Tournament all-star team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy*

Alexander Steen said:
Because we're Leaf fans, that automatically makes everything we have to say about Meszaros and Vorobiev worthless?
Did I say that? But I suspect that is the basis upon which you are saying Vorobiev.
And if you were discussing the two players before last nights game, I'm sure you would have been citing Meszaros superior offensive performance on a substantially worse team, no? :shakehead :shakehead

leafaholix*

Sammy said:
Did I say that? But I suspect that is the basis upon which you are saying Vorobiev.
And if you were discussing the two players before last nights game, I'm sure you would have been citing Meszaros superior offensive performance on a substantially worse team, no? :shakehead :shakehead
Vorobiev stepped up with 4 assists against team USA and has been tremendous with the Russian team throughout the tournament.

leafaholix*

markov` said:
I mean, if Alvaro Montoya was a Leaf prospect, you'd probably name him goaltender of the tournament.
That's enough out of you.

:shakehead

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
markov` said:
F Patrice Bergeron
F Alexander Ovechkin
F Rostislav Olesz
D Dion Phaneuf
D Andrej Meszaros
G Marek Schwarz
Agreed, except by tournaments end, aka the the jeff carter show(finals), I think either Carter or Getzlaf will be named ahead of Olesz.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
F- Patrice Bergeron, Canada
F- Alexander Ovechkin, Russia
F- Rostislav Olesz, Czech Republic

honorable mention: Jeff Carter, Canada; Ryan Getzlaf, Canada; Evgeni Malkin, Russia

Bergeron and Ovechkin are locks really, and somebody has to knock Olesz out of his spot IMO. Carter has been dominant at times which is why he deserves mention despite not being at the top in points (although he's up there).

D- Dion Phaneuf, Canada
D- Dmitry Vorobiev, Russia

honorable mention: Shawn Belle, Canada

With Phaneuf there should be no question, he has hit (with several big hits), played huge minutes on a stacked blueline in every possible situation, made only a couple mistakes, and gotten a handful of assists to boot. Vorobiev has quietly been very good and put up some solid blueline numbers to boot. Belle has been the secodn strongest Canadian defenseman as far as I'm concerned, he has really standed out, not just because Pierre McGuire constantly mentions him, but because he is really showing good stuff out there. He has really shown far more than i think anybody expected of him going in.

G- Marek Schwarz, Czech Republic

honorable mention: Jeff Glass, Canada

Glass' .915 save pct. is good enough for 2nd amongst tournament starters. Definitely should not be goalie of the tournament, but worthy of an honorable mention nonetheless. I think it gives the general tone of the goaltending in this tourney. It is Schwarz's award, he is the only goalie that one can point to and say has put in a consistently good tournament. The only goalie that has shown to be currently capable of stealing games for his team as well as take his team to the medal round.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Alexander Steen said:
7 points in 6 games, -2

or...

6 points in 5 games, +8

... both defenses being equivalently mediocre.

And yet you are the one who says numbers can be decieving. Suter has shown up both offensively and defensively every night. Vorobiev had a 4 assist game to really help out his stats(1 assist was on an EN goal).

leafaholix*

Chaos said:
And yet you are the one who says numbers can be decieving. Suter has shown up both offensively and defensively every night. Vorobiev had a 4 assist game to really help out his stats(1 assist was on an EN goal).
This is a short tournament, using junior stats to determine the NHL potential of a player can be off.

And the fact that Vorobiev hasn't been on the ice for any of Russia's goals scored against is important.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Bergeron
Ovechkin
Carter/Malkin (i agree it depends on who wins and has the bigger game tomorrow)
Phaneuf
Mezaros

Shwartz

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Alexander Steen said:
And the fact that Vorobiev hasn't been on the ice for any of Russia's goals scored against is important.

Yep...maybe it means that he has been surrounded by defensively responsible players, and he's just along for the ride ;).

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
Alexander Steen said:
This is a short tournament, using junior stats to determine the NHL potential of a player can be off.

I've seen all of the USA games (except the czech game) and I can tell you that Suter has played great defensively. The numbers tell only a very little about someone's defensive capabilities. You can pretty much throw them out the window.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Habsfan 32 said:
F Patrice Bergeron
F Alexander Ovechkin
F Rostislav Olesz
D Dion Phaneuf
D Andrej Meszaros
G Marek Schwarz
I doubt you will se that many Czechs and Slovaks on the team, particularly if both coutries finish out of the medals IMO .. and Schwarz didn't even play against the USA in there most important game to advance to the medal round and that will certainly effect the results .. I could easily see the winning goalie of the goal medal game make the team .. Schwarz will have to have a great game against the USA to make it ..

Usually the Gold Medal game plays a big part of All-Star teams ..

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I have to say I'm pretty surprised. There is not a single mention of Shea Weber as an all-star dman. I haven't seen much of Vorobiev, but I don't see why he would be named over Weber. To me, it's an all Canadian defence pair. Then it's Bergeron, Ovechkin and someone else up front, I'm leaning towards Carter. In net, hard to say. I just don't see Schwarz having done enough for a possible 3rd place team to be named. I think it'll be Glass.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Kritty said:
I have to say I'm pretty surprised. There is not a single mention of Shea Weber as an all-star dman. I haven't seen much of Vorobiev, but I don't see why he would be named over Weber. To me, it's an all Canadian defence pair. Then it's Bergeron, Ovechkin and someone else up front, I'm leaning towards Carter. In net, hard to say. I just don't see Schwarz having done enough for a possible 3rd place team to be named. I think it'll be Glass.

wow 5 Canadians in the starting lineup :eek:

I say
Bergeron
Ovechkin
Carter
Vorobiev
Phanuef
Schwarz

Canada_87

Dec 28, 2004
I'm with basically everyone else:

F Ovechkin
F Bergeron
F Olesz
D Phaneuf
D Vorobiev
G Schwarz

But as some have mentioned, Olesz, if the Czechs finish 4th will probably not be on the squad. Jeff Carter would be a likely replacement. I was hoping Crosby would get a spot on the All-Star team this year, but since he's behind like 4 other players for total scoring I don't think it's likely. You never know though, there's still the finals, and if he can come up big maybe he can get the nod.

*Out of Fanboy mode*

espo*

To me the defense pairing has to be Weber and Phaneuf but i've only seen one Russian game.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Matt MacInnis said:
I think some of the positions are still open.

I would say that Patrice Bergeron, Dion Phaneuf, and Alex Ovechkin have clinched their spots.

What happens in the final will determine if Jeff Carter, Evgeni Malkin, or Rusty Olesz gets the third forward spot.

The goaltender will likely be the winner of the tournament unless its a goal-fest, and then it should go to Marek Schwarz.

The second defender is a tough call, I really don't know.
are you going on total points or old hype? because malkin has out played ao 3 out of 5 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->