Tracking players with RFID tags

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
True.

But endurance sports have used them because the entire sport is based on output expended over time performing the same activity over and over again.

The NFL and the other big 4 sports are so much more complex as have so many variables to track given the nature of team sports.

It's really useless comparing the two given how simple one is (endurance sports) and how complex dynamic team sports are.

I'm a bit more surprised the NFL is behind soccer in using the chips though it may be a bit more useful in soccer than football.

"The ocean is never ending and you will sail off the edge of the world", said someone to Columbus. :) And we all know how that went. This world needs problem solvers not hands over shrugged shoulders.

Pioneer

Jul 7, 2014
B.C.
Yeah, I don't see it, they already have video reviews to find and correct poor positioning, why would RFID chips suddenly make coaches obsolete? It's not like the chip will force guys into position.
Soccer has gotten more offensive and scoring is up the last 5-10 years, and they've used RFID chips for a while, it's ofc not linked but it obviously didn't make it too easy coaching defense either.

For a guy named Pioneer you're surprisingly conservative:D

:laugh: may have to change my name now.

I feel it would be easier than video review to learn from (regardless of talent). I think you misunderstood me alittle, but I agree with what you said.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
"The ocean is never ending and you will sail off the edge of the world", said someone to Columbus. :) And we all know how that went. This world needs problem solvers not hands over shrugged shoulders.

Actually, the consensus was that the Earth was round at the time of Columbus. They all just disagreed on its size. The concept of a round Earth in Europe dates at least back to the ancient Greeks. Most believed that Columbus thought the globe was too small (and he did), and that he'd run out of supplies. Instead of Columbus running out of supplies, he hit a landmass that they didn't predict.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I'm trying to imagine a single benefit.

Seems to have no value as a coaching tool either. Ok so player A moved more quickly than player B. Well, maybe player B was in a better position and so didn't have to hustle.

The reason you don't see it is because you do not understand what it can do. Or I at least hope thats why.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
The reason you don't see it is because you do not understand what it can do. Or I at least hope thats why.

What can it do that would make watching hockey a more entertaining experience?

Football I can understand. So much standing around that the more stats and neon colored lines they can populate the screen with, the better.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Looks like this hasn't been mentioned here but Finnish company Kuru Digital Creations made a deal to North America(with Pro Hockey Vision LLC, Quantum Pro hockey) few weeks back. Company provides RFID chips and advanced goalie tracking etc.

Only icetime and shift lengths were track using that last season but there could be more in the future.

Not a whole lot of info available yet what they are planning to do but interesting to say at least.

Little more info:

http://www.rfid24-7.com/2014/04/14/finnish-hockey-team-turns-to-rfid-for-better-player-analytics/

http://www.kurudigital.com/en/products.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyDuUsZ1Q1o

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Would make coaching easier. A coach could get a graphic that tracks the players entire location in each game and get an idea of his tendency and make changes accoridingly. This can be done now with watching game film, however it requires more time and doesnt provide the same insight as you have to generalize movements and locations.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Also a good way to better measure when players get tired at the end of a shift - obviously, there are players who can take longer shifts without faltering, but who (and how long)?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Also a good way to better measure when players get tired at the end of a shift - obviously, there are players who can take longer shifts without faltering, but who (and how long)?

That's probably the biggest one. They obviously do conditioning tests before the season, but they can only determine so much, and I'm guessing that's the only time they do them. This could go a long way in determining just how efficiently you can divy up icetime for certain players. That's actually kind of huge.

Someone brought up about any chips getting crushed, which is a concern, but if it can hold up on NFL running backs and the like, I think it should be fine in hockey. Just keep it out of the pucks. Really hope they never mess with them again.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
What can it do that would make watching hockey a more entertaining experience?

Football I can understand. So much standing around that the more stats and neon colored lines they can populate the screen with, the better.

Oh, I didn't realize it was all about you. My bad, I thought this was about helping improve teams and coaching.

Carry on...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad