Post-Game Talk (GBU): Tough loss

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
Meh

We played good hockey for the 1st and 3rd. This team is far beyond my expectations so I can’t complain.

If we are still comfortably in the playoff picture come the TDL I might entertain trading one of the firsts for help. But that seems highly unlikely.

We have a long way too go but we have come a LONG WAY!

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I thought they played a quality game. They were better than the Caps.

Good:
-I liked most of our defensemen, to be honest.
-Transition game was very good.
-Speed.

Bad:
-No finish.
-Didn't like Dahlin, particularly on GA1.
-Hutton on GA2.

Only U entries I've got are the main board takes on Dahlin's "dirty" dive onto Holtby. The delusion is astounding.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
We are still playing reasonably well but not getting the timely goal. the lucky bounce, the game saving stop. We started to have overly ambitious expectations that fly in the face of what was reasonable this year. I suspect I was one of those guys. Now we are distraught/ depressed because the Sabres are not living up to those unrealistic expectations. When the season began I wanted to see the Sabres get into the playoffs, have a winning record at home and play well against the Leafs--and continue to improve. That is still my bottom line.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I thought they played a quality game. They were better than the Caps.

Good:
-I liked most of our defensemen, to be honest.
-Transition game was very good.
-Speed.

Bad:
-No finish.
-Didn't like Dahlin, particularly on GA1.
-Hutton on GA2.

Only U entries I've got are the main board takes on Dahlin's "dirty" dive onto Holtby. The delusion is astounding.
I initially thought Dahlin did something dirty when it first happened. But watching the replay angle right behind Dahlin you can clearly see Eller shove him in line with Holtby. Otherwise he would have missed.

Reactions: DJN21

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I initially thought Dahlin did something dirty when it first happened. But watching the replay angle right behind Dahlin you can clearly see Eller shove him in line with Holtby. Otherwise he would have missed.

Hell, the only reason he goes airborne is because Eller chops his feet.

Eller did what any defensive player would do in that situation. I'm not faulting him. But there are people legitimately taking a hard stance against Dahlin for that sequence. It's obnoxious.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
This team needs to go to the net harder. No problem with Dahlin getting in there. Obviously don’t want to hurt anyone but driving the net like that is commendable

Last edited:
Reactions: Buffaloed

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
That one hurts, we were playing top class hockey in the third until we tied it. Thought Thompson was a real difference maker at times.

Overall I thought it was one of our very best efforts all year, absolutely loved the D unit.

I am wondering just how lethal that shot of Thompson's is....If he can get a legitimate centerman it would be interesting to see if would start finding the back of the net more.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Holtby was the main difference tonight. He played awesome. Couldn’t get anything past him. He saw almost every shot cleanly.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
wait...okposo played tonight? Honestly hadn't thought of it until I saw his name previously mentioned lol. Good grief that's a wasted boatload of money.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
We need an offensive contributor in the bottom 9 asap. We do not even have a top 6, we have a top line and a bottom 9.

We need to be able spread Eichel, Skinner and Reinhart in the top 6. But Eichel and Skinner are magic and Sam really has not produced without Jack centering him.

Bring up Nylander for trash Elie or start moving some of the 2nds/surplus prospects for some immediate help.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Thompson needs to be in Rochester. Smith needs to be on this team. Girgensons needs to never be scratched. Sobotka needs a cannon capable of getting him to the sun...

Hutton needs to own this one, and I'm sure he does becauase he's a straightforward level-headed guy, that play took the wind from our sails.

Not a bad game from the guys at all but lots of small bads to point out. Cant live with 1 line and it showed...on to the next one...

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
imo the disappiontment I feel wrt Sheary stems from the fact that he's not in his right role. Can't reasonably expect him to do what he isn't really capable of

Conversely others in the middle 9 are capable of much more and aren't pulling their weight

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Odd game to single out Sheary. He played very well
agreed. that was one of his best games of the year. Created lots of good scoring chances and drew 2 penalties.

The power play was pretty brutal tonight. That was definitely a difference maker.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Thought they looked pretty good. Need a bit more pressure in front but I thought they looked solid, bottom 9 looked better imo.. we still need some new talent, trade Okposo and picks if ya wanna win this year (as well as take pressure off Mitts), but that's a loss I can stomach at least.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Yeah, they're just clearly not good enough. I don't know what more needs to happen.

They need a proven 2nd line center but I don't think Botts feels like he has to go trading for one considering this is still a building season. It all depends on whether or not Mitts can turn it around before the deadline, if not maybe the Sabres bring somebody in to fill his spot for a year or two.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Could we get O'Reilly back and just have him sit on a different bench, use a different locker room, team bus, hotel, plane....?

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Just outplayed the defending cup champions, lost 2-1, Holtby was great... tip your cap, come home and get 2 points from Anaheim.... honestly this team is playing great against tough competition, can’t hate on anything going on right now, no one expected them to be 7th in the league in points... hell if we weren’t in Atlantic this team would 1st or 2nd in any other division atm.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Could we get O'Reilly back and just have him sit on a different bench, use a different locker room, team bus, hotel, plane....?
There’s a thread for that deal but I’d like to think it was the Pegulas losing patience with the rebuild and takibg serious offense with his comments since they picked him as a well payed leader for the young team.

Also, winning is what builds a good culture. I don’t think there’s much trouble on a winning team.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Three things stuck out to me in this one
1. Reinhart was awful with the puck in this one
2. Our middle six can't score a goal
3 One bad play by Hutton costs the Sabers a point.

HM Dahlin didnt have his best game.

Its time Hously starts benching some players and call up some kids. I'd personally bench Sobotka and Thompson, call up Nylander and Olofsson and move Okposso to the fourth line for a game. Give them a wake up call.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad