Trade and Free Agency Thread - C'mon More Trades!

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I would hope a competent NHL gm could see Calgary is a dumpster fire that was holding Bennett back. At that low cost I can't believe the Leafs missed out. Even before he played a game for Florida I thought that was well worth the gamble, and a guy that'd be a perfect fit as this team's 3C or a top 6 LW

He also requires expansion draft protection, is arbitration eligible and has a qualifying offer of 2.55 mill.

There is more too it than just the cost paid for Bennett, he was a huge risk and was likely considered a rental for any team tight to the cap. Makes a lot more sense for Florida to make that deal than Toronto.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
yeah, seems like he's doing well. No idea why some find that so offensive? This place can be so weird.

I found the price tag to be quite high but I just found it funny people weren't willing to toss a spare part like Kerfoot out there for Bennett.

He must have *really* hated playing for Calgary though lol.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He also requires expansion draft protection, is arbitration eligible and has a qualifying offer of 2.55 mill.

There is more too it than just the cost paid for Bennett, he was a huge risk and was likely considered a rental for any team tight to the cap. Makes a lot more sense for Florida to make that deal than Toronto.

People are never happy.

Foligno was a more known quality of player. We absolutely knew what we are getting with him, and that is what we needed. A captain, a leader, with some playoff success, who can play the playoff game.

Hall and Bennett, were struggling players, that you were making a bet would turn their games around.

Had we picked up either Hall or Bennett, and either continued their struggles, the same posters would be asking why Dubas made a bet on a player turning their game around, when a known player like Foligno was available.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
People are never happy.

Foligno was a more known quality of player. We absolutely knew what we are getting with him, and that is what we needed. A captain, with some playoff success, who can play the playoff game.

Hall and Bennett, were struggling players, that you were making a bet would turn their games around.

Had we picked up either Hall or Bennett, and either continued their struggles, the same posters would be asking why Dubas made a bet on a player turning their game around, when a known player like Foligno was available.

One key difference here is that Bennett has never been able to put together a season that came close to his potential (maybe his rookie season) .. And Calgary tried him in various roles up and down the line up, so he had opportunities.

Hall had a track record with a Hart trophy in his case at the very least.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
People are never happy.

Foligno was a more known quality of player. We absolutely knew what we are getting with him, and that is what we needed. A captain, a leader, with some playoff success, who can play the playoff game.

No regrets on Foligno, leadership and even if he's not lighting it up, he can still contribute to the team.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
People are never happy.

I'll just caveat with I'm very happy with Foligno and think it's a great fit. Your post is absolutely right in that people would be criticizing Hall if he was here and struggling, but:

I think Hall was a great fit especially in playoff games where MTL is going to play the NZ trap. We struggled to break through last time (without Nylander who's our best at doing it) and think adding more of those players is a good thing.

Reactions: stickty111

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'll just caveat with I'm very happy with Foligno and think it's a great fit. Your post is absolutely right in that people would be criticizing Hall if he was here and struggling, but:

I think Hall was a great fit especially in playoff games where MTL is going to play the NZ trap. We struggled to break through last time (without Nylander who's our best at doing it) and think adding more of those players is a good thing.

You can dump, chase and win some puck battles too, change up the attack.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Given the costs, I would've gone with Foligno because he is more of a known player, while Bennett has really struggled this year. Saying that, if Calgary were willing to do Kerfoot for Bennett, I would've definitely done that.

For me it is not a matter of whether we traded for Bennett or not. I thought he was worth the risk if we could not land that long rumoured top 6 winger. Dubas ended up adding Foligno and I credit him for his work at the TDL. What irked me were the haters saying he was an overpaid, bad 4th liner who was not worth much more than one of our scrubs. Clearly Bennett has shown he is better than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bloomberg

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
You can dump, chase and win some puck battles too, change up the attack.
For sure, but typically those are easier breakouts because you have so many guys back.

I think the double-drop tactic (34 to 16 and vice-versa) they use on the PP can also be effective, they just didn't use it on the 12th versus them.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
There were several issues with Bennett that made passing on him the right move. The cost (approximately two 2nds) is pricey for his track record, he needs to be protected in the expansion draft, his qualifying offer of 2.55 AAV isn't cheap if he disappointed with us and if he succeeded he'd want 3-4 AAV.

All in all, that's a bunch of considerations for a guy with a lot of question marks. There will be cheaper options available this off-season that can reasonably be expected to fill the same role.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
People are never happy.

Foligno's play this season hasn't been good either, and there was definitely a gamble with him too. He's also had almost zero playoff success

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Foligno's play this season hasn't been good either, and there was definitely a gamble with him too. He's also had almost zero playoff success

He's won a round, two years in a row... which is more than our guys can say, more than Hall can say, or Bennett. What Foligno brings to the table, was more predictable though. We didn't need him to put up points.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He's won a round, two years in a row... which is more than our guys can say, more than Hall can say, or Bennett. What Foligno brings to the table, was more predictable though. We didn't need him to put up points.
The play in series doesn't officially count as a series win, and he's 33 years old. If our core players have 1 series win a decade from now, I doubt we will be looking at them as elite playoff performers. It's also not just his offensive totals that were down with Columbus this year, but his overall game as well. Picking him over Hall was definitely a pretty big gamble

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The play in series doesn't officially count as a series win, and he's 33 years old. If our core players have 1 series win a decade from now, I doubt we will be looking at them as elite playoff performers. It's also not just his offensive totals that were down with Columbus this year, but his overall game as well. Picking him over Hall was definitely a pretty big gamble

You've turned around my statement of a guy with "some playoff success", who plays a "playoff style" into an argument about Elite Playoff performers????

A captain, a leader, with some playoff success, who can play the playoff game.

It appears that this has become a spin, and you are normally a better poster than that.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
You've turned around my statement of a guy with "some playoff success", who plays a "playoff style" into an argument about Elite Playoff performers????

It appears that this has become a spin, and you are normally a better poster than that.
It was hyperbole, since everyone would obviously be looking at them as massive playoff failures and rightly so. If you think 9 postseason goals and 1 series win over a 15 year career is any sort of success story then fine, but I don't agree

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
People are never happy.

Foligno was the safest bet out there. I can’t imagine anyone (other than that guy who goes on about Dubas listening to the fans :laugh:) not being happy with that pickup.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Folignos main value is defensive play, hes an elite defensive forward. I think he has decent offensive skill and will chip in but generally hes not a great possession player. Not confident he will stay on that top line but i think he will be a great contributor come playoffs whether it be on the 3rd line or top 6.

Hall definitely would have been a better add though considering the price but not sure that worked out cap wise.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think he's still signed in the KHL next year

Yes, and I don't think he translates to the NHL. He's not a great defensive player and he is really small. Also hasn't had much KHL success before this year.

If he has another top year next year, I can see the Leafs being interested. Until then, Konstantin Okulov from his opponents (who likely would have won that award had his team won) should be our main target.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad