Confirmed with Link: TRADE: Bruins get Nick Holden from NYR for Rob O'Gara and third round pick

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Sweeney must be scarred from last year's playoffs, where we had so many guys out that Tommy Cross was out on the ice. I think it's a dumb trade given Grzelcyk's play and Miller's ability to shift to the left side if necessary, but there is a measure of insurance here. We probably go with 8 d on the active roster (2 scratches) and one forward healthy scratch.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I'm not a fan of the deal but for me it essentially breaks down to a late 3rd rounder for a veteran bottom pairing playoff insurance.
Last year the Bruins ran out of D.

O'Gara ? no real future here with the kids that are coming along. His max upside , which I doubt he hits, is Hal Gill. I'd more likely see him shuttle between leagues until he hangs em up.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Donny maybe just needs to sit in his office a twiddle his fingers. Another stupid move.

I feel like all he does is twiddle his fingers. I’m happy he is at least alive enough to do something, but yeah, no roster guys moved and a borderline NHL talent acquired. About as exciting as we could have expected from him I guess.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
FWIW, Holden has spent most of this season playing on his off-side paired with Ryan McDonagh and also some time with Brendan Smith and Brady Skjei.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Holden is not bad. I think Sweeney must just like the player because O'Gara I thought had a lot more upside left in him. Meh. Steep price for a 7th defenseman on this team. Don't want to see what else Donny does with our prospect pool.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
He had 4 playoff points in 11 games last year. pretty good for bottom pairing D. If he score a a big playoff goal it will be worth it.

Also had 3 playoff goals in 7 games with Colorado a few years ago

Reactions: Strafer

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Prior to the season, O’Gara was spoken very highly of. Adding a 3rd seems... pretty surprising for a questionable player.

Prior to this season, he was expected to make a push for the bottom pairing LHD spot. He didn't impress all that much in camp, preseason, and when he played, he looked very meh on the pro roster - 8 games, 0 points, -5, two shots on net. He's been alright in Providence playing his role, but this season was a step back for him.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Trying to make sense of this trade.

Most our our NHL depth(McQuaid, Miller, Postma) is right handed, so Don wanted to add another LD with NHL experience in case of injury.

Added an actual NHL player to fill in the 4th LD spot on the depth chart, not exactly a move I'm going to get fired up about one way or the other.

Will wish O'Gara well to the Rangers. He was a good solider for the organization and had developed more than most picks the Bruins had from around that time but he has been passed in terms of importance by guys like Grzleyck, Zboril, Lauzon and Vaakanainen.

Basically fills the spot O'Gara had on the depth chart with a guy with NHL experience, and hope the coaching staff can get a little bit more out of him that he's shown in New York if the need arises. Personally, I'm hoping I never have to see him play.

Overall, meh.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I feel like all he does is twiddle his fingers. I’m happy he is at least alive enough to do something, but yeah, no roster guys moved and a borderline NHL talent acquired. About as exciting as we could have expected from him I guess.

Holden's scored 11 and 10 goals from the blueline in his career. Averages about 7 goals/21 points a year. He's better then borderline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->