GDT: Trade Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
So if we're to believe LeBrun & Friedman & Tallon himself...

Bergevin asked for a package that involved Vince Trochek + Nick Bjugstad + Henrik Borgstrom + picks for Max Pacioretty?

Yeah...sure.

I know when i'm being played.

Bergevin might be an idiot...but I'm not.

From what Lebrun said Florida offered draft picks and prospects for Pacioretty. Bergevin wanted an NHL player. Realistically probably Borgstrom, 1st round pick and other prospects. Bergevin wanted Bjugstad Borgstrom and first.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
If true, probably is, this is what I was afraid of him doing.

On Coyle, he is sometimes a winger, sometimes a centre. However, he had 21 goals a couple of years ago and 56 points last year. A one for one would have been fair value in my view as Coyle has pretty much established himself, but not at centre. Really dont see a plus being warranted.
Glad you aren't trading on behalf of habs. At least one this is sure, Bergevin may not be good but some of you guys on here undervalue habs players so much.

Really coyle scored 21 goals that one time and that one time he had 50 something points. Right so Habs should trade a perennial 30 goal scorer for that. Very fair...

Reactions: get25 and 417

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
So if we're to believe LeBrun & Friedman & Tallon himself...

Bergevin asked for a package that involved Vince Trochek + Nick Bjugstad + Henrik Borgstrom + picks
for Max Pacioretty?

Yeah...sure.

I know when i'm being played.

Bergevin might be an idiot...but I'm not.

Pretty clear he didn't mean altogether. Could just be a different package revolving around Borgstrom.

Reactions: 417 and Doc McKenna

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Who is Bradley?

Matt Bradley was a 5th round pick from 2015, playing as an overager on the Regina Pats, second in scoring behind Sam Steel. But I couldn't find him anywhere on the contract list. So he must not have been tendered or accepted an offer.

Canadiens have 43 contracts on the books as it stands, with likely only Evans, Bitten, and Fleury turning pro next year. Don't know about Vedejmo. And players like Hemsky, Niemi, and probably Eisenschmid, maybe Logan Shaw or Parisi coming off the books. So there is room to add prospects.

Problem is lots of tweeneers.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Pretty clear he didn't mean altogether. Could just be a different package revolving around Borgstrom.
oh it's clear to me that a lot of the names mentioned were thrown around and not necessarily part of a large ask...not sure it's clear for everyone though.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
If he approached Bergevin to tell him he was essentially unhappy in Montreal, I don't see him as a Hab come the fall.
Depends on what we draft. Gets a good centre and MB offers up a monster contract...well "anything is possible"
Problem is if everyone knows Max has to get out of dodge, esp if the media starts to slag him even worse, what does that do to his trade value. He really needed to go at the TDL. Why would a team overpay knowing you have him for now just a single playoff run, a big contract expected to follow, knows he will HAVE to be moved. I know I would offer less. Then you have to factor how stubborn MB is. And if you are the other team, does a rental like player still warrant roster, prospect and a 1st??? No chance.

His value is 2 playoff runs on the cheap. Only good thing is we have no chance of him having another horrible playoff run with us to drop his value.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Glad you aren't trading on behalf of habs. At least one this is sure, Bergevin may not be good but some of you guys on here undervalue habs players so much.

Really coyle scored 21 goals that one time and that one time he had 50 something points. Right so Habs should trade a perennial 30 goal scorer for that. Very fair...

If he is a centre you better believe it. Havent checked contract though.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I am starting to believe that Pacioretty isn't necessarily the best piece to sell at the draft. He may be headed to UFA, but I think teams would only bid high on him if they thought they could re-sign him.

And most of those teams are in the Conference, so you lose twice if you make the sacrifice, by making an opposing team better.

I would not be adverse to taking the C off him, as was done for Thornton, and putting it on Gallagher. He seems to like talking to the media. And media relations is a big part of leading the Canadiens, as we all know.

But I see Galchenyuk as potentially a more valuable asset.

I look at the Hawks struggles this year without Panarin. They have an active GM, who just acquired a first for one of his young players. You think they would have interest in acquiring Galchenyuk? He might take off playing the wing with Patrick Kane. Wisconsin raised, so closer to home.

Want to build through the draft? I'd love to have the Hawks 1st pick, the one that slots 9-12. I think that would give management the opportunity to draft both the top LHD and centre missing in the organization. Get Duclair thrown in, maybe send Reilly (from Illinois) back, or Valiev back.

If the Habs push for Stastny as they should, they have a power line in Pacioretty-Stastny-Gallagher that can match up well. Subtract Pacioretty for Galchenyuk, and frankly that line is not as good, as Galchenyuk is behind Patches in speed, shot and defensive abilities.

Anthony Duclair has midget chemistry with Drouin, a friendship that may produce better chemistry on the ice, than has been seen between Drouin-Galchenyuk. And with Sherbak seeming like a riser, gives him a chance to play up the lineup too, which is what you ideally want your younger players to do, not pigeon hole them with plugs.

Just a thought on following the Blackhawks principle on selling high on players.

Honestly I don't see Pacioretty drastically decreasing in value. But if Galchenyuk falls out of favour with his coaches, he could lose a lot of value. In trading from weakness.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia

This needs clarifying. The year he got 21 goals and the year he got 56 points were two separate years. He is 25 years of age and has already played 400 games with just over 200 pts. He has a cap hit of 3.2 million for 2 more years.
True that he is not a star player but he is much better than most people give him credit for.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
This needs clarifying. The year he got 21 goals and the year he got 56 points were two separate years. He is 25 years of age and has already played 400 games with just over 200 pts. He has a cap hit of 3.2 million for 2 more years.
True that he is not a star player but he is much better than most people give him credit for.

