Trade and Free Agency Thread - C'mon More Trades!

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
The play in series doesn't officially count as a series win, and he's 33 years old. If our core players have 1 series win a decade from now, I doubt we will be looking at them as elite playoff performers. It's also not just his offensive totals that were down with Columbus this year, but his overall game as well. Picking him over Hall was definitely a pretty big gamble

Foligno has played in 51 playoff games
Hall has played in 14 playoff games

Foligno has playoff hockey experience, and plays the style and role we were lacking.

Reactions: horner and Rocker13

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Foligno has played in 51 playoff games
Hall has played in 14 playoff games

Foligno has playoff hockey experience, and plays the style and role we were lacking.
The "played playoff games" argument is really weak. Ron Hainsey had a career total of 0 playoff games and ended up being a key member of a Pittsburgh team that won a cup.

Just because Folingo has played playoff games doesn't mean he's been good neccessarily. He got caved in at 5 on 5 in last years playoffs.

I would have preferred Hall given the prices of both. That said our lineup is deeper than it has ever been and Folingo just adds to that.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
The leafs have 6 defensmen (Brodie, Muzzin, Rielly, Holl, Sandin, Lilly) that are or are capable of being top 4 d-men and 2 d-men (Dermott and Bogosian) that are above average bottom pair guys... however we don't have an elite #1 d-man, rather a bunch of guys who are closer to #2 or #3's.

I would like to explore a 2 for 1 trade where we trade two top 4 d-men for a top 1 d-man like one of the top defensmen in the game using a Rielly+Liliegren package if a top #1 d-man comes available. I'm thinking someone like a Fox or Josi. Not to many of them available though if any and making it work cap wise is the hardest part.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Seth Jones potentially available this off-season if he won't sign an extension. I don't think they wanna wait around for guys to walk.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Seth Jones potentially available this off-season if he won't sign an extension. I don't think they wanna wait around for guys to walk.

Is Seth Jones as good as his reputation though? His game seems to gone downhill the last few years, I'm not sure if that's on him, or the team he's playing on.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Is Seth Jones as good as his reputation though? His game seems to gone downhill the last few years, I'm not sure if that's on him, or the team he's playing on.
Seth Jones in Toronto would be an absolute beast at both ends of the ice. Would expect his point totals to go up significantly. His shot on the power play would be wayyyyyy better than mo's wrister from the point.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That would be a great grab

Muzzin Jones
Sandin Brodie
Dermott Lilly

I suspect it's an issue with the team. Keep in mind Foligno had like 3 points in around 20 games prior to joining us. He's got 3 in 3GP now. I don't expect that trend to continue necessarily for Foligno but just shows it's likely more of a team thing. They're eliminated and bad this year.

I think Flyers would make a ton of sense, but I would personally love something like what was posted above. I would probably retain BoGo though

I imagine Nylander and Holl are the starting point. This will all likely depend on our appetite for change this off-season. Early exit? All bets are off.

We win a cup? Do whatever you like :)

Long run but certain players disappoint? We'll see.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
My question on Jones, is more on the defensive side. Is he really that good on the defensive side? Anyone with real data on that?

Also, what would his salary demands be? As really we can't afford much of a bump, if he wants $8 mil... same situation as we would be in with Rielly.

Maybe Rielly + swap, for Jones? Or assets obtained in a Rielly trade out, for Jones, plus... I'd try and hang onto Nylander. Holl, Rielly, no problem..

Reactions: Rocker13

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I'd put a decent sum on money on Seth Jones signing as a free agent with Dallas. Don't see him as a realistic option for us at all.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
My question on Jones, is more on the defensive side. Is he really that good on the defensive side? Anyone with real data on that?

Also, what would his salary demands be? As really we can't afford much of a bump, if he wants $8 mil... same situation as we would be in with Rielly.

Maybe Rielly + swap, for Jones? Or assets obtained in a Rielly trade out, for Jones, plus... I'd try and hang onto Nylander. Holl, Rielly, no problem..

I seriously doubt Rielly is getting 8 mill. Even 7 mill is pushing it in this climate, unless he has an excellent contract year where he is a clear cut top 15 defenseman.

I think he either gets 6 x 8 or 6.5 x 7. Front-loaded and a full NTC for the first 5 years, just like Krug and Faulk received from the Blues. He would be 34 or 35 in the last year of his deal, which is pretty much the same thing as Muzzin's deal right now.

I think if a guy is getting 8 mill, it is probably Dougie Hamilton and Seth Jones. Nurse, Lindholm, Parayko, Rielly, Pulock, Klingberg, etc. likely don't get that money.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Jones is going to get a monster contract, I doubt he'd be on the Leafs radar. Would be too disruptive salary wise.

Hamilton would be cheaper and is definitely a Dubas' type of player, but I'd imagine he'd price himself out too.

Rielly's contract will probably be a lot more reasonable - either with the Leafs or elsewhere. He doesn't really have a case to be making star D man money, and the covid crunch will also keep his dollar amount down.

Reactions: geo25

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Jones is insane defensively...Hes prob the 2nd best all around defenseman in the league after Hedman.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I'd put a decent sum on money on Seth Jones signing as a free agent with Dallas. Don't see him as a realistic option for us at all.

Interesting thing about Jones, his dad was a Raptor during his formative years but the hockey thing started when his dad played for Denver and Seth saw the Avs win the cup live.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Interesting thing about Jones, his dad was a Raptor during his formative years but the hockey thing started when his dad played for Denver and Seth saw the Avs win the cup live.

A bit ironic for sure, but Seth was basically a toddler during Popeye's stint with the Raptors. Probably too young to be impressionable.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I suspect it's an issue with the team. Keep in mind Foligno had like 3 points in around 20 games prior to joining us. He's got 3 in 3GP now. I don't expect that trend to continue necessarily for Foligno but just shows it's likely more of a team thing. They're eliminated and bad this year.

I think Flyers would make a ton of sense, but I would personally love something like what was posted above. I would probably retain BoGo though

I imagine Nylander and Holl are the starting point. This will all likely depend on our appetite for change this off-season. Early exit? All bets are off.

We win a cup? Do whatever you like :)

Long run but certain players disappoint? We'll see.

I can't say I'm keen giving up that much for 1 year of Jones before he needs a massive new contract extension

Jones is going to get a monster contract, I doubt he'd be on the Leafs radar. Would be too disruptive salary wise.

Hamilton would be cheaper and is definitely a Dubas' type of player, but I'd imagine he'd price himself out too.

Rielly's contract will probably be a lot more reasonable - either with the Leafs or elsewhere. He doesn't really have a case to be making star D man money, and the covid crunch will also keep his dollar amount down.

Unless Rielly's contract demands are very reasonable I'd look to shop him this off-season

I'm not sure I want to pay a guy 6.5M-7M+ when we already have Muzzin, Dermott and Sandin who could all realistically play as top 4 LD next season

Reactions: Menzinger

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
I can't say I'm keen giving up that much for 1 year of Jones before he needs a massive new contract extension

Unless Rielly's contract demands are very reasonable I'd look to shop him this off-season

I'm not sure I want to pay a guy 6.5M-7M+ when we already have Muzzin, Dermott and Sandin who could all realistically play as top 4 LD next season
i picture him getting something between Doughty/Pietrangelo at 7 years... and worth it.

I'd shop Rielly regardless if we can snag a top D prospect for him.
find who has NHL ready D-men buried, and/or are going to lose a top d prospect to Seattle and try to swing a deal.
remember Fox was obtained for a 2nd and a conditional 3rd, and he wasnt Carolina's best D prospect either.

Reactions: geo25

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Part of the reason for moving Rielly is to help re-allocate some cap space flexibility.

Bringing in Jones, who will command a big contract, doesn't help in that regard.

Reactions: Menzinger

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Next season on the cheap:

Muzzin Brodie
Sandin Holl
M.Staal Bogo
7/8: Hutton-Liljegren

Trade Rielly + Dermott for forward help (Top six LW, #3C).

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Next season on the cheap:

Muzzin Brodie
Sandin Holl
M.Staal Bogo
7/8: Hutton-Liljegren

Trade Rielly + Dermott for forward help (Top six LW, #3C).

I don’t think you move Dermott under this scenario. I’m not his biggest fan, but I also can’t deny other players similar to him have blossomed at his age +1-2.

I’d also put Muzzin and Brodie on different lines.

Holl is someone I might move, before Dermott.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad