Toughest team

pghsportsfan3392

Jan 31, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Orpik almost never fights, hasn't won a fight in years. Cooke is a gutless, backstabbing little ****.

I believe the thread is toughest team. You don't necessarily have to be an enforcer in order to be a tough player. No doubt Cooke is a dirty player. Pens fans as well as Canucks and Caps fans know that. But almost all instigators are (Avery, Downie, Ruutu, Kaleta, Ott).

bauerguy88

Oct 22, 2008
North East
I believe the thread is toughest team. You don't necessarily have to be an enforcer in order to be a tough player. No doubt Cooke is a dirty player. Pens fans as well as Canucks and Caps fans know that. But almost all instigators are (Avery, Downie, Ruutu, Kaleta, Ott).

Downie and Cooke are in a league of their own in todays game when it comes to dirty players.

PGHSports

Feb 24, 2007
Ask the Pens:laugh:

Islanders are tough cause their fighters beat up non-fighters? If it was straight up fights between Gillies, Haley, Konopka, Martin vs Godard, Engelland, Rupp, and Asham, Pittsburgh wins.

Hasn't Asham beat Konopka already and Godard beat Gillies in Pittsburgh and Rupp beat Konopka.

fireworks

Apr 17, 2009
Bobcaygeon
Everyone except Pens fans hate him and Ulf. Shocker to see only fans of the teams Ulf/Cooke been on thinking they are tough in anyway.

I'm a Bruins fan and I don't like Cooke,but I would never put Cooke into the same conversation as Ulf. Ulf was a dirtbag that I absolutely hated. Really for the most part Cooke gets his elbows up and/or hit a player that was vunerable etc. But, I'll give him credit he answered the bell the next time we played each other against Thornton. Cooke needs to learn how to make the clean body check and keeps his elbows tucked in, but really he's not a ********* IMO. I really hated him the night that he put Savard out,but he is more than just an idiot or "Goon". He's a good checking forward that can help a team on the 3rd or 4th checking line and provide good leadership. He deserves exactly what he got with this latest suspension...and hopefully he can learn and comeback and play good aggressive clean hockey!

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Schenn
Phanuef
Aulie
Komisarek
Rosehill
Orr
Brown
Crabb
Voros
Armstrong
to some extent Boyce
Def not the toughest, but not the weakest either

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
What about the 92-93 leafs they had
Wendel Clark:sarcasm:
Doug Gilmour was a tough customer
and a few others and the 97 leafs were pretty tough too like the OP said

Root

Feb 22, 2010
Schenn
Phanuef
Aulie
Komisarek
Rosehill
Orr
Brown
Crabb
Voros
Armstrong
to some extent Boyce
Def not the toughest, but not the weakest either

you are listing guys from the AHL, and half the guys listed aren't even tough...

benr

Mar 7, 2011
As far as I know, the Sabres were pretty tough during the '06-'07 season (2/22/07 specifically) That brawl, even Ruff and Murray went at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAPhqXj_24I

I hope you all can figure out what Ruff says (or shouts, rather) at Murray, because I'd rather not say it.

Haha they sure are tough attacking goalies and star fowards with a combined total of what, 5 fights? Or less even? They didnt seem too tough next game.

Or in the playoffs where they crumbled in 5 games.

FranklinSteele

Mar 25, 2011
Indiana
The Pens had some tough teams in the mid-90's (Ulf Samuelsson, Dave Roche, Chris Tamer, Francois Leoux), but this year's team is definitely the toughest:

Aaron Asham
Eric Godard
Matt Cooke
Deryk Engelland
Brooks Orpik
Mike Rupp

Hasn't Asham been hurt? Goard is a monster. Matt Cooke is not tough. Orpik doesn't fight and Rupp is a scratch or in the minors half the time.

This is like me saying the Wings are tough because they have some guys that can scrap sitting in the press box.

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
The St. Louis Blues 1990-1994:

Tony Twist
Kelly Chase
Basil McRae
Todd Ewen
Sergio Momesso
Darin Kimble
Scott Stevens
Garth Butcher
Brendan Shanahan
Dave Lowry
Murray Baron
Glen Featherstone
Harold Snepsts
Robert Dirk
Lee Norwood
Ian Laperriere
Bob Bassen
The Sutter Twins

and Curtis Joseph...

member 96824

I'm a Bruins fan and I don't like Cooke,but I would never put Cooke into the same conversation as Ulf. Ulf was a dirtbag that I absolutely hated. Really for the most part Cooke gets his elbows up and/or hit a player that was vunerable etc. But, I'll give him credit he answered the bell the next time we played each other against Thornton. Cooke needs to learn how to make the clean body check and keeps his elbows tucked in, but really he's not a ********* IMO. I really hated him the night that he put Savard out,but he is more than just an idiot or "Goon". He's a good checking forward that can help a team on the 3rd or 4th checking line and provide good leadership. He deserves exactly what he got with this latest suspension...and hopefully he can learn and comeback and play good aggressive clean hockey!

You obviously only started paying attention to Cooke after the savard incident.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Hasn't Asham been hurt? Goard is a monster. Matt Cooke is not tough. Orpik doesn't fight and Rupp is a scratch or in the minors half the time.

This is like me saying the Wings are tough because they have some guys that can scrap sitting in the press box.

Rupp's played 79 games this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->