Confirmed with Link: TRADE: Bruins get Nick Holden from NYR for Rob O'Gara and third round pick

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Nothing wrong with this move. Not sure why anyone is puzzled by it.

Simply put, if injuries occur down the stretch or into the playoffs, the Bruins are better off with Holden as the 4th LD spare than they would be with O'Gara.

Holden is a 3rd pair D on most teams, he's got almost 400 NHL games under his belt, has averaged 20 mins a game for his career, 19 this season.

With the emergence of Gryz, and with Zboril and Lauzon soon to be pushing down in Providence, soon to be 25-year old Rob O'Gara didn't appear to have much of a future in Boston.

A 3rd is a little bit expensive, but we don't know what the market is like for depth LD. Washington gave up a 3rd for Kempny yesterday, so that appears to be the price for 3rd pair/spare LD.

Given that the UFA rental LD market is pretty darn thin this year (Your looking at older guys like Seidenberg, Gorges, and Oduya), in theory would of raised the price on these types of players. I'd argue of the UFA Rental depth LD, the Bruins might of gotten the best one.
Hey now! Who do you think you are coming in here spewing knowledge and logic and shit?

Reactions: BMC and Chief Nine

bolt thrower

No war!
Aug 26, 2006
I already hate this deal: Way to much for a bum like Holden. Was Sweeney drunk or what? If that's Sweeneys modus operandi, I hope he stays put until after the trade deadline.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Ranger fan here.

Holden's a decent bottom pairing defenseman. He has good talent but he has a really low hockey IQ. Does some of everything though (okay defensively, can skate, has good size and can move the puck) and is a valuable bottom pairing defenseman for a playoff team. He can also play left or right.

Is O'Gara an NHL'er or just a good AHL'er? What is his game like?

Hal Gill upside. AHLer floor. No future in Boston.

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
Perhaps Miller and McQuaid have a bad record with injury, and Postma has been meh. It seems like a logical depth acquisition, though I don't like the cost.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
It's not better than the Rinaldo deal.

If Veddar is accurate and cassidy can get Holden to play like he did last year, it's 100x better

Trades typically are never as bad as one fan base makes it sound or as good as they make it sound

Sounds to me like if Cassidy can get more from Holden, it's good depth insurance, would I have liked to see a lower pick? Sure, but with our prospect pool it's hardly the be all end all.

New York fans can gloat all they want but the fact is their team sucks and Alain V is an overrated coach, Holden might play well here and he's an upgrade over Postma. We're about to enter a very tough stretch and could lose defensemen like flies pretty soon. Something also tells me Miller's injury prognosis isn't good.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Boston's Michal Kempny deal. Left-handed defenseman that can play both LD and RD. Definitely depth insurance in case Grzelcyk can't handle the playoffs or in case of injury. I would say he's better than Kempny which is why O'Gara was included in my opinion.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
The hate this trade is getting is absolutely hilarious, and typical of Bruins fans. That 3rd round pick is a late 3rd and O'Gara was never going to get a shot here unless there was a slew of injuries. Holden is a NHL defenseman. He has playoff experience, and when you get into the playoffs and need to tap into the 7th-8th-9th defenseman, I'd rather have Holden in than Postma.

Also, he was pretty good last year for a much better Rangers team. 11G/34Pts and played around 20 minutes a night.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
Can't say whether or not it was an "over payment" but as a Rangers fan, I'm happy with a 3rd rounder for Holden. Not because he's horrible though. Don't let the main boards sway you, Holden isn't a bad defenseman. He's a horrible top pair, opposite side defenseman....which is how the Rangers have been using him. If he can slide back over to the left side or play the right side and be a 5/6 D, he should be fine for you guys.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Nothing wrong with this move. Not sure why anyone is puzzled by it.

Simply put, if injuries occur down the stretch or into the playoffs, the Bruins are better off with Holden as the 4th LD spare than they would be with O'Gara.

Holden is a 3rd pair D on most teams, he's got almost 400 NHL games under his belt, has averaged 20 mins a game for his career, 19 this season.

With the emergence of Gryz, and with Zboril and Lauzon soon to be pushing down in Providence, soon to be 25-year old Rob O'Gara didn't appear to have much of a future in Boston.

A 3rd is a little bit expensive, but we don't know what the market is like for depth LD. Washington gave up a 3rd for Kempny yesterday, so that appears to be the price for 3rd pair/spare LD.

Given that the UFA rental LD market is pretty darn thin this year (Your looking at older guys like Seidenberg, Gorges, and Oduya), in theory would of raised the price on these types of players. I'd argue of the UFA Rental depth LD, the Bruins might of gotten the best one.

You'll see players of his ilk go for much less closer to the deadline IMO.

Reactions: minpind

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think most don't have a problem with upgrading out defensive depth, but it seems like a lot to pay for a #6/7 defenseman. Doesn't it?

I said the same about Kempny yesterday when that deal was announced.

Maybe that's just the current market price for veteran depth LD given it's the 2nd deal in two days for this level of player.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I don't understand the reaction here?

Bruins needed a depth LD. They could have gotten it by making a big move and pushing Gryz down, or getting a guy like Holden. He won't supplant Gryz likely. But in a series against a big physical team he might be a better matchup. And he is certainly better than Postma or putting Miller on his off side.

I'm bummed they are out on McD now... but Holden was at the top of my list for a depth UFA LD. Wanted him way more than the guys who can't skate like Seidenberg.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Rangers trade Nick Holden to Bruins as fire sale begins

The 30-year-old Holden will be an unrestricted free agent this summer. He played 135 games as a Ranger after being acquired from Colorado before the 2016-17 season for a fourth-round pick.

Holden has three goals and nine assists in 55 games this season. He spent a large portion of the season playing to Ryan McDonagh's right on the top pair.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Ranger fan here.

Holden's a decent bottom pairing defenseman. He has good talent but he has a really low hockey IQ. Does some of everything though (okay defensively, can skate, has good size and can move the puck) and is a valuable bottom pairing defenseman for a playoff team. He can also play left or right.

Is O'Gara an NHL'er or just a good AHL'er? What is his game like?
He is an NHLer.......Just not sure where. I would say he can be like a bottom pairing solid guy potential.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Bruins will now have 9 defensemen on the NHL roster. Only McAvoy, Grzelcyk and Carlo can be sent down without being exposed to waivers. Will they expose someone (Postma?), or might there be another trade in the works with a defensemen being moved out?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad