, Eller, Shaw and hopefully end up as Couts/Horvat. We could get lucky in the lottery, but again, we're the Coyotes so that point is mute.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No argument but current debate is about "core" not success. A number 1 center though pretty much factors into every single winning team.
The teams I mentioned all have 1C as part of their core. TO has two. Having a 1C sure makes things easier no doubt, but unless we get lucky and draft one, we will have to settle on looking for a high end 2C, and even they are hard to find and expensive. I wanted Duchene last year, but man is he having a tough time, and that salary.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The teams I mentioned all have 1C as part of their core. TO has two. Having a 1C sure makes things easier no doubt, but unless we get lucky and draft one, we will have to settle on looking for a high end 2C, and even they are hard to find and expensive. I wanted Duchene last year, but man is he having a tough time, and that salary.
The teams you mentioned have clear core players. Its then on the gm to build around them and the coach to develop a system to get the most out of them. The Coyotes don't have a core to surround or make a plan for. That was my point, it never guarantees you will win but it certainly gives you more to work with. The unfortunate part is we have a few guys collecting core piece cheques.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I disagree with most about the cap being an issue in a few seasons. We have core guys locked up to what will be extremely team-friendly deals (Keller, Schmaltz, Dvorak, and Chychrun). You may quibble with the cost now, but the level of production per point come a few years will demonstrate they are on cheap deals. Even if those players don't turn out, the cost of the contracts is such that they will be movable pieces or net neutral to the team. It's a strategy that pays out with extra cap space available in future seasons when we are to be a contender. The team is being built to ramp up into contender status and then stay as a contender for many seasons. At the same time, most of the bad contracts on the team will have phased out. We can supplement with youth and good free agents there on out.

With regards to the trade deadline, it makes sense to make a move if one's team is a true contender or a true seller. Otherwise, moves are just moves to improve your club in the long run and it's not surprising those moves don't happen then and can wait until the off-season.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The teams you mentioned have clear core players. Its then on the gm to build around them and the coach to develop a system to get the most out of them. The Coyotes don't have a core to surround or make a plan for. That was my point, it never guarantees you will win but it certainly gives you more to work with. The unfortunate part is we have a few guys collecting core piece cheques.
We have core players as well, and say different is arrogant. I believe if we change coaches we can and will do much better. We don't have a 1C,and won't have one in the near future. Hopefully DVO and Hayton can mature big time next year, and we somehow can find a high end 2C. Also, every team have problem contracts, and I don't see any of our young kids contracts a way out of whack.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Crazy that Joe Thornton wanted a trade and Doug Wilson couldn’t find any takers.

To SJS:
Jordan Oesterle

To ARI:
Joe Thornton

To FLA:
Michal Grabner

To ARI:
Mark Pysyk

To ANA
Christian Fischer
Vinny Hinostroza
Picks/Prospects