toughest little guy

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
i say the same, followed closely by Tie Domi. (when he played). and Jordan Tootoo.
Rypien was as fearless as anybody I've ever seen, but Domi was in a different weight class than Rick.

Rypien fought a lot of guys in the middleweight range. he made a career out of fighting guys like Zack Stortini and Cody Mcleod. Domi was out fighting some of the great heavyweights of all time.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
Rypien was as fearless as anybody I've ever seen, but Domi was in a different weight class than Rick.

Rypien fought a lot of guys in the middleweight range. he made a career out of fighting guys like Zack Stortini and Cody Mcleod. Domi was out fighting some of the great heavyweights of all time.

Rypien would have finally had the chance to fight Eastern Conference tough guys this year, with the Jets in the East, and would have no doubt fought (if he hadn't already) Boogaard, Boulton, Konopka, Chara, Thornton, Colton Orr....guys like these that he may not have faced before...he was, as you mentioned, fearless and given the chance, would have taken them all on.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Tie was short but thick as a tree stump, he was listed to be 200+ lbs for much of his career. He improved his fighting technique when he was traded to the Leafs from the Jets, as evidenced by him losing a fight to Ray as a Jet but after moving to Toronto, Ray couldn't touch him after that. Techically he was the best fighter the NHL has ever seen. I would even say he was as good if not better than Probert, once Probert had to tie down his jersey.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Tie was short but thick as a tree stump, he was listed to be 200+ lbs for much of his career. He improved his fighting technique when he was traded to the Leafs from the Jets, as evidenced by him losing a fight to Ray as a Jet but after moving to Toronto, Ray couldn't touch him after that. Techically he was the best fighter the NHL has ever seen. I would even say he was as good if not better than Probert, once Probert had to tie down his jersey.

Haha if having a cement block for a head, tucking your chin and chucking punches is technical than sure, but I wouldnt say he was by far the best technical fighter the NHL has ever seen

benr

Mar 7, 2011
Rypien would have finally had the chance to fight Eastern Conference tough guys this year, with the Jets in the East, and would have no doubt fought (if he hadn't already) Boogaard, Boulton, Konopka, Chara, Thornton, Colton Orr....guys like these that he may not have faced before...he was, as you mentioned, fearless and given the chance, would have taken them all on.

Judging by his fight with Carkner, I really think Rypien would get ruined by your whole list except Konopka. He was good but they're too big and experienced at fighting. There's a big difference between Gill or Valabik and Boogard or Chara.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Another vote for Haley.

Downie takes a lot of punishment if thats what you mean by toughest :laugh:....wouldnt call him a decent fighter though.

Edit: Konopka? Led the league in fighting majors couple years back at 6 foot?

Konopka doesn't really fight, more like a hugging match.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
Judging by his fight with Carkner, I really think Rypien would get ruined by your whole list except Konopka. He was good but they're too big and experienced at fighting. There's a big difference between Gill or Valabik and Boogard or Chara.

the thing is, whether he lost a fight with Carkner or not, had he played this year, he would have taken them all on....he would have also renewed hostilities with Carkner again, as well as Chris Neil, whom he also had lost to in the past. i think he's being sold a little short here. he also had boxing training apparently, so win or not i feel he would have gone after all the East's tough guys and done rather well! it would have been fun, too bad we'll never know. :(

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

When you hear the words tough guy what comes to mind boogaard,probert,laraque,nilan,colton orr,parros ect but are we forgetting anybody here what about the toughest of these tough little pint sized fighters like dennis polonich,theo fluery,tie domi and many more these have fought some big guys and have done very dam well the question is who is the toughest little guy.

have not read the thread, so i am sure I am repeating this.

Stan Jonathan.

George McPhee

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Stan Jonathan was 5'8", 170 or so pounds, and was the toughest guy (little or big) on a Bruins team that had Terry O'Reilly, Al Secord, Wayne Cashman and John Wensink. He just may have been the toughest guy in the league back then (Don Cherry certainly felt so). Pound for pound he's easily the best fighter of all time. He was also a 20 goal scorer twice, and played left wing for HOF center Jean Ratelle.

straka91*

Domi... 5'8 (listed at 5'10) and was the best checker in the league and dropping the gloves against the best fighters. He should be number one without a doubt.

JOHNBOY

BUFFALO SABRES
Sep 30, 2003
Denver NC
smallest guy in the NHL is certainly one of the grittiest and one day will be unleashed:

NATHAN "NATE NASTY" GERBE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad