Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk XLIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Saying that we wouldn't need Danault because we have Sturm is ridiculous on its own, but why not add a good player to 2 other good players? Especially since there is nothing above those 2 players preventing it.
Cause the contract could cause cap issues and potentially cripple us from something better down the line or cripple us a different way I think is the only real logical rebuttle.

Reactions: 57special

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Saying that we wouldn't need Danault because we have Sturm is ridiculous on its own, but why not add a good player to 2 other good players? Especially since there is nothing above those 2 players preventing it.
Except that's not what I said. You are mischaracterizing what I said by leaving out JEE's name, in order to try and make my point sound ridiculous. If you want to exchange ideas about hockey, rather than try to "win" some invented narrative, let me know. Otherwise, what's the point?

Cause the contract could cause cap issues and potentially cripple us from something better down the line or cripple us a different way I think is the only real logical rebuttle.
Exactly. Danault will not be "free". If he costs Zuccarello money, he will be a cap disaster for the team, limiting what we can do in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Exactly. Danault will not be "free". If he costs Zuccarello money, he will be a cap disaster for the team, limiting what we can do in the future.
Just to clarify, Danault at $5M per would be a "cap disaster", but Eriksson Ek at $4.75M over 8 years is something that the Wild should be all over?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Except that's not what I said. You are mischaracterizing what I said by leaving out JEE's name, in order to try and make my point sound ridiculous. If you want to exchange ideas about hockey, rather than try to "win" some invented narrative, let me know. Otherwise, what's the point?

That’s not the silver bullet you think it is.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Just to clarify, Danault at $5M per would be a "cap disaster", but Eriksson Ek at $4.75M over 8 years is something that the Wild should be all over?
I would hope nobody is giving EK 8 years but one of those two is 4 years younger than the other.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't think we can or should throw a huge contract at Danault, but something around $5m for 4-5 years shouldn't cripple us. Assuming that Dumba is gone this summer it shouldn't hurt us next year and beyond that he'd effectively take up Rask's spot in the cap structure, right?

The big question right now is whether or not Rossi's a center in the NHL and, if so, what caliber of center he is. In terms of our own picks he's the best shot we've had since Granlund, so it's worth doing everything we can to develop him into that role. That means letting him push his way up the depth-chart (instead of dropping him on top of it) and giving him some room to fail as he does so. I think insulating him with centers like Danault and Eriksson-Ek would go a long way toward that goal: they're both good 5v5 players that can play hard match-ups, but there would be plenty of room for Rossi to "push" himself onto scoring lines and the powerplay.

Not that it should be Plan A. If there's a homerun trade to make for the 1C of our dreams I'm pretty sure Guerin will be all over it, but if that's not on the table (and it hasn't been for years now) Danault would be a solid Plan B. Our centers would still be kind of suspect if Rossi has to spend most of the year in the AHL, but at least with Danault-Hartman-Ek it wouldn't feel like strong play from the wingers is wasted every other shift.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think you can win a Cup with Danault and JEE as your top 2 Cs. You have to have great wingers and dmen but we have that. Those are 2 of the very best at 5v5.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think you still need another center to keep JEE on the 3rd line.
Yeah I guess it is assumed that we get a 3rd C with more of an offensive game to compliment them. Hoping it is Rossi obviously but I am not counting on him being NHL ready after everything he has been through.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would hope nobody is giving EK 8 years but one of those two is 4 years younger than the other.
Why not, if the tradeoff is that it is at a reasonable AAV? I have zero questions about his character, and we would be buying him at his prime years. Because of his size and conditioning, I think he will be effective well into his early 30's, which is when an 8 year contract would end.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Kaprizov pretty much has no comparables, so predicting his contract is a shot on the dark. I believe Russo said that he thinks Guerin would go in the 8s on an 8 year deal, so let's just assume the max and say he gets 8.5M.

Lazy comparison: Tarasenko

The year before he signed his 8 year x $7.5M (10.5% of the cap) deal, he had: 37g + 36a = 73p in 77 games (39+38=77 per 82). Though, he did have NHL games before that year.

Kaprizov as of now: 21g + 19a = 40p in 46 games (37+34=71 per 82)

10.5% of the $81.5M = ~$8.6M. Knock it down a little with the slightly less production, and we're in the $8 to $8.5M range, as expected.

Reactions: Pinchy11

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Lazy comparison: Tarasenko

The year before he signed his 8 year x $7.5M (10.5% of the cap) deal, he had: 37g + 36a = 73p in 77 games (39+38=77 per 82). Though, he did have NHL games before that year.

Kaprizov as of now: 21g + 19a = 40p in 46 games (37+34=71 per 82)

10.5% of the $81.5M = ~$8.6M. Knock it down a little with the slightly less production, and we're in the $8 to $8.5M range, as expected.
Yeah, that range seems right. I’ll be interested to see if he wants to bet on himself being the next Panarin

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I like Vilardi and Kupari as decent targets. Both are younger RHC with upside who won’t break the bank to acquire. Kupari seems like an especially good fit, I like his overall game quite a bit.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Tinfoil hat: perhaps Guerin went to sign Hartman for the "team" deal first to set the tone for the rest.

We don't want to screw ya, but we want to build a team that wins every year. Saving a mill or so here and there on these new contracts adds up.

Reactions: 57special

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Tinfoil hat: perhaps Guerin went to sign Hartman for the "team" deal first to set the tone for the rest.

We don't want to screw ya, but we want to build a team that wins every year. Saving a mill or so here and there on these new contracts adds up.
Hopefully. In Boston the culture is that you can try and hit a homerun, but it won’t be with the Bruins.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

This theory really makes the captain look bad.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
If you can get JEE signed longterm for about 4.75M, and Danault for 4-5 years for the same then you do it, and pray that Rossi turns out. At least you don't have to give up assets for a UFA. I think MTL will be willing to spend at least that. Danault is one of the few Quebecois on the team, and MTL is extremely conscious of that.

In other words, unless we overpay(i.e. Zuccarello+ money), don't expect Danult to come here. Playing Kap would be nice, but this will be the contract where he makes his money, not a later one.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
So just thinking through the hypothetical, because it's not unrealistic...

Plan A: trade for a top-6 center - doesn't happen because there isn't an appealing target
Plan B: sign a free agent - doesn't happen because they're too expensive
Plan C: ????
Plan D: Assume Rossi can start as a top-6 center in the NHL

I know some are fine with Plan D, but it'd shock me if the Wild brass are after (probably) getting bitten by that plan once already. So what would Plan C be here?

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
So just thinking through the hypothetical, because it's not unrealistic...

Plan A: trade for a top-6 center - doesn't happen because there isn't an appealing target
Plan B: sign a free agent - doesn't happen because they're too expensive
Plan C: ????
Plan D: Assume Rossi can start as a top-6 center in the NHL

I know some are fine with Plan D, but it'd shock me if the Wild brass are after (probably) getting bitten by that plan once already. So what would Plan C be here?
Go into next season and see what we have with our team before making a play for a center, we will have at least 3 and likely 4 rookies on the team next year. Depending on how the team looks out of the gate, you can try for a mid season trade, which seems to be when most of the center trades actually happen.

Not my preferred option but timing wise it almost makes more sense than doing something in the off-season if you aren’t as certain on how the prospects will perform.

Mookie Blaylock

The in between is mine
Apr 16, 2014
Porch
Side deal with Seattle. Agree to leave Dumba unprotected, have them grab a center for us and trade them a prospect or picks for him.

No idea who or what centers will be available in the expansion draft and of course Seattle needs them as well.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
There is a thread on Strome on one of the other forums here. I'm wondering about someone like that for 3 years at reasonable cost (4.5 - 5M). Here's the idea.....You buyout Rask, and thus save 2.6M in the next 2 years.
Then, for centers, you have....Strome, EE, Hartman/Sturm, and Rossi.
This allows Rossi to move more slowly into the #1 role, if he is able for that, at low cost.

Assuming you protect 7-3-1, and Seattle chooses Dumba, then there is lots of cap room.

Defense: Resign Cole at about 2M. Addison, Menell at about 850K. Soucy at 2.75M, plus Suter, Spurgeon, Brodin, =27.6M for the Defense
Forwards: Kap at 8M, Strome at 5M, Zucc at 6M, EE at 4.5, Greenway at 2.1, Foligno at 3.1, Fiala at 6M, Boldy at 850K, Parise at 7.5M, Rossi at 900K, Hartman at 1.7M, Sturm at 750K = 46.5M

Goalies: 4.4M

This is about a 78M roster, with 12 F and 7D and 2G signed. Lots of room for an extra forward and goalie.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
This theory really makes the captain look bad.
Doesn't make any sense considering he was signed under completely different circumstances and time frame. IE before Corona virus outbreak and can be argued underpaid up until that deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->