Trade Deadline - 02.25.2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Yup. Exactly like that.

They aren’t going to move any high picks or top prospects for anyone who actually moves the needle. But are desperate to make the playoffs.

So we’ll bleed some assets for some kinda bad veteran players who’ve been around for 500 games and then, as you say, miss the playoffs anyway.
What makes you think they are desperate to make the playoffs?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
The dumbest thing about that trade deadline was that the team was actually playing pretty well heading into it and had been on a 14-8 run since early January despite injury troubles on the blueline. A rookie Kevin Bieksa was showing really well and Steve McCarthy was playing the best hockey of his life.

So Nonis decide to trade McCarthy, send Bieksa to the pressbox (the few games he played late that season were on wing) and acquire old crap players who were worse than what we had.

A pile of draft picks down the drain and the new guys put up a 46 0-1-1 -21 statline as the team plummeted out of a playoff position.

Pure Jim Benning from Dave Nonis.

And thats a decent blueprint for what I'm expecting here. Hutton and Stecher are playing a ton of minutes and doing well, so trade for whatever the equivalent is of Carney and Weinrich so that they can take over those minutes while playing worse. Also would not be surprised to burn a pick on a backup goalie who will play one game, ala Mika Noronen.

Wouldn't even be shocked if they trade Hutton.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Uhhhh ...

Literally everything these guys have said and done for the last 5 years?
I think they want to make it next year but would prefer a good pick this year. Look at the D and Bennings comments all season. There is no chance we make it and surely they see this

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
What makes you think they are desperate to make the playoffs?
Interesting enough, the Canucks have had only two periods where they’ve missed the playoffs for four seasons (NEVER five seasons). First time it happened was their first four seasons in the NHL. They went thru two GMs before #3 managed them to not only their first .500 season (back when it meant something) but the playoffs. The second time was for the 96/97, 97/98, 98/99, and 99/00 seasons. Two GMs during this period (Quinn and Burke).

I’d venture to guess if the team misses the postseason next season, he’s gone (if we don’t make it this year)

Reactions: DonnyNucker

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Interesting enough, the Canucks have had only two periods where they’ve missed the playoffs for four seasons (NEVER five seasons). First time it happened was their first four seasons in the NHL. They went thru two GMs before #3 managed them to not only their first .500 season (back when it meant something) but the playoffs. The second time was for the 96/97, 97/98, 98/99, and 99/00 seasons. Two GMs during this period (Quinn and Burke).

I’d venture to guess if the team misses the postseason next season, he’s gone (if we don’t make it this year)

even if we make it this year and put up more points next year and miss, I'd bet he is out

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
And thats a decent blueprint for what I'm expecting here. Hutton and Stecher are playing a ton of minutes and doing well, so trade for whatever the equivalent is of Carney and Weinrich so that they can take over those minutes while playing worse. Also would not be surprised to burn a pick on a backup goalie who will play one game, ala Mika Noronen.

Wouldn't even be shocked if they trade Hutton.

I’m looking more up front where Adam Gaudette has looked really dangerous in small minutes with crap linemates and is probably ready to take off if you put him with good players, and Brendan Gaunce is better than like 4 forwards on our roster. Gaudette is IMO 2006 Kevin Bieksa.

But instead we’ll trade a 2020 2nd or 3rd for some slow broken down player like Johansson or Troy Brouwer ... and they’ll predictably suck.

I don’t think they’ll trade Hutton but I’ve underestimated their stupidity in the past.

The only caveat here is if they’ve actually finally tired of Gudbranson and move him for anything. Dumping that anchor and replacing him with literally anything probably gets us into the playoffs.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I'd die.

they traded multiple 2nds
a 3rd
a 4th

just look at the catapulting of picks during that period.

History of NHL trades by the Vancouver Canucks - NHL Trade Tracker
yes that was the worst deadline of my Canuck fandom. 2 2nds 38 and 46 77 and 107 for pure garbage....Noronen Weinrich Brown were laughable.

Some of the players between those numbers drafted.

Milan Lucic
Brad Marchand
Jeff Petry
Artem Anisimov

Think they learned their lessen.....NO 2007 56 61 and 101 for washed up Sopel and Smolinski........Simmonds Dadonov Killorn Martinez Bortuzzo....frig Simmonds was the actual pick.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
All 3 of those guys were players you loved and coveted and defended and now you want them traded for picks. Lol.

And now you want to trade Stecher to sell high on him because “we can’t have to many small defensemen”. Never mind the fact that him and Hutton are the only 2 decent healthy dmen left.

Maybe one day you’ll see the forest for the trees
Can’t agree more
Troy Stecher averages almost 30 mins a night on the recent 3 games road rip and look very good.

Sure let’s trade him because of his f***ing height

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
If they trade Hutton, I’ll just sit back and laugh. Won’t even be upset.

Imagine having one of the worst dcore’s in the league and then trading a 25 year old who’s actually been a bright spot on your blue line

Reactions: bossram

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

My thought before the season was that the team would be well out of it by now and he'd be gone. Of course, I didn't anticipate the entire conference being so bad that an 81 point pace still has them in the race.

I don't really know what to think anymore. Aquilini seems like the kind of moron who will surround himself with whoever agrees with him. This is the most dangerous situation, and would mean Benning will essentially be around for as long as he's willing to kiss ass.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
I actually think there’s no pressure for JB to make the playoff this season, Elias essentially bought him another season

I don't think this year matters either. I'm just making the point that if this team makes it on this lower point playoff bar but miss next year(even with a point improvement) we will see a change.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Literally only one poster brought up that idea
Chill

I don't care how many posters bring it up lol, just mentioning that it would be a stupid move. Benning has never seemed too high on Hutton and may not want to pay him what it'll cost to bring him back.

I'll try to calm down for you though.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

I could see the Canucks missing next season too. The Benning era will be the worst era in Canucks history.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I don't care how many posters bring it up lol, just mentioning that it would be a stupid move. Benning has never seemed too high on Hutton and may not want to pay him what it'll cost to bring him back.

I'll try to calm down for you though.

To be clear, I don't think they will, I'm just saying it wouldn't shock me if they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->