Proposal: Trade: Alex Kerfoot for Luke Glendening or David Kampf

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
They are a very old team that finally had a playoff run after years of not getting it done. Leafs were 3rd youngest out of 24 teams.
The Stars were given time to slowly improve without their fanbase screaming for them to trade early 20;s elite talent. And Seguin and Benn are worse contracts than any players on the Leafs. I'm not sure Stars will have another run in them due to their ages.
And now we are off topic anyways about how Kerfoot isn't good enough to be 3C on a contender.

Yeah I hear you but to use the stars and Dickson is to invite this conversation...yeah they’re old but I think if they buy in they are a damn tough team to play against regardless of age.

Personally I’ll take Kerfoot over Dickson even if the price tag is maybe a million too much for my tastes

It takes players about a year to adjust to the Toronto market if we are looking through the past, I expect we will see a much better Kerfoot this year and hopefully he doesn’t break his face again this year which would make a huge difference as well

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Haula or Soderberg at 1mil would be fine replacements if we can get value for Kerfoot. If we're dumping him for a 5th with salary coming back, what's the point? His value will be higher in a year that he doesn't play half of with a full face shield and can eat solid foods.
It's an eye test response, and it's not specifically about cup winners with bad 3C's. I do see your point. I'm also not down on Kerfoot because he was the guy in the Kadri trade.

If you factor in Johnsson playing game 5 vs. CBJ, TOR had $10.1 million tied up on their 3rd line. With all that invested in the 3rd line they didn't make a difference (yes I know our big 4 didn't score), so I don't really know the answer.
Answer sell skill for size. Start small risks first.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
Yeah I hear you but to use the stars and Dickson is to invite this conversation...yeah they’re old but I think if they buy in they are a damn tough team to play against regardless of age.

Personally I’ll take Kerfoot over Dickson even if the price tag is maybe a million too much for my tastes

It takes players about a year to adjust to the Toronto market if we are looking through the past, I expect we will see a much better Kerfoot this year and hopefully he doesn’t break his face again this year which would make a huge difference as well

Because the quote was Kefoot isn't a 3rd line C on a contender... That's an excellent example. I provided others as well.
I just don't see how the Stars "Bought-in more". Let's use perspective here. THey are a veteran team that apparently just bought-in now after so many years.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
He didn't 'have to go'. Dubas chose to pay the tax and move him, there was no gun to his head, he's a big boy and makes his own decisions.

I think he did. He was finsihed and the coach at the time still thought he was a good second liner.
Marleau in the 2019 playoffs killed us.

The thing is, that contract should not have been signed.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think he did. He was finsihed and the coach at the time still thought he was a good second liner.
Marleau in the 2019 playoffs killed us.

The thing is, that contract should not have been signed.
No doubt it was a bad signing.
There were other options though, Dubas chose the one that cost a 1st.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
OR if you REALLY want Glendening you could probably get him at the deadline for a 4th and not trade Kerfoot.

If I'm trading Kerfoot for a rental make it the Savard deal that was apparently on the table at least then you shore up the top 4.

Rielly Savard

Muzzin Brodie

If you trade Kerfoot for a rental that's the rental because that is an incredible top 4

I think that's very fair. Alternatively though I think they could do a reverse like scenario. Trade now for a Glendening/Kamf, frees up cap space; then that cap space accumulates to much more at the trade deadline to make room to trade for a 'big piece'. In a Savard trade Columbus would really have to retain a small amount to make it work for the Leafs, puts them just barely over the cap; making that deal the Leafs D depth would be STACKED.

Reactions: Crosbyfan

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
GIF--Nope-No-way-Nah-no-nope-John-Krasinski-Jim-Halpert-The-Office-GIF.gif

Reactions: Volcanologist

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I think Kerfoot will play well next year. Can't blame Dubas for selling high. We need to get a good return and he is our 3c. Thornton hasn't taken that job yet.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
It's really passed the point of ridiculous.
We never really got to see him in that 3rd line C role consistently last year because of the injuries. He played wing a lot and was injured himself so pretty easy to see why he had an off-year on a new team.

Even in the playoffs he was with a guy with zero hockey sense with the puck in Kapanen, and an 18 year old rookie who the game got to fast for, making it difficult to get the puck in good areas. It was either game 3 or 4 he was wide open in the slot at least 3 times and was slamming his stick on the 3rd one yet Kapanen and Robertson elected to take bad angle shots instead.

More optimal linemates would help things a lot.

Reactions: al secord

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
We never really got to see him in that 3rd line C role consistently last year because of the injuries. He played wing a lot and was injured himself so pretty easy to see why he had an off-year on a new team.

Even in the playoffs he was with a guy with zero hockey sense with the puck in Kapanen, and an 18 year old rookie who the game got to fast for, making it difficult to get the puck in good areas. It was either game 3 or 4 he was wide open in the slot at least 3 times and was slamming his stick on the 3rd one yet Kapanen and Robertson elected to take bad angle shots instead.

Really he didn't score. or hit. or win faceoffs, and didn't show up on the PK until the playoffs. I think he can possibly bounce back but the shit season was on him, not the club. Every minute he is on the ice at C keeps Matthews and Tavares off so he can't take his foot off for a second. His contract was based on past performance and he hasn't been that guy. I give him a partial pass because of the face injury but he owes the club a huge year. That trade can still be a win but it starts with him ramping up his game.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Can't comment on Kampf, I've never noticed the player, and Glendenning is running on fumes. So specifically I doubt these are moves. I'll say one thing: a move of this sort is in the future for the team like it or not. Kerfoot is pretty much the last body that could be peeled off to satisfy cap constraints if they stay in the summer of 2021. The team has painted itself into the corner with a philosophy of top 2 lines doing all of the scoring while the bottom 2 are replacement level bodies who try to avoid getting scored against. The team is paying its top 2 center dearly @~$11M AAV. The team's 3rd and 4th centers have to be super cheap players from now on. The top 2 centers are paid like THEY ARE the team's offense so let them be that and only expect the 3rd and 4th lines to keep the opposition from scoring instead of providing scoring depth. Too bad Freddy Gauthier couldn't have turned into one of these type of cheap defensively competent bodies. Maybe Hallander, maybe Engvall.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax

Kaps no slouch for the third line, just didn't fit Keefe 's system it's too bad; that line looked great in their prelim game against Montreal, too bad it didn't continue.

Really he didn't score. or hit. or win faceoffs, and didn't show up on the PK until the playoffs. I think he can possibly bounce back but the shit season was on him, not the club. Every minute he is on the ice at C keeps Matthews and Tavares off so he can't take his foot off for a second. His contract was based on past performance and he hasn't been that guy. I give him a partial pass because of the face injury but he owes the club a huge year. That trade can still be a win but it starts with him ramping up his game.

Always thought Kerfoot was overpaid from the start, almost half the points he racked up in Colorado was on their monster powerplay. Would have much preferred JT Compher and his exact same contract to him.

Can't comment on Kampf, I've never noticed the player, and Glendenning is running on fumes. So specifically I doubt these are moves. I'll say one thing: a move of this sort is in the future for the team like it or not. Kerfoot is pretty much the last body that could be peeled off to satisfy cap constraints if they stay in the summer of 2021. The team has painted itself into the corner with a philosophy of top 2 lines doing all of the scoring while the bottom 2 are replacement level bodies who try to avoid getting scored against. The team is paying its top 2 center dearly @~$11M AAV. The team's 3rd and 4th centers have to be super cheap players from now on. The top 2 centers are paid like THEY ARE the team's offense so let them be that and only expect the 3rd and 4th lines to keep the opposition from scoring instead of providing scoring depth. Too bad Freddy Gauthier couldn't have turned into one of these type of cheap defensively competent bodies. Maybe Hallander, maybe Engvall.

Good take. Really hope Engvall can turn into that guy, he's big and he can absolutely fly.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Buy low, sell high not buy high sell low. The only reason to trade Kerfoot is to get cap space. We don't have depth at C. Thornton maybe 4 c. If Tavares or Mathews go down, lookout. Center is our weak spot actually.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
We get Vesey for 900k, Thornton for 700K, Simonds for 1.5, but let's trade Kerfoot to get Glendenning for 1.8 per! Sounds about right..

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Buy low, sell high not buy high sell low. The only reason to trade Kerfoot is to get cap space. We don't have depth at C. Thornton maybe 4 c. If Tavares or Mathews go down, lookout. Center is our weak spot actually.
No team in the league isn't in a tough spot when their top 2 centers go down, if you get hit hard enough at C you may have to acquire a C before the trade deadline, with the cap space acquired through LTIR. It's happened almost every year in Pittsburgh with Crosby and Malkin yet they survive and make the playoffs. Playing a stretch of Nylander - Thornton - Engvall - Spezza (Not even including Kerfoot/replacement, or Boyd, Brooks...) isn't gonna kill them...

Edit: not Tampa Bay, their C depth is stacked.

Last edited:

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
No team in the league isn't in a tough spot when their top 2 centers go down, if you get hit hard enough at C you may have to acquire a C before the trade deadline, with the cap space acquired through LTIR. It's happened almost every year in Pittsburgh with Crosby and Malkin yet they survive and make the playoffs. Playing a stretch of Nylander - Thornton - Engvall - Spezza (Not even including Kerfoot/replacement, or Boyd, Brooks...) isn't gonna kill them...

Edit: not Tampa Bay, their C depth is stacked.

No. I meant if either one of Mathews or Tavares go down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad