Trade Day - All trade info here

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It immediately reminded me of when we dumped our top 2 prospects Safronov and Zainullin for Darcy Hordichuk.

Well, would you trade Vrbata for Forsberg? Similar situation. It's so tempting, given his performance. He has been great against his peers. And everyone keeps pointing out he plays "tier 2" but that's not really his fault. He came through Leksand's system and they were relegated. They won't be next year.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Well, would you trade Vrbata for Forsberg? Similar situation. It's so tempting, given his performance. He has been great against his peers. And everyone keeps pointing out he plays "tier 2" but that's not really his fault. He came through Leksand's system and they were relegated. They won't be next year.

Nope not his fault. We went through same issue with OEL. That being said how's his play been. His stat line for an offensive player is mediocre. If his development has stalled or taken a step back he starts to be a 3rd/2nd liner instead of a 1st/2nd liner. If he projects now as a 50-60 point player instead of a 70-80 point player his value would drop significantly. It's interesting that's for sure. A prospect worth following to see if he gets back on track.

As for your question. I would likely have made that move for Vrbata.

Feb 12, 2003
I'm happy with our trade deadline because it was basically what I thought it would be. I thought there might be an outside chance that guys like Smith and Gordon would get dealt but they might be able to re-sign Gordon and Smith was still on the IR. Likewise I thought there was a small chance we might see Morris or Klesla traded, but I'm happy they were not moved at this point.

Frankly, like I said in advance of the deadline I think the Coyotes fair better right now after the sell offs of Calgary and Dallas, which is not a good thing. I think they're likely to finish on the bubble and end up with a mid-round pick instead of tanking for a lower pick.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I'm just happy we didn't trade Yandle. I'd prefer we build with a core of Yandle, OEL, Stone and Gormley on D and hope we get an owner to be able to add the tope line forwards we need. We're not going to build a championship caliber team being in limbo anyway. Might as well keep the top youngsters we have until we have a legitimate shot.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
McMillon for Lombardi is the only one that puzzles me. McMillon as far as I can tell from his playing experience appears to be a NHL with 15 pt potential.

Lombardi was on pace for a 40pt season, so the only thing I can think of in this instance is that we were trying to save cash and Anaheim said you can pick between this bag of pucks and McMillon.

Btw, the bag of pucks is more than Sullivan was worth and we got a 7th rounder for him, so I'm really happy about that.

Lombardi just wasn't a long-term solution. He probably didn't fit into the plans for next season and beyond.

rt

May 13, 2004
His stat line for an offensive player is mediocre.

Yeesh. Tough crowd. He's nineteen years old and put up nearly a point a game in a men's league. Nobody on his very deep team (the best in the league) had a points per game percentage at all significantly higher. He was right there with the top scorers on his team, in that regard. His 0.87 is right up there with the average per game clip of the league's top ten scorers (.96, 1.04, 1.00, .92, .94, .87, .88, .85, .86, .83). As you can tell by the modest pace of the top scorers, it's a tough league. Mickey Mouse league's have ten goal games and guys putting up 2.5ppg. That's not the Allsvenskan.

Hell, Anze Frickin' Kopitar only put up 34 points in 31 games THIS SEASON during the lockout. In 38 games, Forsberg had 33 points. Not a huge difference, right?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hell, Anze Frickin' Kopitar only put up 34 points in 31 games THIS SEASON during the lockout. In 38 games, Forsberg had 33 points. Not a huge difference, right?

Even if you entertain the idea that the two are comparable, that still is roughly a 20 point difference over an 82 game season. Paajarvi had a better pedigree than Forsberg and look how he has struggled.

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
Please don't put Chris Brown on the 4th line just cause he fights. He needs to develop into a power forward and not a 4th line fighter like Kyle Clifford was handled. Throw a guy with no future here like Klinkhammer there and move Brown to the top 9.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Please don't put Chris Brown on the 4th line just cause he fights. He needs to develop into a power forward and not a 4th line fighter like Kyle Clifford was handled. Throw a guy with no future here like Klinkhammer there and move Brown to the top 9.
Hopeful Brown could turn into a 2nd line wing.

As for Klink, how can you say he has no future? Only 26, if he continues to play as he has, he'll be a 3rd line winger for years to come.

mitch27

Sep 6, 2009
Windsor, Ontario

I would like to see Brown with Vrbata and Hanzal. Can you imagine the amount of space Vrbata will have with those two guys on his line?

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
Hopeful Brown could turn into a 2nd line wing.

As for Klink, how can you say he has no future? Only 26, if he continues to play as he has, he'll be a 3rd line winger for years to come.

That's the thing, whether or not he will keep it up. Far too many times I have seen AHL players come up and immediately put points. But then once they settle in after thirty or so games, they show why they were considered as a career AHLer (Bolduc/Johnson). If Klinkhammer continues his play for the season, he may be that exception.

However, I have more faith in Brown and would like to focus on his development. We desperately need a player like him in the top six. If he is just going to get 4th line minutes, then he should just stay in Portland for the rest of the season.

rt

May 13, 2004
Brown needs to immediately stop fighting or he will have no future in hockey. He's the worst fighter I've ever seen. Leads with his head. He's going to get killed. The Coyotes really need to protect this asset and either get somebody to teach him how to fight, or order him to stop immediately.

OOEEL

Apr 9, 2012
Arizona
I know we've discussed the Read/Coots/1st/2nd deal, but I was on the trade board and the latest rumor was that Toronto were after Yandle as well.

Apparently Keith would have fetched Kadri, Frattin, and Toronto's 1st, if this rumor is to be believed.

Thoughts?

rt

May 13, 2004
Even if you entertain the idea that the two are comparable, that still is roughly a 20 point difference over an 82 game season. Paajarvi had a better pedigree than Forsberg and look how he has struggled.

Why would I try to pawn them off as comparable? That's not my point at all. My point was saying Forsberg had a mediocre season is untrue. He's nineteen and accomplished a lot this season.

Magnus Pääjärvi did absolutely have a fantastic draft year and subsequent year in the SEL. I also expected him to be a great player. He may still, but it's looking less likely. What does that have to do with Forsberg? Jamie Lundmark had basically the most amazing stats you could hope for in the WHL in the year prior and the year of his draft. Because he's a bust, does that mean that Edmonton shouldn't have bothered with RNH or that Shinkaruk probably doesn't have much to offer?

rt

May 13, 2004
I know we've discussed the Read/Coots/1st/2nd deal, but I was on the trade board and the latest rumor was that Toronto were after Yandle as well.

Apparently Keith would have fetched Kadri, Frattin, and Toronto's 1st, if this rumor is to be believed.

Thoughts?

I think there are good trades that could be made with either team. Toronto is appealing because they've got Reimer. Kadri would be great and Maloney loves his Kitchener Rangers. Frattin is also appealing and so is the first, obviously. They've also got JvR who could make some sense in a Yandle trade.

Why would Toronto want Yandle, though? They've already got John Michael Liles and Dion Phaneuf on the left side. Do they really need another LH OFD making north of four million bucks?

Philly obviously has a ton of great options as far as forwards go. There are a bunch of good packages they could potentially put together. They also clearly have a need. Could potentially get good value out of them.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
It sounds like Maloney did well in stirring up some interest. I expect that interest to still be there at the draft. By then the reality of an ultra thin free agent market will be on the minds of all gm's and some might be willing to pull the trigger on a lopsided trade. We might also have a clearer idea of our needs by then. Imagine that we traded Yandle for Couturier and then had the opportunity to draft Monahan. That would be nice and all but just three months after the trade we might be wondering if we could have addressed a different need instead.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
We might also have a clearer idea of our needs by then. Imagine that we traded Yandle for Couturier and then had the opportunity to draft Monahan. That would be nice and all but just three months after the trade we might be wondering if we could have addressed a different need instead.

The thing is, we *do* have a clear idea of our needs: Top 6 scoring talent, specifically a legit 1C center. Granted, our goaltending situation is kinda in limbo with Smitty, Babs, and Johnson UFAs, but even if we lose Smitty, I'm sure GMDM can find another diamond-in-the-rough bargain w/o giving up anything of value. Blue line is in great shape.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
The thing is, we *do* have a clear idea of our needs: Top 6 scoring talent, specifically a legit 1C center. Granted, our goaltending situation is kinda in limbo with Smitty, Babs, and Johnson UFAs, but even if we lose Smitty, I'm sure GMDM can find another diamond-in-the-rough bargain w/o giving up anything of value. Blue line is in great shape.

If we somehow draft a #1C then that is no longer our top need. We could then target a top six winger via trade.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010

Thoughts?

Kadri and a 1st? Toronto fans on HF would've blown up if they traded "The Dream". That would've been something.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
That Toronto package is a problem. Kadri is an RFA and I'm not sure the money is there to sign a PPG guy. Couturier is 2 years younger, and has another ELC year. The pick would probably be better, even top 15 if they missed the playoffs, so another free (albeit remote) shot at the lottery. Read also has another cheap year at 900k.

I could still see the Flyers trade happening. If Couturier doesn't break out, and the Flyers somehow make the playoffs, the deal gets better for them.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yeesh. Tough crowd. He's nineteen years old and put up nearly a point a game in a men's league. Nobody on his very deep team (the best in the league) had a points per game percentage at all significantly higher. He was right there with the top scorers on his team, in that regard. His 0.87 is right up there with the average per game clip of the league's top ten scorers (.96, 1.04, 1.00, .92, .94, .87, .88, .85, .86, .83). As you can tell by the modest pace of the top scorers, it's a tough league. Mickey Mouse league's have ten goal games and guys putting up 2.5ppg. That's not the Allsvenskan.

If the rumors that the Caps were dangling both Kuznetsov and Forsberg are true then I suspect that this Forsberg deal is the mark of a GM who is desperate to save his job and not a statement of the lack of development of a top prospect.

I suspect this was offered to Maloney as a package for Yandle. I do think Kuznetsov's passport likely scared us off. We would have wanted a significant roster player included.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad