Not open for further replies.

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Good
Thight games, very few blow-outs here.
Scoring.
The Czech team playing out of this world offence. Not to take anything away from Canada, but when they finally showed up they were the best team IMO.
Team Canada refusing to loose.
Finns fighting spirit.
Germans putting up a solid effort in QFs
Sakic, Modin, Elias, Ruutu, Jokinen, Lemieux, Timonen...
No serious injuries.

Bad
Refs. Here's a cost cut idea: if they are not going to call anything why have them in the ice in the first place? Case in point, the finals. Two penalties, both clear obstuction calls and totally out of line with what was not called. What does that tell you about the line?
Niinimaa/Summanen mess. Full post-mortem to follow.
Bad ice in most European venues.
Chelios, Tkachuk lack of class.
All of the players who didn't show up.
Add breaks. If we have to have commercials inside period, why not just one slightly longer break where Zamboni can redo the ice.
The trophy.
The retarted bureaucratic decision of not allowing Karalahti to play.

BCCHL inactive

teme said:
Bad
Refs. Here's a cost cut idea: if they are not going to call anything why have them in the ice in the first place? Case in point, the finals. Two penalties, both clear obstuction calls and totally out of line with what was not called. What does that tell you about the line?

Something I've noticed, is that when they call a lot of penalties, people say they need to let the teams play. Hypocritically, when they let the teams battle it out, they need to call more penalties.

Somebody always has to complain I guess.

teme said:
Add breaks. If we have to have commercials inside period, why not just one slightly longer break where Zamboni can redo the ice.

The retarted bureaucratic decision of not allowing Karalahti to play.

I heard the complaints about bad ice, but we can't have intermissions during periods.

I'm sure you being Finnish has nothing to do with your opinion here, but Karalahti is under suspension in the NHL. It only makes sense that he cannot play in an NHL-sanctioned event.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Van said:
Something I've noticed, is that when they call a lot of penalties, people say they need to let the teams play. Hypocritically, when they let the teams battle it out, they need to call more penalties.

There is a middle ground between calling no penalties and calling a lot of penalties. Take a look at some world championnsips games and you'll see a referee trying to turn a hockey game into a power play contest, that's just as bas as what happened in the NHL.

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
I tried to post both good and bad, but anyone seems to agree on good parts, so....

Van said:

I am not going to take responsibility for comments of people who hate clutch and grab while arguing for "letting them play". Some fans want a hard fought game. Others prefer something that doesn't look like a wrestling match. I refuse to believe that these are mutually incompatible.

Van said:
I heard the complaints about bad ice, but we can't have intermissions during periods.
I don't know how long it takes for Zamboni to do the rounds, but if it is less than five minutes it is basicly a long ad break.

Van said:
I'm sure you being Finnish has nothing to do with your opinion here, but Karalahti is under suspension in the NHL. It only makes sense that he cannot play in an NHL-sanctioned event.
Personally, I couldn't care less about what players do off-ice whether they are Finnish, Canadian or Chinese... However, the point I was trying to make is that it was argued that this is a different situation then when he was suspended, and NHL reply "but he is suspended" is a retarted bureaucratic non-answer. Right or wrong, it was handled very badly.

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
I think everyone knew going in that this tournament, love it or hate it, would be officiated like the NHL playoffs. Maybe not enough was called, but then in the World Championships maybe they call too many penalties. Nothing is perfect. From most of what I read, the players did not seem to be complaining about it.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
teme said:
I tried to post both good and bad, but anyone seems to agree on good parts, so....

I am not going to take responsibility for comments of people who hate clutch and grab while arguing for "letting them play". Some fans want a hard fought game. Others prefer something that doesn't look like a wrestling match. I refuse to believe that these are mutually incompatible.

That kind of hockey means that the refs don't decide the game, and in important games like the WCHF you don't want the refs to decide the games.

I don't know how long it takes for Zamboni to do the rounds, but if it is less than five minutes it is basicly a long ad break.

I'm not even going to comment on this one.

Personally, I couldn't care less about what players do off-ice whether they are Finnish, Canadian or Chinese... However, the point I was trying to make is that it was argued that this is a different situation then when he was suspended, and NHL reply "but he is suspended" is a retarted bureaucratic non-answer. Right or wrong, it was handled very badly.

You don't understand that he was suspended by the NHL do you? In order for him to play in the WCH he would of had to have permission from the National Hockey League because the World Cup of Hockey is played in the NHL format. That's exactly why Wayne Gretzky didn't select Todd Bertuzzi for Team Canada, because he's suspended. :shakehead

Rocky Saginuts

Jul 21, 2004
Hamildump, Ontario
teme said:
The Czech team playing out of this world offence. Not to take anything away from Canada, but when they finally showed up they were the best team IMO.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but I take exception to that point. Did the Czechs play a better game than Canada in the semis? You bet! Are they a better team? No way! Cripes, the 11th best forward on the Maple Leafs is their Captain!!!

If you use the one game logic, then Keith Tzachuk is the best player in the universe.

Overall the best thing about the tourney was that every country there was hungry to win - except maybe the States in that Finn game (what the hell was that?!?).

The worst thing was the lack of real memorable moments. Other than Vinny's goal, Ruutu's goal and Kovalev undressing Amonte playing defence, there wasn't much that will stick with me 10 years from now.

BTW, I think I saw the trophy in a recycling bin outside the ACC... :shakehead

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
teme said:
That's not how it works in North America. From what I understand, Europe have very few commercials in between shows. In North America, commercials comes every 15 minutes or so if I'm not wrong. The commercials are indeed too long though. I remember when I was younger, there was only one commercial everytime there was a break and the play dictated the time of the commercials. Today, it's the reverse. The long commercials started to appear when the NHL oblidged to American networks demands.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Chelios and Tkachuk? Oh, you mean the "spitting incident" that was never quite substantiated, and was not reported on by any major news source, including TSN? Yeah, that was a big downer. :shakehead

Last edited:

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
MooseHunter said:
That kind of hockey means that the refs don't decide the game, and in important games like the WCHF you don't want the refs to decide the games.
If a player trips an opponent it is his decision. The ref just calls it.

MooseHunter said:
You don't understand that he was suspended by the NHL do you? In order for him to play in the WCH he would of had to have permission from the National Hockey League because the World Cup of Hockey is played in the NHL format. That's exactly why Wayne Gretzky didn't select Todd Bertuzzi for Team Canada, because he's suspended. :shakehead
I said that NHL should've considered whether his suspension is valid under the circumstances. You reply he would've needed NHL permision to play. What exactly do we disagree on?

Flonaldo

Rabid Ranger said:
Chelios and Tkachuk? Oh, you mean the "spitting incident" that was never quite substantiated, and was not reported on by any major news source, including TSN? Yeah, that was a big downer. :shakehead
Major news source? Meaning major Canadian or US news source, eh? It was reported in a major news source in Finland with direct comments from Nieminen.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Flonaldo said:
Major news source? Meaning major Canadian or US news source, eh? It was reported in a major news source in Finland with direct comments from Nieminen.

never trust what that little punk Nieminen says.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Flonaldo said:

Show me where he said Tkachuk spit on him.

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
mpdman said:
I agree with a lot of what you said, but I take exception to that point. Did the Czechs play a better game than Canada in the semis? You bet! Are they a better team? No way! Cripes, the 11th best forward on the Maple Leafs is their Captain!!!

If you use the one game logic, then Keith Tzachuk is the best player in the universe.

Overall the best thing about the tourney was that every country there was hungry to win - except maybe the States in that Finn game (what the hell was that?!?).

The worst thing was the lack of real memorable moments. Other than Vinny's goal, Ruutu's goal and Kovalev undressing Amonte playing defence, there wasn't much that will stick with me 10 years from now.

BTW, I think I saw the trophy in a recycling bin outside the ACC... :shakehead

Being Captain does not mean being the best player on the ice... Who cares if he´s the 11 th offensive player of Totonto?! He always was an important player to the Czech team. A true leader. And that´s what counts... Even though his international days are over - everybody could see that.

You´re logic is quite wierd. You admit that the Czech team was better in the semis but the Canadians are the better team. When else then in face-to-face conrontation can you see which team is better...And in that semifinal game team Canda were luckier and had fantastic Luongo on their side. THAT was the only thing Canada was better in.

Rocky Saginuts

Jul 21, 2004
Hamildump, Ontario
Rogalo said:
You´re logic is quite wierd. You admit that the Czech team was better in the semis but the Canadians are the better team. When else then in face-to-face conrontation can you see which team is better...And in that semifinal game team Canda were luckier and had fantastic Luongo on their side. THAT was the only thing Canada was better in.

How is my logic "wierd"? I admitted Canada had a crappy game - Czechs were all over us.
You've got to remember 2 things: 1) any team can have an off-game, and 2) even though the Czechs played the game of their lives, with nothing to lose btw, CANADA STILL WON! Last time I checked, results matter.

If I use your logic, then Canada won the gold medal in '98 (we slaughtered the Czechs, but couldn't beat Hasek).

In this tourney, Canada went 6-0, and never trailed in a game. They dominated almost every period of the tourney.

They carried that ugly lamp they call a trophy around the ice. They are the best team! :bow:

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
mpdman said:
How is my logic "wierd"? I admitted Canada had a crappy game - Czechs were all over us.
You've got to remember 2 things: 1) any team can have an off-game, and 2) even though the Czechs played the game of their lives, with nothing to lose btw, CANADA STILL WON! Last time I checked, results matter.

If I use your logic, then Canada won the gold medal in '98 (we slaughtered the Czechs, but couldn't beat Hasek).

In this tourney, Canada went 6-0, and never trailed in a game. They dominated almost every period of the tourney.

They carried that ugly lamp they call a trophy around the ice. They are the best team! :bow:

Not only your logic but your memory is bad either. The only time Canada really pinned the Czechs in 98 were the final minutes of the 3rd period and overtime. I certainly would not call that domination. And slaughter? Now that´s a good one :joker: But I do understand... bad memories have a tendency to disappear real fast. Maybe in a years time I might find out we did not stand a chance against the Candians in the WC 04. Outplayed, outshot and slaughtered in the end :lol

Mountain Dude

Whether or not Keith spit on him doesn't change the fact that Tkachuk was the dirtiest player of the tournament.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Mountain Dude said:
Whether or not Keith spit on him doesn't change the fact that Tkachuk was the dirtiest player of the tournament.

I think throwing elbows is a little differant than spitting on your opponent, but that's me. But hey, you'd probably be singing a differant tune if it was Joe Thornton or some other Canadian cherub grinding it out, right?

Last edited:

Mountain Dude

Rabid Ranger said:
I think throwing elbows is a little differant that spitting on your opponent, but that's me. But hey, you'd probably be singing a differant tune if it was Joe Thornton or some other Canadian cherub grinding it out, right?

Joe Thornton didn't smoke two guys from behind blatently.

chicpea*

Rabid Ranger said:
I think throwing elbows is a little differant that spitting on your opponent, but that's me. But hey, you'd probably be singing a differant tune if it was Joe Thornton or some other Canadian cherub grinding it out, right?
But that's not what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->