Trade and Free Agency Thread - C'mon More Trades!

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Muzzin and Holl looked tired last game, and it wasn't even a back-to-back. I wonder if the Leafs don't bring a depth Dmen, if they'd rotate some of the Marlies. I think it'd be a good idea. I don't really care if we finish 1st or not.
Muzz was sore. He fell pretty hard in his house.

Reactions: Burnie97

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
If the Leafs make no other trades then here’s my best guess what’s going to happen tomorrow:

- Barabanov and Marincin will be sent to the taxi squad.
- Foligno and Nylander will be placed on COVID Non-Roster.
- The Leafs will then recall Barabanov or another forward on Emergency Recall following the Foligno/Nylander placements. (Note: doesn’t matter which forward is recalled, the Leafs can swap them day to day)
- That recalled forward can be sent back down after the trade deadline later due to being on Emergency Exception.
- Eventually Andersen will be activated and Hutchinson returned to the taxi/AHL also as he’s on a Emergency Recall as well.

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If the Leafs make no other trades then here’s my best guess what’s going to happen tomorrow:

- Barabanov and Marincin will be sent to the taxi squad.
- Foligno and Nylander will be placed on COVID Non-Roster.
- The Leafs will then recall Barabanov or another forward on Emergency Recall following the Foligno/Nylander placements. (Note: doesn’t matter which forward is recalled, the Leafs can swap them day to day)
- That recalled forward can be sent back down after the trade deadline later due to being on Emergency Exception.
- Eventually Andersen will be activated and Hutchinson returned to the taxi/AHL also as he’s on a Emergency Recall as well.

Is there any procedural barrier to them enacting that plan, but in place of recalling Barabanov instead roster a recently acquired defender of equal or lesser cap hit that came from within the North division?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Why would toronto even bother bringing Freddie back before playoffs start?

there are 15 games left. Freddie isn’t even skating yet.

say he is off the ice for 1 more week. Now you have 11 games. Then he skates for a week to 10’days.

so what he plays 2 games? I would much rather the space and give him a 2 week conditioning stint

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Is there any procedural barrier to them enacting that plan, but in place of recalling Barabanov instead roster a recently acquired defender of equal or lesser cap hit that came from within the North division?

If they use Covid Non-Roster for Foligno and Nylander then the Emergency Recall player has to be a forward. The Covid rules only allow a recall if the team has less then 12F or 6D due to a Covid Non-Roster, with the recall player replacing that position.

Should emphasize any recalls for Foligno and Nylander would be temporary. After they rejoin the team the Emergency Recall player has to be sent back to the AHL.

Reactions: 4thline

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Why would toronto even bother bringing Freddie back before playoffs start?

there are 15 games left. Freddie isn’t even skating yet.

say he is off the ice for 1 more week. Now you have 11 games. Then he skates for a week to 10’days.

so what he plays 2 games? I would much rather the space and give him a 2 week conditioning stint

Can’t do two weeks on a LTIR conditioning loan. The limit is 6 days, with the option to ask for 2 more games, but no guarantee of the NHL approving an extension.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Can’t do two weeks on a LTIR conditioning loan. The limit is 6 days, with the option to ask for 2 more games, but no guarantee of the NHL approving an extension.
True but they don’t have to take him off LTIR after the conditioning stint. So get him some games down in the A near the end of the year and then have him come off the first game of the playoffs

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Mike Rielly for a 2022 3rd

I'd have targeted him if his cap made sense. Would have been a solid 3rd pairing addition for us.

Good move for the Bruins but probabaly not close to enough to help them go deep this year

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Bruins trade a 3rd for Mike Reilly lol

He had 31 pts in 70 games as a Sen. His production was very solid. He wont get the same usage and opportunity but a 3rd isnt too much for solid 3rd pairing guy. Especially looking at the injuries they have had and the fact their young defenders havent broken in as easily as they had planned.

Plus 3rd is not till 2022 which typically makes the pick less valuable (though that could not be the case with 2021 draft being weird due to COVID)

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
True but they don’t have to take him off LTIR after the conditioning stint. So get him some games down in the A near the end of the year and then have him come off the first game of the playoffs

The Leafs must immediately take Andersen off LTIR after a Conditioning Loan, or have their team doctors submit a medical evaluation that Andersen is still unfit to play after the Conditioning Loan.

A still unfit to play diagnosis would be heavily scrutinized by the NHL, including evaluation by one or more independent doctors. If the NHL decided Toronto was playing shenanigans with LTIR the penalties the league can impose are very severe.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
The Leafs must immediately take Andersen off LTIR after a Conditioning Loan, or have their team doctors submit a medical evaluation that Andersen is still unfit to play after the Conditioning Loan.

A still unfit to play diagnosis would be heavily scrutinized by the NHL, including evaluation by one or more independent doctors. If the NHL decided Toronto was playing shenanigans with LTIR the penalties the league can impose are very severe.
We did it with Soshnikov. Kept him on LTIR for like a month until we traded him to the Blues

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
So goalie depth addressed, got our forward all though I have issues with it. We still can do more. I want another forward. I can live with the Foligno deal if we can get another forward. Someone like Iafallo would be perfect if available

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
So goalie depth addressed, got our forward all though I have issues with it. We still can do more. I want another forward. I can live with the Foligno deal if we can get another forward. Someone like Iafallo would be perfect if available
Probably uses the rest on a dman.

Maybe they're pushing for Oleksiak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->