Trade and Free Agency Thread - C'mon More Trades!

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Next season on the cheap:

Muzzin Brodie
Sandin Holl
M.Staal Bogo
7/8: Hutton-Liljegren

Trade Rielly + Dermott for forward help (Top six LW, #3C).

I think you run into a mess of problems if you're asking Muzzin to play top pairing minutes. Even at his best, he wasn't really capable of that.

I can understand Rielly getting traded, but you need to bring in something of value to play top 4 minutes. But on the other hand, the franchise is finally in a position to compete and we're asking a young Sandin with under 40 games of NHL experience to carry the load offensively.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think you run into a mess of problems if you're asking Muzzin to play top pairing minutes. Even at his best, he wasn't really capable of that.

I can understand Rielly getting traded, but you need to bring in something of value to play top 4 minutes. But on the other hand, the franchise is finally in a position to compete and we're asking a young Sandin with under 40 games of NHL experience to carry the load offensively.

Barrie? :naughty::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
You move him because he'll demand 7-8m per after getting screwed the first time around with a home town discount.

He had a career high of 36 points at the time. I don't think 5 mill (which was the equivalent of 5.7 mill in today's dollars at the time) was taking a discount. At least not to the point where he thinks he needs to get it compensated now.

I highly doubt he gets more than 7 mill on his next deal. 7 mill is still fair for Rielly, and I'd consider paying it if we can't figure out a proper way to replace him, but that is his absolute max. He's not getting 8 mill in this climate and the only way he would have received it is if he repeated his 20 goal, 72 point season a bunch of times.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
You think we maybe offer Rielly for Weegar this offseason.

Brodie-Weegar
Muzzin-Liljegren
Sandin-Dermott

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
How come?

If we were not willing to move Dermott + Johnsson for him last year, we are not going to move Rielly for him this year regardless of how good he was this year. If he regresses to what he was outside of this year, much like guys like Manson have done after having one or two good years, we just traded a legitimate #1 defenseman for a guy who is barely a 2nd pairing guy without a high end partner to put with him (effectively another Justin Holl or older Travis Dermott, which is why we weren't willing to trade for him in the first place).

I would not put many bets on a lot of these Florida guys repeating what they've been able to do this year in a division that has lacked consistent quality outside of Tampa and Carolina (teams where Florida has struggled to have consistent success). If they do, then good for them, but I am not taking the risk to find out. I would rather invest in our own cheap bargain bin guys and hope they turn out similar to what Florida did with their guys.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
If we were not willing to move Dermott + Johnsson for him last year, we are not going to move Rielly for him this year regardless of how good he was this year. If he regresses to what he was outside of this year, much like guys like Manson have done after having one or two good years, we just traded a legitimate #1 defenseman for a guy who is barely a 2nd pairing guy without a high end partner to put with him (effectively another Justin Holl or older Travis Dermott, which is why we weren't willing to trade for him in the first place).

I would not put many bets on a lot of these Florida guys repeating what they've been able to do this year in a division that has lacked consistent quality outside of Tampa and Carolina (teams where Florida has struggled to have consistent success). If they do, then good for them, but I am not taking the risk to find out. I would rather invest in our own cheap bargain bin guys and hope they turn out similar to what Florida did with their guys.

But I keep hearing and reading on here that Rielly is trash now

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

But I keep hearing and reading on here that Rielly is trash now

There’s been plenty of debate if we should move Rielly. There's hopefully clarity on what he is now.

Pro's:
- Good offensive first d-man
- Worthy of his cap hit
- Great transition game
- Elite skater
- Great on the rush
- Adequate to log big minutes. Will play the "part" of a #1.

Cons:
You could argue lacks high hockey IQ.
Lacks defensive awareness in key moments (talking about 2 on 1's)
Has questionable decision making on the P.P at times
Not prime Duncan Keith , Drew Doughty or Chris Pronger.

To me (and it's not a con on Rielly) it isn't that there is something inherently wrong with Rielly - it's just that he's not an elite #1. Brodie, Muzzin, Holl, Sandin, Lilly, Bogosian are better in their roles as #2, #3, #4, #5 and #6 d-men at their cap hits. If we could ever get a #1 then Rielly is the most logical piece to move IMO.

Should we trade him? Some people get emotional over this topic. The answer for me is you always upgrade the player if you can. Is there a player who’s better then Rielly at his cap hit that we could target? That's really the only question we should be asking. I've been searching for that player. I'd be happy to move Rielly for an upgrade but I'm not seeing any #1 D who are realistically available that are also better then Rielly at his cap hit. Anyone have any names who are? Because I do think an upgrade could really propel this team i'm just not sure who it is.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
There’s been plenty of debate if we should move Rielly. There's hopefully clarity on what he is now.

Pro's:
- Good offensive first d-man
- Worthy of his cap hit
- Great transition game
- Elite skater
- Great on the rush
- Adequate to log big minutes. Will play the "part" of a #1.

Cons:
You could argue lacks high hockey IQ.
Lacks defensive awareness in key moments (talking about 2 on 1's)
Has questionable decision making on the P.P at times
Not prime Duncan Keith , Drew Doughty or Chris Pronger.

To me (and it's not a con on Rielly) it isn't that there is something inherently wrong with Rielly - it's just that he's not an elite #1. Brodie, Muzzin, Holl, Sandin, Lilly, Bogosian are better in their roles as #2, #3, #4, #5 and #6 d-men at their cap hits. If we could ever get a #1 then Rielly is the most logical piece to move IMO.

Should we trade him? Some people get emotional over this topic. The answer for me is you always upgrade the player if you can. Is there a player who’s better then Rielly at his cap hit that we could target? That's really the only question we should be asking. I've been searching for that player. I'd be happy to move Rielly for an upgrade but I'm not seeing any #1 D who are realistically available that are also better then Rielly at his cap hit. Anyone have any names who are? Because I do think an upgrade could really propel this team i'm just not sure how it is.

Dougie Hamilton is the only one. If we get him, then we can move Rielly.

If we talk about the year Rielly is a UFA, then we can look at Seth Jones, Colton Parayko, Mattias Ekholm, PK Subban, Kris Letang, Mark Giordano, Darnell Nurse, Hampus Lindholm, Ryan Pulock, etc.

Obviously some of these names are not like the others, and not 1D's at all, but at least could be considered as higher quality stop gaps or something of that nature for Rielly.

We are not replacing Rielly with Sandin or Weegar. It is not happening, and neither are going to be able to replace what he can do right now. Sandin is going to need at least 2-3 years before he is even in consideration as a Rielly replacement, which could make some of those older guys a possibility as stop gaps.

Reactions: Puckstuff

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I don't mind keeping Rielly, but his cap hit has to be in line with a guy that can be part of a top-four, like Brodie and Muzzin, rather than a bonafide #1. I'm okay with something in the 6.25-6.5 range, beyond that it gets dicey.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
The thing with Rielly is that he's not as good offensively as most think, yet his defensive game is better than most think. In the middle somewhere is a good player that shouldn't get top tier money, but easily fits in the next group.

He's 12th in PPG over the last 4 seasons amongst defensemen with at least 80 games played. Guys ahead of him are:

Makar
Carlson
Hedman
Burns
Krug
Josi
Hughes
Letang
Barrie
Karlsson
Fox

Will be interesting to see what Barrie signs for. Somewhere around Krug money is probably right.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Far into the future but a player I might keep an eye out for in the summer: Jeff Skinner. Buffalo might buy him out in the summer and he'd be pocketing $37M from that buyout. A league min in Toronto for the Toronto native might make a ton of sense. He has been good on the PP in the past. And he's exhibited good hockey sense since entering the league. And here's a huge kicker: he has never played a single NHL playoff game in his 11 years in the league!

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Far into the future but a player I might keep an eye out for in the summer: Jeff Skinner. Buffalo might buy him out in the summer and he'd be pocketing $37M from that buyout. A league min in Toronto for the Toronto native might make a ton of sense. He has been good on the PP in the past. And he's exhibited good hockey sense since entering the league. And here's a huge kicker: he has never played a single NHL playoff game in his 11 years in the league!
he may get claimed by Seattle ...and yea, i'm being serious.
the defense and goalies will be high end, but not so much as scorers.
Leafs may lose Kerfoot vs Dermott simply because there is no higher end C's going to be available, and Skinner may be the top goal scorer available to Seattle. ...not to mention, they need to hit the Cap Floor, so, they some bigger ticket players too. Unless UFA's think they will be signing up for LVGK part II and hop on the expansion bandwagon (and because Seattle can overpay everyone, and so few teams have any cap space)

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
he may get claimed by Seattle ...and yea, i'm being serious.
the defense and goalies will be high end, but not so much as scorers.
Leafs may lose Kerfoot vs Dermott simply because there is no higher end C's going to be available, and Skinner may be the top goal scorer available to Seattle. ...not to mention, they need to hit the Cap Floor, so, they some bigger ticket players too. Unless UFA's think they will be signing up for LVGK part II and hop on the expansion bandwagon (and because Seattle can overpay everyone, and so few teams have any cap space)

That's a long term ticket they'd be gambling on.

I have no doubts Skinner would benefit with a change of scenery but the term outstanding on that deal is really bad. Big risk even if he rebounds to be a decent top 9 player.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
That's a long term ticket they'd be gambling on.

I have no doubts Skinner would benefit with a change of scenery but the term outstanding on that deal is really bad. Big risk even if he rebounds to be a decent top 9 player.
He may have the worst contract in the NHL right now, but, Seattle can likely get a 'bonus' to pick him also.
Any decent GM would try to get an asset attached, even if they were planning on picking him anyways.
On Seattle, He'd likely be the goto sniper on their top line.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
He may have the worst contract in the NHL right now, but, Seattle can likely get a 'bonus' to pick him also.
Any decent GM would try to get an asset attached, even if they were planning on picking him anyways.
On Seattle, He'd likely be the goto sniper on their top line.
I get your thought process and it makes some sense, if Skinner had 1, 2 or even 3 years left on his deal I could see it, but he has 6 more years left. They do need to get to the cap floor but even if a Vegas instant contender isn't on their minds as a possibility they have to be hoping to contend, or at least be a playoff team within 3 or 4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->