GDT: Trade Deadline 2020

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Surprised the Coyotes couldn't have matched the Florida offer:

Haula's (12-10-22) a UFA, Coyotes could've countered with their own UFA C in Soderberg (15-16-31)
Wallmark (11-12-23) is a 24 year old cost controlled C, who's an RFA after the season. Coyotes could've potentially countered with Hinostroza and Fischer.
Priskie (23) and Luostarinen (21) are AHLer's, Coyotes could counter with Capabianco and Pederson.
Apparently Florida has to cut $10M from next years payroll. Any offer we would have made would have required them taking salary w term. I don’t think the players you have highlighted would have been of interest. haula is a year removed from a 29 goal season. When healthy he’s a very good player.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It was a buyer's market apart from certain low AAV skillsets for contenders.

The TDL is as much about positioning for the summer and next year as it is arming up for the playoffs. Pretty shitty to do nothing after losing for two months.

Not getting Grant or Forbort when you need beef and your D is banged up is incredibly dumb.
We don't need those two. Demers is coming back soon.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Nothing really happened that I wish the coyotes could have gotten in on. Ritchie is interesting but I like Heinen more than the comparable we’d offer up.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Find it hilarious that the Craig article quotes Chayka saying how great our forward depth is and that we have such amazing healthy scratches. It’s a bottom ten offense in the league by GF/GP. Haha.

And he makes no mention whatsoever about great D depth or the fact that scrubs like Lyubushkin, Oesterle and Ness actually get minutes. No great healthy scratches there.

Anyway. I expected nothing and got it. I fully believe we will miss the playoffs, and Taylor Hall will leave via free agency, and we will lose him for nothing.

When we finally fire Tocchet, way, way, way too late, we won’t have anything approaching the amazing coaching options we have available to us right now.

Refusing to fire everyone and trade everyone will cost us huge on potential returns and this stubborn patience will set the organization back years.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't think Lyubushkin is a scrub, I think he's a diamond in the rough. Hinostroza is our most appetizing, tradeable piece we have and he and Coach Q want nothing to do with one another.

Let's see how this plays out. I can see this happening with a healthy roster. LFG
Bush has been very good the last number of games. It seems like the more he plays the better he gets.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

rt

May 13, 2004
Let's see how this plays out.I can see this happening with a healthy roster.
We will need at least 92 points to scratch out that last playoff spot. We've got 70pts and 17 games to go. We need to go 11-6-0 or 10-5-2. It truly just seems impossible to me. We just haven't seen that before. I'm not sure why suddenly we would. Chayka is just hoping for a miracle because he's too scared to either admit he was wrong and make up for it, or double down and go for broke. This meek ass fingers crossed bullshit is going to set us waaay back.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Find it hilarious that the Craig article quotes Chayka saying how great our forward depth is and that we have such amazing healthy scratches. It’s a bottom ten offense in the league by GF/GP. Haha.

And he makes no mention whatsoever about great D depth or the fact that scrubs like Lyubushkin, Oesterle and Ness actually get minutes. No great healthy scratches there.

Anyway. I expected nothing and got it. I fully believe we will miss the playoffs, and Taylor Hall will leave via free agency, and we will lose him for nothing.

When we finally fire Tocchet, way, way, way too late, we won’t have anything approaching the amazing coaching options we have available to us right now.

Refusing to fire everyone and trade everyone will cost us huge on potential returns and this stubborn patience will set the organization back years.
You are letting your emotions get the best of you. We all want this team to make the playoffs so bad, and the way it was looking it was going to happen this year, and most of us thought this team was more than a bubble team. Now, the way it looks, we are that bubble team that most had thought we were. Yes it's disappointing the way they choked coming out of the Christmas break, but the teams with more talent started to play playoff hockey and we could not compete. I said at the first of they year that anything less than the playoffs is a failed season, and I still think that. We have talent, but we need more, but most importantly, we need a experienced NHL coach that has had success and knows how to get more out of his players.

rt

May 13, 2004
That just looks like a pile of stuff. Nobody wants Grabner especially.
Dan Heinen pretty much sucks, too. He was scoring at a 6% better clip than Hinostroza on a stacked Boston team where he was getting more ice time than Vinny was getting here. I'd have started with Vinny for Ritchie. I'd have been willing to add Fischer if they wanted him. Or swap the two if they prefer. And I'd add picks or prospects. We desperately need Nick Ritchie. It's a HUGE need. Or team is pathetically limp-dicked. It's humiliating. They get de-manned regularly. It's a team of castratos.

Reactions: RemoAZ

rt

May 13, 2004
You are letting your emotions get the best of you. We all want this team to make the playoffs so bad, and the way it was looking it was going to happen this year, and most of us thought this team was more than a bubble team. Now, the way it looks, we are that bubble team that most had thought we were. Yes it's disappointing the way they choked coming out of the Christmas break, but the teams with more talent started to play playoff hockey and we could not compete. I said at the first of they year that anything less than the playoffs is a failed season, and I still think that. We have talent, but we need more, but most importantly, we need a experienced NHL coach that has had success and knows how to get more out of his players.
Before they traded their first round pick for Taylor Hall, I expected at least 42 wins. Then they moved their first and Kevin Bahl. That moves the expectation to playoffs. Not miss the playoffs and lose Hall for nothing. Chayka blew it. He should have fired his coach early enough to assess the impact on his roster, and gave himself enough time to make roster decisions before the deadline. He sacrificed his 1st round pick so that he wouldn't have to take decisive action on what looks to be a failing and utterly rotten leadership group. One that he's wholly responsible for bringing in here. He did not inherit Stepan, Kessel, Goligoski, Demers, etc.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Before they traded their first round pick for Taylor Hall, I expected at least 42 wins. Then they moved their first and Kevin Bahl. That moves the expectation to playoffs. Not miss the playoffs and lose Hall for nothing. Chayka blew it. He should have fired his coach early enough to assess the impact on his roster, and gave himself enough time to make roster decisions before the deadline. He sacrificed his 1st round pick so that he wouldn't have to take decisive action on what looks to be a failing and utterly rotten leadership group. One that he's wholly responsible for bringing in here. He did not inherit Stepan, Kessel, Goligoski, Demers, etc.
We haven't lost Hall, yet. Chayka is far from perfect and has not addressed our toughness or our C situation, but I think both you and I, along with many others thought that most of his trades and moves were positive. Sure it's disappointing the way this team played coming out of the Christmas break and there better be consequences for that alone.

Reactions: SniperHF

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
We haven't lost Hall, yet. Chayka is far from perfect and has not addressed our toughness or our C situation, but I think both you and I, along with many others thought that most of his trades and moves were positive. Sure it's disappointing the way this team played coming out of the Christmas break and there better be consequences for that alone.

I didn't think we were a playoff team nor have I liked most of his trades. We traded for declining vets when we should have been looking for picks or prospects with potential. Then he gave too many contracts to unproven and/or hurt guys. Then Chayka himself got an extension without doing anything. He made the deal for Hall when we weren't a Hall away from being a contender. At that point I think playoffs were a minimum but instead we get worse performance because Kuemper wasn't around to put up league leading goaltending anymore. Even if Kuemper comes back and pitches enough near shutouts to get us in, I can't see this team competing in playoff hockey. We have an inexperienced GM and HC performing like inexperienced guys with still no young star or #1 center to build around. Throw in the fact that we're now saddled with some bad contracts and have a diver as a captain and the team is looking like there's a severe lack of direction. Funny part is the GM and HC like that direction. Go figure.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Beyond the guys we could have added to help address needs, I think there's probably a psychological aspect to the deadline watching teams declare they are buyers. Granted that Chayka already bought Hall/Kessel, but it'd be a nice psychological boost to say, "hey, I know we're light in the pants, so here's Player X". Even if it's just a 4-5 D like Hainsey or a scrub like Grant or Shore.

Personally, I'd have sold, but way to send a mixed message to your already bipolar team by sitting on your hands and not addressing anything. Didn't sell. Didn't buy. On a team that needs all the help it can get in both futures and on the ice. "I know you're not very good, but I won't admit it and sell. I am also not going to get you any help. So, do your best so the Devils don't get a top ten pick."

Reactions: Lilhoody

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I was pretty disappointed initially but you know what...Chayka has shown that he will be bold and aggressive when it’s the right time and when the value is really there, so I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt here. He said in that Athletic article that they were “shopping in a different aisle” and that they “were looking at moves that probably weren’t going to get done today.” I take that to mean that he was looking at bigger fish...a real big move or two. If he laid the groundwork for a major move this offseason and can get it done then I’m ok with this deadline. But if we miss the playoffs it’s definitely going to feel really bad and probably be ugly around here for a while.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Maybe he was shopping on the aisle for hamburger buns?

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I didn't think we were a playoff team nor have I liked most of his trades. We traded for declining vets when we should have been looking for picks or prospects with potential. Then he gave too many contracts to unproven and/or hurt guys. Then Chayka himself got an extension without doing anything. He made the deal for Hall when we weren't a Hall away from being a contender. At that point I think playoffs were a minimum but instead we get worse performance because Kuemper wasn't around to put up league leading goaltending anymore. Even if Kuemper comes back and pitches enough near shutouts to get us in, I can't see this team competing in playoff hockey. We have an inexperienced GM and HC performing like inexperienced guys with still no young star or #1 center to build around. Throw in the fact that we're now saddled with some bad contracts and have a diver as a captain and the team is looking like there's a severe lack of direction. Funny part is the GM and HC like that direction. Go figure.
I thought we were a bubble team that had to make the playoffs. This team tricked Chayka into thinking they were better than they were and that is why he made the Hall trade. I know you, I and a few others stated all along that this team relied may too much on goal tending and that was making the team look much better than they were. Chayka had two years to add toughness, which should not have been hard, but he didn't do it. Finding a C is another position we are weak at, but they are almost impossible to find unless drafted, and as far as contracts go, I'm fine with the DVO, Chick,Schmaltz and Keller deals. For me Chayka is a mixed bag, as he has done some good, some bad, but I think the biggest problem is behind the bench.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Beyond the guys we could have added to help address needs, I think there's probably a psychological aspect to the deadline watching teams declare they are buyers. Granted that Chayka already bought Hall/Kessel, but it'd be a nice psychological boost to say, "hey, I know we're light in the pants, so here's Player X". Even if it's just a 4-5 D like Hainsey or a scrub like Grant or Shore.

Personally, I'd have sold, but way to send a mixed message to your already bipolar team by sitting on your hands and not addressing anything. Didn't sell. Didn't buy. On a team that needs all the help it can get in both futures and on the ice. "I know you're not very good, but I won't admit it and sell. I am also not going to get you any help. So, do your best so the Devils don't get a top ten pick."
Where did you have this team finishing this year at the start of the season?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I was pretty disappointed initially but you know what...Chayka has shown that he will be bold and aggressive when it’s the right time and when the value is really there, so I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt here. He said in that Athletic article that they were “shopping in a different aisle” and that they “were looking at moves that probably weren’t going to get done today.” I take that to mean that he was looking at bigger fish...a real big move or two. If he laid the groundwork for a major move this offseason and can get it done then I’m ok with this deadline. But if we miss the playoffs it’s definitely going to feel really bad and probably be ugly around here for a while.
If there was not deal to be had, so be it. Chayka did his TTD deal earlier with the Hall deal. We are kind of in a holding pattern with this team at the moment. I would also wait until the off season to try and improve this team, rather than over paying now.

CoyoteDave

Dec 12, 2016
Cave Creek
Chayka made his bed 2 weeks ago when he didn't fire Tocchet. Better coaches were available and there was still time to make the change for the final push. I am going to give the man some credit and say he knows that what he has put together is not good enough but is willing to put his job on the line to see if they can turn it around. Still not watching or spending money until Tocchet is gone.

Reactions: _Del_

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad