Helene St. James Tough Sledding

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Because he has no offense in his game. Does anyone believe he does? I remember when he scored those two playoff goals and a bunch of people went into a frenzy about him being a top-6 winger. Problem was, those were two very flukey goals, and it was obvious even then that the guy had no offense.

Not that it isn't true of every guy, but he was a pretty nice offensive player at lower levels. I am surprised he has this much trouble, but I think TFC is correct in pointing out his release as a trouble spot and it has gotten progressively worse as he has starting gripping the stick too hard over the last couple years.

I never really thought he would be more than a pretty useful bottom six player. But I have to admit I thought he would have a couple big 40 point years over his career where he had some puck luck and what not. That appears impossible to see these days, I still think he has a little more talent than people around here think and his versatility shouldn't be dismissed. No way do I keep a Miller or Eaves over Gator.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
They are bigger than the 5'11'' 175 that Tatar rings up at. And I think Cleary is a prime example of what happens when smaller guys consistently try to play a bigger game. You can't tell me that part of the reason he's had such a hard time staying healthy is that he's played a game his body wasn't suited for.

And I agree, I'd put Tatar or Gus on Datsyuk's wing now.
I said this a month ago citing that the puck control on that line would be ridiculous but got laughed at because that line would be toosmall. Because, you know, Abdelkader and Dan Cleary are realgood.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I didn't see a lot of Abdelkader in college. But I know he scored clutch goals. Then he comes up for the playoffs and scores goals. (now he's 16 playoff games without a point!)

I can't remember the last non-goon Red Wing with so little skill.

Uhhhh. Matt Ellis?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I said this a month ago citing that the puck control on that line would be ridiculous but got laughed at because that line would be toosmall. Because, you know, Abdelkader and Dan Cleary are realgood.

Who laughed? I think plenty of people on this board have been clamoring for Nyquist/Tatar to be given some real time with Datsyuk.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Who laughed? I think plenty of people on this board have been clamoring for Nyquist/Tatar to be given some real time with Datsyuk.
I forget, it was in the post your own line-up thread ages ago. They both can create their own offense and get open for Datsyuk. Yea, yea I know Datsyuk likes to play with "big bodies" but that just equates to him doing all the work himself and using Abdlekader as a backboard.

Babcock can try to "grind" out wins all he wants but this team isn't built to "grind." Now, if he's gonna "grind" it out to get Seth Jones I won't argue...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I didn't see a lot of Abdelkader in college. But I know he scored clutch goals. Then he comes up for the playoffs and scores goals. (now he's 16 playoff games without a point!)

I can't remember the last non-goon Red Wing with so little skill.

Player A first 37 playoff games as a Wing: 3G 2A 5P
Player B first 37 playoff games as a Wing: 3G 9A 12P

No doubt player B is better of course 6 of those assists came in a primary top 6 role. As player B is of course Datsyuk. So Abdelkader has scored exactly as many goals as Datsyuk to this point in their playoff careers, he is certainly trending the wrong way, just pointing out this playoff point on Abdelkader while alarming is something to be careful on really stamping on. Especially given the leeway you give one of the slowest starting superstars playoff careers ever, hopping up and down mad when it is suggested Zetterberg is a better playoff player.

RedWingsNow*

Player A first 37 playoff games as a Wing: 3G 2A 5P
Player B first 37 playoff games as a Wing: 3G 9A 12P

No doubt player B is better of course 6 of those assists came in a primary top 6 role. As player B is of course Datsyuk. So Abdelkader has scored exactly as many goals as Datsyuk to this point in their playoff careers, he is certainly trending the wrong way, just pointing out this playoff point on Abdelkader while alarming is something to be careful on really stamping on. Especially given the leeway you give one of the slowest starting superstars playoff careers ever, hopping up and down mad when it is suggested Zetterberg is a better playoff player.

What the heck are you talking about?:laugh:
How many times have I said to you ... "Your opinion on THIS is faulty because you also have this opinion."

You guys can't help yourselves, can you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad