Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v9 - Deadline Looming

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I still think the best the Leafs can do and should do is a trade with either Anahiem or Carolina. Dubas should remain focused on acquiring one of Pesce or Montour as the primary deal. A second cheaper deal depending on the pieces going out should be for Gudas, Jensen or McQuaid.

As long as one of Zaitsev or Gardiner go out in the primary deal, this would be the best way for the Leafs to better the D instantly.

RLF

May 5, 2014
well shop elsewhere, no concussion cases please. Easy way to throw away assets.

Yes concussions are an issue in Ekblad. Nylander has concussion history as well, although not as many.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I don't see why a team like Carolina wouldn't want an upgrade on their left side of their defense. Their right side is stacked. Slotting Gardiner in their top 4 with what they have makes them that much better.

Slavin-Faulk
Gardiner-Hamilton
De Hann- TVR

Something like Gardiner, Brown, Moore, 2nd for Pesce, Ferland

Gardiner and Ferland are a wash as UFAs. Brown, Moore and 2nd for Pesce is fair.

Reilly-Pesce
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Rumour is a 4th

Reasonable price. Would require another move in the meantime. Could be as "simple" as sending Ozhiganov to the AHL and not losing anything. I don't know that they're prepared to do that though, given the clause in his contract and that they opted to waive and demote Marincin after acquiring Muzzin. Should be an interesting lead up to the deadline.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Reasonable price. Would require another move in the meantime. Could be as "simple" as sending Ozhiganov to the AHL and not losing anything. I don't know that they're prepared to do that though, given the clause in his contract and that they opted to waive and demote Marincin after acquiring Muzzin. Should be an interesting lead up to the deadline.

Waive Holl he's not going to play

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Is this Leafs team good enough to spend assets on for the playoffs, or should this be a year when you see if they can win a round?

How much would you give up to have this defense?

Rielly - Pesce (or equivalent)
Muzzin - Montour (or equivalent)

Consider that to be your defense for the next 4 years

Not trading: Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, Hyman, Kadri, Marleau albatross

Everyone on the Marlies available.

Dermott, Johnsson, Zaitsev, Hainsey, Liljegren, Sandin, Brown, Gauthier, Bracco, picks, ...

Are we willing to go for it, or are we still living in the Burke era where we fall in love with any prospect that has a pulse?

You never know, but I don't think the Leafs are ready to compete for the Cup, but they are solidly a playoffs team.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yes concussions are an issue in Ekblad. Nylander has concussion history as well, although not as many.

nylander 1

ekblad ive lost count but minimum 3, that is a major red flag one that makes the price you suggest not worth it in the slightest

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Is this Leafs team good enough to spend assets on for the playoffs, or should this be a year when you see if they can win a round?

Not trading: Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, Hyman, Kadri, Marleau albatross

Dermott, Johnsson, Zaitsev, Hainsey, Liljegren, Sandin, Brown, Gauthier, Bracco, picks, ...

Are we willing to go for it, or are we still living in the Burke era where we fall in love with any prospect that has a pulse?

You never know, but I don't think the Leafs are ready to compete for the Cup, but they are solidly a playoffs team.

1. Yes they should tweak the team including the trade of JG
2. Yes
3. It doesn't have to be a defender on a long term deal
4. Some Marlies are good options
5. Names Names Names?
6. I hope we are willing to go for it or else I don't know what we are doing here giving out 11.6m contracts
7. So when will they be ready? When all the other support players want inflated raises as well? We have proven we can't sign contracts in this town so we may as well look to trade to build a team. Dubas completely sucks, but his trades and poaching has been good!

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

If you want Pesce, expect to part with Kappy. I love Kappy but filling that hole for the next 5 years at a cost effective 4M is appealing.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I actually think they're the best sources for info with this management group.

Yep, those two guys and Justin Bourne are the likely best sources for insider gossip inside the Leafs management group.

The more established TV guys not so much but they seem to get stuff leaked to them by Babs/coaches (at least that’s how Mirtle seemed to suggest was the case)

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Jensen would be a great get for Dubas and Leafs. Instantly makes our defense better. To me he's a younger Hainsey. If this is the best we can do, I wouldn't hesitate to grab him and put him with Reilly.

Reilly-Jensen
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey

Oh wait where do I put Gardiner!!!!! That's right, trade his lazy butt.

Reactions: DougGilmour93

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I don't want to go all in, or any version of that this year.

We added Tavares in free agency, Marner and Matthew's have taken a big step forwards, Johnson and Kap have shown up. Overal our forward core is better than last year.

Our D lost Polak, gained Ozighanov (which I'd argue is a wash) and some guy named friggin Muzzin.

We brought Boston to game 7 3rd period last year. We have gotten better up front and on D.

I'm not really willing to dump more assets (picks or prospects) that are hard to replace into this years team. They have the ability to beat the Bruins in the 1dt round, and no reason they cant go farther.

BUT the amount we would need to add this year to make us on the level of a Tampa or Winnipeg would cripple us long term.

If it's a good deal for a D, that somehow drops Zaitaev of course. But the 'johnson/kapanen + + + for a RHD would kill our long term ability to compete. We will need those pics to become ELC guys in the near future when a our guys are getting paid.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I believe how the Leafs are constructed this year, they can beat Boston in a 7 game series regardless of home advantage.

We have better forward depth then before, and our D is better then last season. As for getting by TB....well I don't know if that is possible. But you never know. Only one period of bad hockey and hot goalie against these guys that cost us a game. Or else we have outplayed them both times this season.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I believe how the Leafs are constructed this year, they can beat Boston in a 7 game series regardless of home advantage.

We have better forward depth then before, and our D is better then last season. As for getting by TB....well I don't know if that is possible. But you never know. Only one period of bad hockey and hot goalie against these guys that cost us a game. Or else we have outplayed them both times this season.

There's always a psychological question of facing the Bruins as well. The media will continue to bring up the "Big Bad Bruins" narrative against the leafs.

Thats why I think acquiring McQuaid may be more beneficial than we realize. For both on and off ice presence

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't see why a team like Carolina wouldn't want an upgrade on their left side of their defense. Their right side is stacked. Slotting Gardiner in their top 4 with what they have makes them that much better.

Slavin-Faulk
Gardiner-Hamilton
De Hann- TVR

Something like Gardiner, Brown, Moore, 2nd for Pesce, Ferland

Gardiner and Ferland are a wash as UFAs. Brown, Moore and 2nd for Pesce is fair.

Reilly-Pesce
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey

A couple of counter points from a Canes POV:

1) The Canes need help up front and this deal would take away a top 6 forward (Ferland) and take away a young defenseman with a great contract (Pesce) and not give them back anything they need. While Gardiner and Ferland may be a wash in terms of league wide value because they are UFAs, they are not a wash when it comes to needs in Carolina.
2) I think they easily keep Pesce vs. taking Brown, Moore and a late 2nd in return.
3) Slavin Faulk was already tried and didn't work. Slavin-Hamilton is working well right now. De Hann-Faulk also worked well. Gardiner-Faulk would be a nightmare defensively. Not sure how Gardiner fits without screwing up the rest of their pairings.

Anyhow, given the Canes are 1 point out, I'd be very surprised if Pesce gets traded now so I can't see it happening.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Honestly, it may not be anyone’s year, other than Tampa’s. Sure, we could beat them and will likely have to, to go forward. But they just might be too good this year for anyone. What they are doing this year is crazy, and likely a one off. Not because they will become bad, but because this is unprecedented this day and age.

I think they will “regress” to a normal level, aka have 82 points at this juncture next year, not 94. And have their leading scorer on pace for 105 points, not 130. Aka regression to a more beatable level, while still being the class of the league.

Maybe this is the year to let Tampa do their thing and then pounce next year. I’m not saying this should be the strategy, but just very likely how it will play out anyways, no matter what anyone does or tries to do. They are toying with the field right now.

Reactions: TML1967

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
When you have Tavares, Matthews, and Kadri as you 3 top centers....there is no year to let Tampa have it.

With those 3 centers you should be winning round after round where centers and their value are at a premium.

Giving into Tampa and conceding that they are eventual winners of it all is just foolish.

Reactions: Menzinger

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
When you have Tavares, Matthews, and Kadri as you 3 top centers....there is no year to let Tampa have it.

With those 3 centers you should be winning round after round where centers and their value are at a premium.

Giving into Tampa and conceding that they are eventual winners of it all is just foolish.

If Kutcherov does not cool down, it will be really difficult to beat TB. Those 3 Cs, Rielly and Freddy need to elevate their games in order top beat TB. That was the case for OV, Kuz, Holtby and Karlsson and a few of their supporting cast last year.

Kadri, Nylander, Matthews, and Freddy not so much last year.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Z has no net presence. Constantly loses battles in front of Freddy. I would have no problem replacing him with McQuaid unless McQuaid proves to be a dud in Blue and White.

Rielly Hainsey
Mussin Dermott
Gards McQuaid

If the reported asks are correct, they could easily afford to add both McQuaid (18:00 minute guy) and Jensen (actual 20:00 minute guy) without giving up any significant assets so no need to play McQuaid in the top 4 at all. Also with two added RD no argument for keeping Gards as a third pairing guy.

Rielly Jensen
Muzzin Zaitsev
Dermott Hainsey
Oz (if he isn't moved in McQuaid deal)

This gives Zaitsev the best opportunity to succeed in a top 4 role that he has had since coming to the club, to either establish his place, or enhance his value in a trade. It cuts Hainsey down to comfortable minutes and conserves the big assets for next year if they want to trade for an impact player.

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Kadri, Holl and Ennis for McQuaid and Ryan Strome

McQuaid gives us a good RHD and his contract is up at the end of the season, so his cap hit would be gone in the off-season, or if a trade is made for Zaitsev, he can fill in at a reasonable cap hit and adding Strome would fill in for Kadri.
Cap numbers are close but it gives us options for the off season, Ennis is a UFA and Holl should be easily replaced.

Strome just got traded for Spooner who is barely an NHLer. McQuaid was acquired for a 4th, a 7th, and a salary dump, so figure something less than that this year . You must really hate Kadri :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad