Toughest Little Guy (5'9" or under)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
Bicycle Repairman said:
Garry Howatt of the Islanders gets my vote.

This is easy: Henri Richard. He once punched the lights out on John Ferguson, suppossed the toughest guy of his era, during a scrimmage. Richard didn't have a big rep because he was so tough that no one would mess with him.

Phaneuf*

John McKenzie, 5'9", 180 pounds. 917 total PIM. 474 carrer points.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Toonces said:
Steve Sullivan.

TSN lists him at 5'9, 155, but that's a stretch. He may be 155 pounds, but he is no bigger than 5'6.

Gotta admire guys who can make it to the NHL with such small frames.
:amazed: wow.. I learned something new today. thats amazing. 73 points at 155... that gives lanky people like me hope. :yo:

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
Bicycle Repairman said:
Garry Howatt of the Islanders gets my vote.

The more I think about it, the sillier this thread gets. Being 5-9 thirty years ago when the average player was 5-10, 175 pounds is completely different than today when the average player is over 6 feet and 200 pounds. How can you possibly compare?

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Taranis_24 said:
Again, maybe some of you guys are really young, but no love for Marcel Dionne, come on.
It wasnt best player under 5'9 it was the toughest player under 5'9. Marcel's name did come up in a discussion for best player to wear the no 16 and deservesly so. he was a great great player.

Spooky371*

Saku Koivu are 5'10 but he hit everytimes he can.

Franics Bouillon.. humm.. Théo Fleury yes.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Reveille! said:
Yeah, seriously. One of my favorite players, too (and I'm a Rangers fan).

What a little sparkplug. I remember when he CREAMED Preems when they played Philly last year. What a freakin' hit.

My favorite hit of all time is from the ECF finals in 2003 when little Brian Gionta got really low and skated through Chara's legs, knocked him straight over.

He might be 5'7", but he still took out Chara.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
toughest is jonathan...

my favorite is robbie dimaio- that guy is the ultimate hockey player's player. i can't imagine he's bigger than 5'8" or 5'9", but i'd take this guy on my team any day of the week. some decent skills, but a heart the size of texas, and would take on anyone.

ManuelCalavera

La-La-La-Locked Out
Apr 7, 2003
Rochester, NY
Visit site
DisgruntledHawkFan said:
Scott Nichol now... hate the guy but he plays like a big man.

I was gonna say him. As a Sabre fan, saw him in the farm system and saw him absolutely destroy Connolly. It was gonna happen sooner or later, but that was a punishing hit on him... At least he's playing hockey again... Poor guy couldnt focus his eyes to read for about 6 months...

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
arnie said:
The more I think about it, the sillier this thread gets. Being 5-9 thirty years ago when the average player was 5-10, 175 pounds is completely different than today when the average player is over 6 feet and 200 pounds. How can you possibly compare?
Humour me then.

Howatt was a name I pulled out of the Way-Back Machine to get the ball rolling. He was a pretty tough little sumbeach. Complete kamikaze who took on all the big oafs of the day. Overcame some significant medical problems to make it to the show.

bernsy74

Jul 1, 2003
Toonces said:
Steve Sullivan.

TSN lists him at 5'9, 155, but that's a stretch. He may be 155 pounds, but he is no bigger than 5'6.

Gotta admire guys who can make it to the NHL with such small frames.

I personally know Steve and he is 5'9". He's pretty tough, you have to be to play at that level at his size, but he wouldn't rank as the toughest.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
When you talk tough little guys, you have to include Henri Richard, the same guy I mentionned in the #16 thread. He was about 5'8" and maybe 160 lbs. Teams thought that they could get his brother Maurice off his game by roughing up his little brother. The story I heard was that one night early in his career, he made a point of fighting Boston's 3 toughest players at the time, Leo Labine,Fern Flaman and I have no idea who the 3rd was. I don't know if he won every fight, but no one picked on him again. If you want to talk determination in a hockey player, this guy was a poster child. He was emabarassed one night when JC Tremblay declined Vic Hadfield's challenge and jumped Hadfield. He took a beating from the bigger, younger Hadfield but he made his point. Eddie Shack head butted him in a fight one night, and I think it was after there retirement when they did commercials together before Shack felt safe around the guy again. Keep in mind that he wasn't there to fight, he was a great player who just never backed down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->