GDT: Trade Deadline 2020

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Well, I want to be more mad than I actually am. Chayka isn't the type to make knee-jerk moves and I'm cool with that.

I would have loved a physical presence up front and some depth on the back end but I'm not sure one body makes that much of a difference anyway.

Our team's identity has been established: Fast paced with some high end skill that drops quickly past the 2nd line. A team that can kill you with speed but is easily pushed around. A team that has 2 starting goalies that can take you far who have issues staying healthy. A team with accomplished veterans that seemingly have issues motivating themselves and others. A team that if healthy, can do some serious damage but go mentally weak when someone goes down.

I can't blame Chayka for what he's done so far this calendar year, and for wanting to see his team that he built finally in-tact for the final stretch with Kuemper, Chychrun, and Demers all scheduled back this week. I like that Chayka is aggressive and has completely turned the roster that he inherited inside out.

That being said, if the playoffs are missed, and Taylor Hall wants nothing to do with this team even after giving up first round pick for him, I hope the necessary actions are taken. This needs to be the do-or-die moment for this front office. If we are the odd team out once again, RT and his assistants need to be gone immediately and Chayka needs to be on the hot seat.

I understand injuries happen but they happen every year to every team. These next 18 games or so should decide their fate.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
We couldn't afford a 3rd rounder for Eric Gustaffson.... so disappointed
Don't have a 2020 3rd rounder and Gustaffson's defensive liabilities probably factored into the decision.

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Shocked Grabner is still on the team.
Grabner probalby gets moved if he was a UFA, not sure anyone wants to pay $3.35M for a 32 year old 14th forward for a full seaon +.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Well, I want to be more mad than I actually am. Chayka isn't the type to make knee-jerk moves and I'm cool with that.

I would have loved a physical presence up front and some depth on the back end but I'm not sure one body makes that much of a difference anyway.

Our team's identity has been established: Fast paced with some high end skill that drops quickly past the 2nd line. A team that can kill you with speed but is easily pushed around. A team that has 2 starting goalies that can take you far who have issues staying healthy. A team with accomplished veterans that seemingly have issues motivating themselves and others. A team that if healthy, can do some serious damage but go mentally weak when someone goes down.

I can't blame Chayka for what he's done so far this calendar year, and for wanting to see his team that he built finally in-tact for the final stretch with Kuemper, Chychrun, and Demers all scheduled back this week. I like that Chayka is aggressive and has completely turned the roster that he inherited inside out.

That being said, if the playoffs are missed, and Taylor Hall wants nothing to do with this team even after giving up first round pick for him, I hope the necessary actions are taken. This needs to be the do-or-die moment for this front office. If we are the odd team out once again, RT and his assistants need to be gone immediately and Chayka needs to be on the hot seat.

I understand injuries happen but they happen every year to every team. These next 18 games or so should decide their fate.

Yep - if we miss, I think that this should be deemed a failure on coaching far before it gets pegged on Chayka. It sounds like Tocchet and Chayka may have some similarities on how to shape a team's roster, but we can look at some of the heavier teams and how we performed against them:

Vegas: 1-1-1 so far
St. Louis: 2-1-0 so far
Islanders: 1-1-0

I don't think that not having a heavyweight hurt us on the record side of things, but maybe fewer liberties are taken against our top players. I don't think that there is terrible roster construction, but there was something significant missing from this team...

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Was this me paying more attention than usual, or was this a hot TDL?

Except for Arizona.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
About normal.

Interesting to hear Sportsnet’s Craig Johnson day that Florida has to cut $10M from payroll for next year. Takes them out of Hall sweepstakes. also explains the Trochek move.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I think doing nothing was the right thing. We miss or get knocked out in the first, regardless. We need 2 or 3 heavy players mixed between defense and offense to compete with the big boys. That wasn’t going to happen via this trade deadline.

Go with what we have and see what they can do.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
About normal.

Interesting to hear Sportsnet’s Craig Johnson day that Florida has to cut $10M from payroll for next year. Takes them out of Hall sweepstakes. also explains the Trochek move.

Ugh for Florida on that Bob-signing. Cap going up much?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
About normal.

Wonder where they could have saved that $10 milion that was not well spent in the not so long ago past??

Reactions: Jakey53

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
About normal.

We were real interested in Trochek according to a source from Craig Morgan.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Seem to be the Bridesmaid a lot for the last couple years. I don't buy it.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Seem to be the Bridesmaid a lot for the last couple years. I don't buy it.

Chayka’s made it clear he’s not going to jump into trade deadline bidding wars and end up overpaying heavily for players.

Just scanned the article and other than Trochek, it doesn’t look like there was anyone out there he felt would be an improvement worth giving up what he already has.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Chayka’s made it clear he’s not going to jump into trade deadline bidding wars and end up overpaying heavily for players.

Just scanned the article and other than Trochek, it doesn’t look like there was anyone out there he felt would be an improvement worth giving up what he already has.
I'm talking about Morgan having the Coyote's in on every big move for the last couple seasons. I don't blame Chayka if a deal doesn't fit but stop with the fluff that the Coyote's are frontrunners almost every tim .

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Grabner probalby gets moved if he was a UFA, not sure anyone wants to pay $3.35M for a 32 year old 14th forward for a full seaon +.

I have perhaps missed the story on Grabner. I expected him to be moved. I know he has not played well this year, but I would have thought they would have played him with the free fall happening if he was not going to be moved. He hasn't played in like a month. Anyone with insight?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I have perhaps missed the story on Grabner. I expected him to be moved. I know he has not played well this year, but I would have thought they would have played him with the free fall happening if he was not going to be moved. He hasn't played in like a month. Anyone with insight?
Yeah he’s not the same player since he took a stick in the eye.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
About normal.

Surprised the Coyotes couldn't have matched the Florida offer:

Haula's (12-10-22) a UFA, Coyotes could've countered with their own UFA C in Soderberg (15-16-31)
Wallmark (11-12-23) is a 24 year old cost controlled C, who's an RFA after the season. Coyotes could've potentially countered with Hinostroza and Fischer.
Priskie (23) and Luostarinen (21) are AHLer's, Coyotes could counter with Capabianco and Pederson.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It was a buyer's market apart from certain low AAV skillsets for contenders.

The TDL is as much about positioning for the summer and next year as it is arming up for the playoffs. Pretty shitty to do nothing after losing for two months.

Not getting Grant or Forbort when you need beef and your D is banged up is incredibly dumb.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->