You have to wonder though if Minnesota who already has Zucker and Parise at LW, would bid high on one year of Patches (don't see how they re-sign him) for a key piece of the Brent Burns trade.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
You cant extend Patches until July 1, but I believe you can work out a contract before then. When is that allowed .

Just thinking that if there is a team Patches likes that we could allow him and the team to working out an extension so we can get better value. Just not sure if that window opens up before the draft.

Hope we can revisit things with Florida and pick off Borgstrom.

Reactions: blarneylad

Bieber fever

Mar 7, 2010
Westmount
Can teams still trade player after the dead line as long as the player dont play in the playoff ? Maybe MB can take a ufa from a budget team (ottawa/arizona ) out of the playoff for a pick ?

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
This summer ironically I think it all depends on John Tavares.

We will open the bank for Tavares. $12 million. If he does sign, expect the Galchenyuk + + for Ryan O’Reilly or older players age 25-28. With Tavares Pacioretty Price Weber O’Reilly Drouin we will go all in and compete.

If Tavares sign somewhere else, then I expect Pacioretty to be traded and start rebuilding. Maybe Weber will go too. Price is really untradable with that contract.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lebrun said a trade involving Pacioretty will more likely happen than not as per TSN.

Jeez LeBrun, could he come up with something even more obvious? LeBrun, we don't even need to be an insider to come up with that. Stick to keeping tabs on GMs who use cell phones, LeBrun.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I believe this is the case (trades after the TDL).

Yes, it is. Teams can keep trading right now with the understanding that any acquired player cannot be used in the playoffs. And since there are a lot of teams not making the playoffs and who don't care about this, they could be discussing. But, it never happens when you look at prior seasons.

Reactions: groovejuice

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Yes, it is. Teams can keep trading right now with the understanding that any acquired player cannot be used in the playoffs. And since there are a lot of teams not making the playoffs and who don't care about this, they could be discussing. But, it never happens when you look at prior seasons.

Yeah, no major trades happen since your pool is only 15 teams. I do recall some deals last year, but it was all minor league stuff.

Reactions: Runner77

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
You cant extend Patches until July 1, but I believe you can work out a contract before then. When is that allowed .

Just thinking that if there is a team Patches likes that we could allow him and the team to working out an extension so we can get better value. Just not sure if that window opens up before the draft.

Hope we can revisit things with Florida and pick off Borgstrom.

I have to say I am really not ready for this Florida dynasty. Lightning are great, if Florida gets there too I will be a sad panda. The team should be in Quebec where the fans are.

I remember 1996 very well. Nordiques were up and coming. Moved abruptly to Colorado, who acquires Patrick Roy in their first year. Claude Lemieux too.

Watched with great sadness as Detroit eliminated Winnipeg, put our city into 25 years of hockey exile. Colorado-Florida Stanley Cup. John Vanbiebrouck and the rat pack. One of the worst years in hockey.

I am not ready to make the Panthers better, for the future.

Hostie, take a look at the Conference.

Buffalo sucks. Ottawa, I feel bad for them, if Bryan Murray was still alive, they'd have Turris, and a team in contention. Detroit has a defense that is the envy of any tank.

Rangers aren't going to be good next year. Isles have so many holes. And will be a black hole when Tavares leaves. Barzal will be like Mc David this year. Carolina is Carolina, they are not a winner.

So you need to be better than Columbus and Florida. Washington is sooner or later going into the crapper, maybe sooner. Boston? I f*****g hate Boston. They keep hurting us. Maybe Shae Weber shoots a couple of slapshots at Bergeron's foot.

I'm talking about playoffs.

Making Florida better, for Bjustad hurts. Maybe Borgstrom, maybe, but it still hurts.

I'm not ready for the rat pack. Montreal is a place for hockey playoffs. I get chills down my spine, when I watch the old timers come out carrying the torch. All that history. I can't think about being worse than both Florida teams two years in a row. It is blasphemous to hockey.

Last edited:

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I have to say I am really not ready for this Florida dynasty. Lightning are great, if Florida gets there too I will be a sad panda. The team should be in Quebec where the fans are.

I remember 1996 very well. Nordiques were up and coming. Moved abruptly to Colorado, who acquires Patrick Roy in their first year.

Watched with great sadness as Detroit eliminated Winnipeg, put our city into 25 years of hockey exile. Colorado-Florida Stanley Cup. John Vanbiebrouck and the rat pack. One of the worst years in hockey.

I am not ready to make the Panthers better, for the future.

Hostie, take a look at the Conference.

Buffalo sucks. Ottawa, I feel bad for them, if Bryan Murray was still alive, they'd have Turris, and a team in contention. Detroit has a defense that is the envy of any tank.

Rangers aren't going to be good next year. Isles have so many holes. And will be a black hole. Carolina is Carolina, they are not a winner.

So you need to be better than Columbus and Florida. Washington is sooner or later going into the crapper, maybe sooner. Boston? I f*****g hate Boston. They keep hurting us. Maybe Shae Weber shoots a couple of slapshots at Bergeron's foot.

I'm talking about playoffs.

Making Florida better, for Bjustad hurts. Maybe Borgstrom, maybe, but it still hurts.

I'm not ready for the rat pack. Montreal is a place for hockey playoffs. I get chills down my spine, when I watch the old timers come out carrying the torch. All that history. I can't think about being worse than both Florida teams two years in a row. It is blasphemous to hockey.

Pittsburgh
Nashville
Winnipeg
Tampa Bay
Toronto
Boston
Vegas?
Are all teams that are years ahead of us talent and skill wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad