Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk XLIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I was thinking for FLA's run in the playoffs this season. Stralman was scratched and then waived just before Ekblad's injury. They need someone for their 1st pairing for the playoffs this season.

I wouldn't be shocked if Dumba went to Florida, but I would be shocked if Lundell was part of the return.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Stralman is dead

Gudas is a bottom depth paring dman

Nutivaara is a 7th round pick has been a disappointment but is also a LHD

Weager is a 7th? Round pick? Showing some development.

This is wildly underselling Weeger.....

fgobuzz

Dec 10, 2010
Kentucky
I have blinders on when it comes to Lyndell. He was who I wanted in the past draft, not thinking that Rossi would still be available. Now I want them both! Ha! Greed is good!

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Guerin is not just trying to obtain a center. He is also trying to not lose 2 defensemen (Dumba and Soucy) from his squad's core competitive strength, and also re-signing the three most promising young players on this team, Kaprizov, Fiala, and JEE.

I would like a Monahan trade, but I understand why Guerin is comfortable being a hard negotiator, threatening to let Seattle take just one of Dumba or Soucy, and then going into next year with JEE, Rossi, and Hartman as top-9 centers as he develops Khovanov in Iowa to eventually replace Hartman.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Guerin is not just trying to obtain a center. He is also trying to not lose 2 defensemen (Dumba and Soucy) from his squad's core competitive strength, and also re-signing the three most promising young players on this team, Kaprizov, Fiala, and JEE.

I would like a Monahan trade, but I understand why Guerin is comfortable being a hard negotiator, threatening to let Seattle take just one of Dumba or Soucy, and then going into next year with JEE, Rossi, and Hartman as top-9 centers as he develops Khovanov in Iowa to eventually replace Hartman.
The second paragraph is what I don't get: how does going into next year with Eriksson-Ek, Rossi and Hartman as your top 3 centers square with worrying about your 4th defenseman? There's no way Guerin can go into next year with those centers and think it's anything more than a "growth" year, so why not just roll the dice on one/both of the NHL ready RD prospects you have waiting?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Supposedly PIT is looking for a 3C. Maybe they'd like Bonito back for another run

If all he's going to do here is play LW for the rest of the season, I see no reason to keep him. Let him play center elsewhere, get Minnesota a pick, and call up Boldy.

JP Flow

May 1, 2019
Out East
A lot of if’s here, but ... If Strome and Monahan are both available this summer as it seems they could/should be, and Eichel does ask to get out of Buffalo, and Barkov rejects Florida’s overtures on an extension, does a potential supply of top-six centers make for a buyer’s market?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Stralman is dead

Gudas is a bottom depth paring dman

Nutivaara is a 7th round pick has been a disappointment but is also a LHD

Weager is a 7th? Round pick? Showing some development.
Gudas has been playing well for them, relative to his cap hit . Stralman might be dead, but they have to keep paying him. Weegar is playing very well. Bottom line is that they can't afford Dumba's 6M, unless they offload some of those other players. I don't see it happening by next Tuesday, and they would be crazy to trade Lundell. After Barkov, they are not deep at C.

Would love for it to happen. Big Lundell fan.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Gudas has been playing well for them, relative to his cap hit . Stralman might be dead, but they have to keep paying him. Weegar is playing very well. Bottom line is that they can't afford Dumba's 6M, unless they offload some of those other players. I don't see it happening by next Tuesday, and they would be crazy to trade Lundell. After Barkov, they are not deep at C.

Would love for it to happen. Big Lundell fan.

Ekblad is done for the season, the Panthers currently have 11M in cap space, they can easily fit Dumba for the rest of the season, and move whoever needs to be moved in the summer. They don't need to do anything by Tuesday to make room.

Reactions: fgobuzz

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He has the same pros and cons as he’s always had, but I’d still consider Danault a viable option, probably in my top 5ish.

I'm still waiting for that list of centers that would have been easy for Guerin to trade for in his two seasons here. So far we've got Trochek, which we know he was in on, and still couldn't get him for unknown reasons. We've also got PLD, who we know he was in on, and still couldn't get him because we didn't have the assets to compete with other offers.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
He has the same pros and cons as he’s always had, but I’d still consider Danault a viable option, probably in my top 5ish.
It comes down to the contract for me 4 years at 5 million is the most id give him. We’re an ideal for for him, so maybe he’s intruiged. I really like the player. You don’t need a ppg center man if Fiala/Kaprizov are what they’ve been, 50 point, selke caliber player is a welcome addition while we continue to build in my book.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm still waiting for that list of centers that would have been easy for Guerin to trade for in his two seasons here. So far we've got Trochek, which we know he was in on, and still couldn't get him for unknown reasons. We've also got PLD, who we know he was in on, and still couldn't get him because we didn't have the assets to compete with other offers.

Had a migraine tonight. Barely watched the game, but I’ll get you the list tomorrow. And again, it won’t just limited to Guerin’s tenure, as that isn’t what I was talking about.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It comes down to the contract for me 4 years at 5 million is the most id give him. We’re an ideal for for him, so maybe he’s intruiged. I really like the player. You don’t need a ppg center man if Fiala/Kaprizov are what they’ve been, 50 point, selke caliber player is a welcome addition while we continue to build in my book.

I have a bit of a higher tolerance, contract-wise.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Had a migraine tonight. Barely watched the game, but I’ll get you the list tomorrow. And again, it won’t just limited to Guerin’s tenure, as that isn’t what I was talking about.

I still think if your plan is to just show me a list of centers that have been traded in the past several years, it's not going to do enough to prove your point that top 6 centers are easy to trade for. It doesn't take into account any of the other factors I mentioned earlier.

And if you're at any point going to try to use the list to claim Guerin should have done something by now, you really can't go beyond his time here. He can't do anything about O'Reilly being traded when he was AGM in Pittsburgh.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I still think if your plan is to just show me a list of centers that have been traded in the past several years, it's not going to do enough to prove your point that top 6 centers are easy to trade for. It doesn't take into account any of the other factors I mentioned earlier.

And if you're at any point going to try to use the list to claim Guerin should have done something by now, you really can't go beyond his time here. He can't do anything about O'Reilly being traded when he was AGM in Pittsburgh.

No, but he can go ahead and find the next O’Reilly, and the sooner the better.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
No, but he can go ahead and find the next O’Reilly, and the sooner the better.

Finding the next O'Reilly requires the next O'Reilly to become available. That's kind of my entire point. He can't find something that isn't there, and finding the next O'Reilly may take another two years or so.

So when people talk about urgency in making these kind of moves, why?

You say, Guerin should have found a top 6 center by now, they're easy to trade for, okay, then only show me the centers that have been traded during his time here, and show me that Guerin didn't at least try.
Then you say, well, they're still easy to find, but if he hasn't found one by now, he needs to find the next O'Reilly type deal this summer. Okay, but what if that deal isn't there?

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Finding the next O'Reilly requires the next O'Reilly to become available. That's kind of my entire point. He can't find something that isn't there, and finding the next O'Reilly may take another two years or so.

So when people talk about urgency in making these kind of moves, why?

Because we’ve seen other teams do it enough to highly suspect that it’s possible.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Because we’ve seen other teams do it enough to highly suspect that it’s possible.
Yeah, it is possible, certainly. Doesn't mean it's easy. How many other teams were in on Trochek? How many other teams were in on PLD? It's a well known fact that Guerin was in on both, and he, along with probably several other GM's, couldn't get either. You might try to make the case that we could have built an equivalent package for Trochek, but do we know what that package looked like in Florida's GM's mind at the time? Do we know what he was asking Guerin for?

You don't have to provide the list if the point you're trying to make is that it's possible, or it happens. If you're going to hang on to the idea that it's easy to do, that's what you're going to have to work to convince me of, if you feel like you want to.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
As far as I can tell, here's the list of centers that have moved since the 2018-19 season. I've tried to only include guys that were considered NHLers at the time of the trade, so there are some bad players here but hopefully no obvious AHL tweeners.

I've bolded some of the more notable names (at least in terms of expectations), but there are others that ended up being good acquisitions as well (like Stephenson).

Zajac (UFA) - 3/21
Staal (UFA) - 3/21
Dubois (1 yr) - 1/21
Stepan (UFA) - 12/20
Stastny (UFA) - 10/20
Andersson (RFA) - 10/20
Bonino (1 yr) - 10/20
Domi (RFA) - 10/20
Staal (1 yr) - 9/20
----COVID----
Grant (UFA) - 2/20
Trocheck (2 yr) - 2/20
Pageau (UFA) - 2/20

Namestnikov (UFA) - 2/20
Eakin (UFA) - 2/20
Stephenson (RFA) - 12/19
Namestnikov (UFA) - 10/19
Anisimov (1 yr) - 7/19
Kadri (3 yr) - 7/19
Kerfoot (RFA) 7/19
Shaw (3 yr) - 6/19
Haula (1 yr) - 6/19
Soderberg (1 yr) - 6/19
Miller (4 yr) - 6/19
Hayes (UFA) - 3/19

Brassard (UFA) - 2/19
Hendricks (UFA) - 2/19
Weal (UFA) - 2/19
Hayes (UFA) - 2/19
Duchene (UFA) - 2/19
Coyle (1 yr) - 2/19

Spooner (1 yr) - 2/19
Brassard (UFA) - 2/19
Bjugstad (2 yr) - 2/19
Rask (3 yr) - 2/19
Grant (UFA) - 2/19
D Strome (1 yr) - 11/18
Schmaltz (RFA) - 11/18
R Strome (1 yr) - 11/18

Spooner (1 yr) - 11/18
O'Reilly (5 yr) - 7/18
Lindholm (RFA) - 6/18
Domi (RFA) - 6/18

Unsurprisingly it's mostly older rental guys and bottom-6'ers that are moved, but more notable centers do become available with some regularity. Covid's probably also a factor worth considering, because it hasn't been nice to the trade market.

So it's possible that there are no centers worth pursuing or that prices are too high, and that Guerin's most viable option is to draft/develop the center he needs. If that's the case his handling of his defensemen (which is directly related) makes almost no sense.

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yeah, it is possible, certainly. Doesn't mean it's easy. How many other teams were in on Trochek? How many other teams were in on PLD? It's a well known fact that Guerin was in on both, and he, along with probably several other GM's, couldn't get either. You might try to make the case that we could have built an equivalent package for Trochek, but do we know what that package looked like in Florida's GM's mind at the time? Do we know what he was asking Guerin for?

You don't have to provide the list if the point you're trying to make is that it's possible, or it happens. If you're going to hang on to the idea that it's easy to do, that's what you're going to have to work to convince me of, if you feel like you want to.

Bazeek already did it, but I'll toss out what I was thinking of as well:

Lindholm
Kadri
Schmaltz
Suzuki
Johansen
Duchene
D. Strome
R. Strome
Trocheck
Zibanejad
PLD
ROR
Schenn

Pretty sure all moved in the last 5 years. Chances are, similar type players will be moved over the next five.

And a fun fact: every team in our normal division has traded for a top 6 center, except for 1, since the lockout. Some did it twice. We are the 1.

Reactions: Bazeek

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Bazeek already did it, but I'll toss out what I was thinking of as well:

Lindholm
Kadri
Schmaltz
Suzuki
Johansen
Duchene
D. Strome
R. Strome
Trocheck
Zibanejad
PLD
ROR
Schenn

Pretty sure all moved in the last 5 years. Chances are, similar type players will be moved over the next five.

And a fun fact: every team in our normal division has traded for a top 6 center, except for 1, since the lockout. Some did it twice. We are the 1.

we traded for hanzal, which was a top 6 c when he left AZ. also demitra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->