Patrick Roy
Pete Peeters
Dave Kerr
Bob Froese
Darcy Wakaluk
Tom Barasso
Dan Bouchard
Gerry Cheevers

Dan Cloutier, Steve Passmore, Neil Little, Garth Snow, Curtis Joseph are some names that come to mind for me.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
HHOF Hugh Lehman, the 11-time PCHA all-star and the first ever goaltender of the Chicago Blackhawks.

".. no man has ever taken liberties with Lehman's citadel and escaped scathless..."

And THAT was one bloody rough-and-tumble era of hockey history!

Reactions: ChiTownPhilly

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Billy Smith must've whacked more opposing forwards (and probably the odd defenseman) with his stick than any other goaltender. Slashes, spears, etc.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Who was the O6 goalie who Gordie Howe said he had to stay away from because he would whack hard or spear any opposing forward who bumped him?

... i read it in an all-time great's bio... but can't recall at the moment...

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
It is not just about PIM but Barrasso racked up 70 in just over 50 games one year. Was as cantankerous on the ice as well as off. He had a thing where he'd swing is stick back around the net to prevent wraparounds ala Billy Smith.

Brent Johnson maybe? Just for his one punch knockout of DiPietro if nothing else.

My Best-Carey

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Toughness is different than aggressiveness.

Sawchuk was tough, playing with a litany of injuries that would sideline every NHL goalie in the game today.

Hasek was aggressive, taking on shooters gleefully, rushing out, hitting them, like a honey badger against a bear.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes

Here's Billy fighting Lanny McDonald.

-----------------------

I enjoyed watching Billy Smith when I was young. He was very entertaining. First, he was a good goalie, playing on a very good team. And he was always slashing people, and fighting, and making acrobatic saves.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Wizard of Oz

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

fun fact: dan cloutier was vancouver's goalie coach until this september

cut.jpg

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
A honey badger would never let himself get run over like this.

You are kidding. He played the puck. The goon hit him from behind, a deliberate intent to injure. Odjick was ejected from the game. Vancouver lost.

Hasek quickly got up, returned to his crease and stood there, his elbow on the net. A power position.

That video shows his air of dominance.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
You are kidding. He played the puck. The goon hit him from behind, a deliberate intent to injure. Odjick was ejected from the game. Vancouver lost.

Hasek quickly got up, returned to his crease and stood there, his elbow on the net. A power position.

That video shows his air of dominance.

Here he's getting mauled by another goon.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I love his little "Im headed back to the net, anyone want the next dance?" routine after he gets up
He had the right to be arrogant. He had made 36 saves that night, including an amazing 11 against Pavel Bure, the score was 6-1 late in the 3rd period, his only goal against by Brashear at the start of the game.

Just the night before in Toronto Hasek was outshot 37-27 but won 4-1. He was the reigning Hart trophy winner and it was January, halfway through another spectacular season (he'd win the Hart again at the end of the season).

To recap: He got knocked down from behind. His teammates immediately swarmed the goon and Hasek skates to his crease and puts his elbow on the net: a power position by a player who held all the power at the peak of his reign.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Here he's getting mauled by another goon.

Again, he is hit from behind. What does Hasek IMMEDIATELY do? He throws his blocker glove aggressively at the guy!

My favorite part of that clip was the announcer laughing and saying: "How many goalies start ripping a knockball blocker towards a player?! I don't think I've ever seen anything like that.":)

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
he always seemed like a mild mannered guy to me but here's giguere taking issue with berube after getting run and then, much later (@16:55), third man inning on scott nichols when nichols jumps tverdovsky.

what a video.

the best part was iginla sanctimoniously asking the ref, did you see that? did you see that ref?

or ronald petrovicky getting a couple of cheap ones in on bylsma while they were being separated on the ice

or tverdovsky challenging an unwilling kravchuk several shifts in a row and later trying to run up the score instead of running down the clock before nichols decides enough is enough

or lowry intentionally putting the phck over the boards so berube could get back out there to attack more skill guys

or... well let's just say i wish brind'amour had run the terry murray playbook this week against aaron dell/san jose/thornton. actually kevin sawyer is the best part of the video.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I know garth snow is mostly known for that shoulder equipment he wore, but is my perception of him being a tough, or at least physically engaging on point?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
he always seemed like a mild mannered guy to me but here's giguere taking issue with berube after getting run and then, much later (@16:55), third man inning on scott nichols when nichols jumps tverdovsky.

what a video.

the best part was iginla sanctimoniously asking the ref, did you see that? did you see that ref?

or ronald petrovicky getting a couple of cheap ones in on bylsma while they were being separated on the ice

or tverdovsky challenging an unwilling kravchuk several shifts in a row and later trying to run up the score instead of running down the clock before nichols decides enough is enough

or lowry intentionally putting the phck over the boards so berube could get back out there to attack more skill guys

or... well let's just say i wish brind'amour had run the terry murray playbook this week against aaron dell/san jose/thornton. actually kevin sawyer is the best part of the video.

LOL I love watching that video every once in a while. Sawyer's ready to brawl stance after pushing Vernon and Greg Gilbert's wink from the bench are my favorite parts.

One of my faves is Cloutier and Salo:

"Really throwin' 'em at Salo!"

"Now Cloutier's challenging the Islander's bench!"

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
LOL I love watching that video every once in a while. Sawyer's ready to brawl stance after pushing Vernon and Greg Gilbert's wink from the bench are my favorite parts.

One of my faves is Cloutier and Salo:

"Really throwin' 'em at Salo!"

"Now Cloutier's challenging the Islander's bench!"

That was a bitch move by Cloutier against a player who didn't want to fight. If I played for the Islanders, I would have done something horrible to him with stick or skate.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Robin Lehner should be added to this list. I know he's mellowed out over the last couple years after seeking help. He's still a tough customer though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad