Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk XLIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Injury history doesn’t scare you?

It does, but that's where the "buying low" comes in. If it can be done, I think it'd be worth the risk. If it had to expand to include something like Dumba for whatever reason, I'd be a lot more hesitant/unwilling.

I'd rather take a shot at it, even if it fails, than trot Rask/Bjugstad/Bonino out there again.

And again, it's something to kick around after a handful of other things don't come to fruition first.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
It does, but that's where the "buying low" comes in. If it can be done, I think it'd be worth the risk. If it had to expand to include something like Dumba for whatever reason, I'd be a lot more hesitant/unwilling.

I'd rather take a shot at it, even if it fails, than trot Rask/Bjugstad/Bonino out there again.

And again, it's something to kick around after a handful of other things don't come to fruition first.
Understood as plan j. I like the idea was just curious. At this moment I really am not gonna fear a young prospect who has potential at our biggest need.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
As a ~Plan J, I'd look into buying low on Nolan Patrick in the near future. Might be a little pressure on Chuck to right his ship in a hurry.
I suggested that in the past on here; flyers fans said they’d prob like to keep him. Maybe things have changed since their collapse though.

Reactions: ctmagic

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Patrick will be 23 yo RFA starting next season, has a terrible injury history, terrible production, and hasn't been playing Center in the NHL. The only thing he has going for him was that he was drafted highly. He would have to be cheap as hell for us to have any interest. I wouldn't pay Beckman, or ROR....maybe Khovanov, but I'd just as soon gamble on him.

Laughton...he'd be an ok 3C. He will be a UFA. How much do you want to pay for a guy like that, and how much do you want to re-sign for? He'd be an improvement over Bonino, Rask, Bjugstad, for sure. Do you want to pay him open market price? 3-4M for 3-4 years? I wouldn't want to pay a 1st for him as a rental. Maybe a 3rd and Firstov?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Patrick will be 23 yo RFA starting next season, has a terrible injury history, terrible production, and hasn't been playing Center in the NHL. The only thing he has going for him was that he was drafted highly. He would have to be cheap as hell for us to have any interest. I wouldn't pay Beckman, or ROR....maybe Khovanov, but I'd just as soon gamble on him.

23 seems like the right age for us.
Migraines aren’t really injuries.
Terrible production this year ( hence the “buying low).
He has definitely been playing center in the NHL.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
My mistake, I was looking at the wrong stats for FO's. I thought he had injuries besides Migraines? Not that Migraines bad enough to have him miss games aren't serious in themselves.

I think PHI would be looking more to move a big salary like JVR or Voracek, and keep low $$ guys like Patrick. Maybe something like Dumba+ Rask for Voracek+ Patrick. I don't know if that would get them, or us, excited, but Dumba is probably the best value out of all those players.

Last edited:

P10p

May 15, 2012

Laughton...he'd be an ok 3C. He will be a UFA. How much do you want to pay for a guy like that, and how much do you want to re-sign for? He'd be an improvement over Bonino, Rask, Bjugstad, for sure. Do you want to pay him open market price? 3-4M for 3-4 years? I wouldn't want to pay a 1st for him as a rental. Maybe a 3rd and Firstov?

Hes is also 22 not 23 jeesh.

Do you check easily available stats before posting or do you just go with what sounds right in your head lol

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Hes is also 22 not 23 jeesh.

Do you check easily available stats before posting or do you just go with what sounds right in your head lol
Why don't you read what I wrote before you criticize me?

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
I mean I'm fine staying put and betting on our group of Ek, Rossi, Khovanov, Khusnusdinov and potentially 2021 1st rounder.

Reactions: fgobuzz

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I mean I'm fine staying put and betting on our group of Ek, Rossi, Khovanov, Khusnusdinov and potentially 2021 1st rounder.
Mostly this, but I would like him to go out and get a middle six C in trade(Monahan?) or FA(Danault?) for next season. Bjugstad and Bonino will be gone, and hopefully Rask bought out. Sturm and Hartman can be 4C's. JEE, and maybe Rossi will be the other middle six C's, until someone is able to step up and become a #1.

Trying to force a trade right now for a C if it isn't there will likely be something that we will regret in years to come.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
If your goal is to finish 2nd to Colorado and take your chances in the playoffs then fine but if you want to swing for the fences and try to maximize success while Kaprizov is in his prime then they are going to have to be more aggressive than sitting back and waiting to see what this young center group looks like in 3-4 years. I'm starting to like the idea of taking a chance on a guy like Monahan.

Reactions: TwiztedHeat

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
If your goal is to finish 2nd to Colorado and take your chances in the playoffs then fine but if you want to swing for the fences and try to maximize success while Kaprizov is in his prime then they are going to have to be more aggressive than sitting back and waiting to see what this young center group looks like in 3-4 years. I'm starting to like the idea of taking a chance on a guy like Monahan.
Kaprizovs prime is certainly longer than 2 or so years. He's got a good 8 to 10 years left barring anything serious.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
This is the one option that is completely unacceptable.
Care to elaborate?

As far as I Can see the actual crop available is not that good and anyone interesting is on their expiring likely soon to be gaining their career contract.

Do we really have the money and flexibility for someone like that right now? Imo no.

You don't make trades for the sake of them. Is daunault, Monahan etc gonna push us over the top of Colorado? Likely not.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I guess I'm kind of in the boat that 2pair is in. I feel like we finally know what we have in Ek (and it's better than many on this board thought), but we really have no idea how Rossi is going to translate in the NHL (I'm as hopeful as everyone else that he's exactly who we think he is when he was drafted, but we just won't know for a while). Khovanov and 'nutz are even bigger question marks in my eyes ... are they ever going to be in the big Wild sweater? Time will tell. But in the meantime, if we truly think we want to make a run in the next couple years, our C situation just has to be addressed ... hopefully this offseason and not TDL.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Colorado is likely going to dominate the division until the 23-24 season when MacK is due for his extension. They also have a ton of UFA contracts between now and then. I’m not completely sold that they’re going to be able to keep all their pieces around long-term and who knows what that does to their chemistry.

Their team looks like they’re built great right now, but things can change. I do think we need to lock up Kap long term, but I don’t think we’re in a spot where we need to start an “arms race” where we’re competing with Colorado over the next 3 seasons. We have a strong prospect pool of guys that could accelerate the plan if they come into the league strong, but we also have the depth that can give us a wide window to compete. I just hope BG doesn’t repeat what Fletcher did and sells picks at the TDL every year to get knocked out by a dynasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad