Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk XLIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Care to elaborate?

As far as I Can see the actual crop available is not that good and anyone interesting is on their expiring likely soon to be gaining their career contract.

Do we really have the money and flexibility for someone like that right now? Imo no.

You don't make trades for the sake of them. Is daunault, Monahan etc gonna push us over the top of Colorado? Likely not.
If Guerin and company feel they have something with Rossi, Khovanov, Khusnutdinov, then it's justifiable that they're out of the Eichel, Barkov tier of franchise changing trades. They still need to do something about the now though. It's very possible that two of those names above can become top 6 centers. It's also possible that even if it happens, it could be 3-4 years away. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me to sit and hope something happens while you watch your defense go from great to average, and your franchise player close in on 30 years old.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
So Anthony Stewart is saying Guerin is hot after Taylor Hall. Not buying that

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Step 1 is: better than Rask

However many steps above that you want to go depends on a number of things, some outside our control

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
No. He's been amazing wow, why say this
Imagine people saying to trade him before Kaprizov came.. many of the same things were said about Fiala being a game changer we have never had. The notion to trade someone with his skill set is ridiculous. The guy has played with pylons all year and is still busting his rear end.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If Guerin and company feel they have something with Rossi, Khovanov, Khusnutdinov, then it's justifiable that they're out of the Eichel, Barkov tier of franchise changing trades. They still need to do something about the now though. It's very possible that two of those names above can become top 6 centers. It's also possible that even if it happens, it could be 3-4 years away. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me to sit and hope something happens while you watch your defense go from great to average, and your franchise player close in on 30 years old.

Tampa got Stamkos and Hedman and still didn't win the Cup until both of them were 29+. I promise you there is a middle ground between now and waiting until Kaprizov is 30. He's only almost 24.

Reactions: physicaIgraffiti

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Tampa got Stamkos and Hedman and still didn't win the Cup until both of them were 29+. I promise you there is a middle ground between now and waiting until Kaprizov is 30. He's only almost 24.
You're not really suggesting that the Lightning didn't start trying to win until last year? Right?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You're not really suggesting that the Lightning didn't start trying to win until last year? Right?

That's not even remotely what I said let alone what I suggested.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
That's not even remotely what I said let alone what I suggested.
But it's the only way what you said would have any relevance to the conversation.

How does pointing out that it's really difficult to win a Stanley Cup, have anything to do with explaining why it would make sense for the Wild to nothing to try and improve their center situation for next season?

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
But it's the only way what you said would have any relevance to the conversation.

How does pointing out that it's really difficult to win a Stanley Cup, have anything to do with explaining why it would make sense for the Wild to nothing to try and improve their center situation for next season?
Either way you do it after expansion because what you are suggesting wouldn't be including a dumba for example leaving so unless it's for the upper tier of 26 or younger centers looks like we are staying put.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Kaprizov closing in on 30 is not the death sentence you think it is. He's only 24. If a good, sensible deal to vastly improve the center spot isn't available this summer, it's going to be okay. Forcing a bad move is always worse than waiting for a good one. They don't need to do something about the now if there's nothing that makes sense both now and in the future.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
What about forcing a good move?
We should've done that last trade deadline with Trocheck. Seems we're waiting our way right past some good moves already.

I'm not saying there is an equivalent available right now, but you can't wait it out forever either. We may be forced to wait it out longer if there's no good move to be had though.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What about forcing a good move?

1) If the move is good, do it
2) If the move is bad, don't do it

I'm not arguing against trying to improve the roster. I'm arguing against the idea that we need to do something just to avoid this situation again. That implies (and certain people have outright said) that making a bad move is better than not making any moves.

We should've done that last trade deadline with Trocheck. Seems we're waiting our way right past some good moves already.

I'm not saying there is an equivalent available right now, but you can't wait it out forever either. We may be forced to wait it out longer if there's no good move to be had though.

This is another side of the die that I'm also not advocating for

Reactions: TaLoN

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
1) If the move is good, do it
2) If the move is bad, don't do it

I'm not arguing against trying to improve the roster. I'm arguing against the idea that we need to do something just to avoid this situation again. That implies (and certain people have outright said) that making a bad move is better than not making any moves.

This is another side of the die that I'm also not advocating for

I don’t think anybody is advocating for this.

Reactions: HotDish

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Either way you do it after expansion because what you are suggesting wouldn't be including a dumba for example leaving so unless it's for the upper tier of 26 or younger centers looks like we are staying put.
I think it depends on who is available, and when.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don’t think anybody is advocating for this.

Sure, you all think there's going to be some no brainer deal for a top young center this summer, or you think Guerin can just strong arm a team into taking what he wants to give for a player we need, and you think of all 25+ teams that could use a young top 6 center, we're going to be the front runners in a fair deal for that player. Realistically, that may not happen, and one person has already said that nothing happening is the only scenario that's completely unacceptable.

But if you're saying you agree with my last post, then cool, we're on the same page and there's nothing left to discuss. I'm simply talking to those who would say doing nothing is the least acceptable option.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Going into next season with Rask/Ek/Sturm/Johnson and maybe Hartman as your centers is not acceptable. It's really that simple. Guerin tried the bargain bin approach this year and failed miserably. If he does nothing to address it this offseason, then he better not get another try.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Sure, you all think there's going to be some no brainer deal for a top young center this summer, or you think Guerin can just strong arm a team into taking what he wants to give for a player we need, and you think of all 25+ teams that could use a young top 6 center, we're going to be the front runners in a fair deal for that player. Realistically, that may not happen, and one person has already said that nothing happening is the only scenario that's completely unacceptable.

But if you're saying you agree with my last post, then cool, we're on the same page and there's nothing left to discuss. I'm simply talking to those who would say doing nothing is the least acceptable option.

This sounds like a conversation we’re going to continue to have, maybe for years, until a no brainer deal falls into our laps.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This sounds like a conversation we’re going to continue to have, maybe for years, until a no brainer deal falls into our laps.

Whether or not there's a deal to be had? Sure. Because none of us know what's actually being discussed and who might legitimately be available unless the rumor comes out.
Whether not making a move is the least acceptable option or not? No, it sounds like you agree with me there.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Going into next season with Rask/Ek/Sturm/Johnson and maybe Hartman as your centers is not acceptable. It's really that simple. Guerin tried the bargain bin approach this year and failed miserably. If he does nothing to address it this offseason, then he better not get another try.
Guerin was likely going put Rossi on the Wild before he got COVID and complications. He is better than Rask Day 1.

Guerin will likely do the same next year unless Rossi needs time in Iowa. Khovanov will also likely be in Iowa, ready for a call up.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
what is up with Hockey Twitter, & them being mad, angry that wild wouldn't trade kaprizov for eichel.

Also why in the world does hockey Twitter seem to think they know more , or can do a NHL GM's job

Been seeing crazy tweets since Sunday about how it's crazy wild won't trade kaprizov for eichel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad