U20: Tournament in Lake Placid aug 2013

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Whats the deal with Pettersson? He's looks terrible everytime I watch him.

He was pretty good the game I watched, fluid and good outlet pass. But I don't see him as some sort of lock for this year's tourmanent.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
He was pretty good the game I watched, fluid and good outlet pass. But I don't see him as some sort of lock for this year's tourmanent.

He's small, not a great skater, not great offensively and struggles with aggressive forecheck. He's pretty aggressive and tough for his size but surely there has to be better options.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
He was ok against finland. some neat small passes but overall he was quite average and didnt get noticed from the group.

Dec 13, 2010
splurged to buy this USA/Canada game on fasthockey. probably could have found a free stream realistically, but oh well. excited to see these two go at it.

Dec 13, 2010
Even though USA has been the more undisciplined team, something that's obvious about the last few Canadian juniors teams (the one that played today included) is if you punch them in the mouth they don't respond well. When the game got to 3-0 you started seeing some diving, slashes/cross checks behind the play. Don't remember who exactly it was but there was a horrible knee that thankfully didn't result in injury. Santini going after McDavid was inexcusable as well, but you don't really see that kind of play from other countries when they go down. I'm sure I'll get flack for it as an American, and you're right I'm not 100% unbiased at all, but it seems like a lot of these Canadian teams lately have the mindset that they're SUPPOSED to win every game, so when they're getting dominated they don't know how to respond.

The looks I had at McDavid have been exclusively in the OHL and today's game, but today was the first time I've ever watched him play where he didn't seem like one of, if not THE best player on the ice. The kid is impressive though. He's going to learn soon that at the level he's at now he can't just dominate and try to make the game happen himself, and when he does he's going to be terrifying.

Jon Gillies is pretty unbelievable. I got to see him a bit at Providence this year but he really blew me away today. He's going to be an X factor for Team USA at the 14 WJC. I don't see too much 5 on 5 offensive firepower out of this team, so having a great goalie like Gillies is going to be huge. Pretty crazy that Thatcher Demko is a kid with probably even more hype than Gillies and he'll likely be the NEXT WJC tender.

vsk92

Alltid IFK
Mar 31, 2011
Scotland.
Well it seems like Teravainen is having yet another good game.

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 33m
Teravainen just made a flip pass from his own end over 3 SWE players to hit a streaking Kapanen on the wing and completely meant to do that.

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 54m
Teravainen with a beauty backhand on a penalty shot. 1-1 game. What a week for him.

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 7m
Teravainen on a breakaway. Tie game. Have mercy.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Teuvo Teräväinen Dominated the tournament. by far the best player bar none at this level, just put Barkov center to him at wjc and gold is Finlands.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Even though USA has been the more undisciplined team, something that's obvious about the last few Canadian juniors teams (the one that played today included) is if you punch them in the mouth they don't respond well. When the game got to 3-0 you started seeing some diving, slashes/cross checks behind the play. Don't remember who exactly it was but there was a horrible knee that thankfully didn't result in injury. Santini going after McDavid was inexcusable as well, but you don't really see that kind of play from other countries when they go down. I'm sure I'll get flack for it as an American, and you're right I'm not 100% unbiased at all, but it seems like a lot of these Canadian teams lately have the mindset that they're SUPPOSED to win every game, so when they're getting dominated they don't know how to respond.

The looks I had at McDavid have been exclusively in the OHL and today's game, but today was the first time I've ever watched him play where he didn't seem like one of, if not THE best player on the ice. The kid is impressive though. He's going to learn soon that at the level he's at now he can't just dominate and try to make the game happen himself, and when he does he's going to be terrifying.

Jon Gillies is pretty unbelievable. I got to see him a bit at Providence this year but he really blew me away today. He's going to be an X factor for Team USA at the 14 WJC. I don't see too much 5 on 5 offensive firepower out of this team, so having a great goalie like Gillies is going to be huge. Pretty crazy that Thatcher Demko is a kid with probably even more hype than Gillies and he'll likely be the NEXT WJC tender.

Good thoughts. Personally, I think Canada's gotten a bit soft in their approach to team construction. Yes, you have to have skill-but you also have to retain the physicality and intimidation. I'll be interested to see what Sutter's input is on the finished product.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
What happened exactly? What was the final score?

Not too worried about the result. Sutter will make the players in tip top shape. The defense will vastly improve as he is a defensively minded coach. He can't stand incompetent defense.

Last edited:

vsk92

Alltid IFK
Mar 31, 2011
Scotland.
Shame there was no stream for this game. Finland won in penalty shoot-out :D

Chris Peters ‏@chrismpeters 3m
Sounds like the Teuvo Teravainen show continued today in Lake Placid. One scout told me, "best I've seen at [#NJEC] since Patrick Kane."

Chris Peters ‏@chrismpeters 5m
I was at Kane's last #NJEC and it was a pretty dominant performance. This year, Teravainen's been on a different level than everyone else

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 10m
Teravainen with a filthy shootout goal because why not.

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 38m
Teravainen gets another break but just misses the hat trick. Then almost sets up a goal. #BeastMode

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Yes traditionally finland has really sucked at these tournaments and games. i think the headcoach said they had won like 2 or 3 out of 30 games in this kind of events before finland won the team usa blue or white team in opener.

bookjones

Aug 15, 2010
Shame there was no stream for this game. Finland won in penalty shoot-out :D

Chris Peters ‏@chrismpeters 3m
Sounds like the Teuvo Teravainen show continued today in Lake Placid. One scout told me, "best I've seen at [#NJEC] since Patrick Kane."

Chris Peters ‏@chrismpeters 5m
I was at Kane's last #NJEC and it was a pretty dominant performance. This year, Teravainen's been on a different level than everyone else

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 10m
Teravainen with a filthy shootout goal because why not.

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 38m
Teravainen gets another break but just misses the hat trick. Then almost sets up a goal. #BeastMode

You left out these. :D

Kirk Luedeke ‏@kluedeke29 2h
Penalty shot for Teuvo Teravainen...oh boy!

Kirk Luedeke ‏@kluedeke29 2h
Backhand laser- boom. 1-1 game

Kirk Luedeke ‏@kluedeke29 1h
Teravainen capitalizes on Dahlstrom losing his edge after turnover and bang- 2-2 just like that. Little Finn can score at will. #Hawks

Kirk Luedeke ‏@kluedeke29 1h
Scorers must have a killer instinct to go with their skill, hands & creativity- Teravainen has all of that & more. Bad news for rest of NHL

Kirk Luedeke ‏@kluedeke29 38m
Sandberg. Nice. Teravainen said, I'll see your backhand and raise you a filthy forehand, shot. 3rd tally today for him

Zibanejad

Aug 21, 2011
Whats the deal with Pettersson? He's looks terrible everytime I watch him.

He's just back from serious injury or he would have made last years WJC. Must have been out 6months or so. Just got back to play these games really the first ones since his injury/injuries

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad