Trade - CAP for NON-GUARANTEED CONTRACTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Sinister

Feb 2, 2003
Visit site
Those are the concessions that each side should make,
reasoning being, if a player is one year a 5 million dollar star forward and then after 1 year a 40pt 3rd liner, IE Pierre turgeon, then the team should be able to cut this guy loose.
How do the New York Islanders give Alexei Yashin an 11 year contract, thats the problem with this CBA. The Islanders already want to cut that contract.

Thats the Answer, No more Guaranteed contracts, and no cap.

now lets spread the word, and get some games going.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
If the players aren't going to agree to a cap, why would they agree to contracts that aren't guaranteed?

Their only goal in life seems to be making more money, not less.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
What they should do is run a vote for a new NHLPA representative, I'm sure that all the players under 25 who are part of the NHLPA would be more in favor of non-guaranteed contracts than the 35+ year olds, but these last ones are the ones with the most power. This is a union and it should represent all of the union's members, yet it doesn't. Where's democracy for the younger/lower payed players.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
"Non-guaranteed contracts"

Can it even be called a contract if it's not guaranteed? The idea seems ridiculous to me. Could you imagine if you were under contract for work, and your employer just walked away from it?

I thought this was what bonuses were for. You set goals for the player, if they achieve, they get money. If they don't, they don't. Shouldn't bonuses work well enough?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
hockeytown9321 said:
Which is why they've offered a $75 million paycut as a starting point.
Yeah, 5%. Wow. That's a one-time deal that only applies to current contracts. So it's pretty much worthless, and one of the weakest "concessions" in that whole proposal/joke.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
littleHossa said:
What they should do is run a vote for a new NHLPA representative, I'm sure that all the players under 25 who are part of the NHLPA would be more in favor of non-guaranteed contracts than the 35+ year olds, but these last ones are the ones with the most power. This is a union and it should represent all of the union's members, yet it doesn't. Where's democracy for the younger/lower payed players.

LMAO !!

Players under 25 would accept NON-GUARANTEED contract ? No way, you just tell them that from now on, you won't be sure to get a paycheck.

Stop thinking as a fan & start thinking as a player.

You got a better chance that 35 years old player would accept a non-guaranteed contract because they would just want to play this season since there's no much gas (seasons) left in the tank (player).

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Russian Fan said:
You got a better chance that 35 years old player would accept a non-guaranteed contract because they would just want to play this season since there's no much gas (seasons) left in the tank (player).

Why? The 35-year old has much more to gain from guaranteed contracts. His career is going downhill and his contract is based on past performances.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Russian Fan said:
LMAO !!

Players under 25 would accept NON-GUARANTEED contract ? No way, you just tell them that from now on, you won't be sure to get a paycheck.

Stop thinking as a fan & start thinking as a player.

I am thinking as a player, the only thing keeping up anyone under 25 in the NHL is their consistency and effort. If I was an NHL player on the bubble and I knew that some old veterans on my team who earned $4 millions/year didn't give a full effort, I would really look forward to the day when the GM cuts his lazy ass and gives me a chance. Start thinking more along the terms of ALL the players in the NHL/AHL, not just the 20 man roster being happy together.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Seachd said:
Yeah, 5%. Wow. That's a one-time deal that only applies to current contracts. So it's pretty much worthless, and one of the weakest "concessions" in that whole proposal/joke.

You think $75 million, or 33% of the league's supposed losses last year is a worthless starting point?

Egghammer

Feb 21, 2004
London, ON
What if the NHL had a "hard" salary cap, but with guaranteed bonuses to players for meeting certain team and individual metrics. Make this standard across the board. Make both the team and player metrics achievable to allow players the ability to achieve a larger salary.

Player A has a 4 million contract per season, but can make 1 million more if his team is over .500 and makes the playoffs, another 1 million if he ends up with 90 pts, etc.

What are the pluses and negatives to this type of a situation? This way a lot of the bonuses being paid will be to players on successful teams or good players on bad teams.

Brent Burns Beard