Tough goaltender decision?

DRReclusive

Feb 7, 2006
White Rock
I have a wonderful chance to pick any of these three goaltenders next year, in my keeper pool.

1.) Henrik Lundqvist :bow:

2.) Cam Ward :yo:

3.) Hannu Toivonen :handclap:

I watched all three play last year, and have come to the decision that Lundqvist may be the best out of all of them, but I still find myself second guessing... :dunno:

In your guys opinion, who will be the stellar goalie for years to come? :help:

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
I think Lundqvist should be undisputed #1 at this point, people seem to get caught up in his last 10 games of the year where he was hurt.

Lundqvist

Ward
Toivonen

NeonDion

Jun 21, 2006
It's tough to argue with a Conn Smythe tropy so for me I'd say Ward.

Lundqvist is a good goaltender to have during the regular season, but I'm not sure he can be the type of goalie to carry a team on his back through the playoffs.

From what I saw of Toivonen, he seemed to be absolutely stellar. However, how will he be after recovering form his injury?

So in my mind:
Ward (safe, solid, excellent fundamentals, calm demeanor)
Toivonen ( Excellent reflexes, size, good agility, Finnish factor)
Lundqvist ( A little undersized, struggled throught the playoffs)

I don't know what a keeper pool is though so this may not be all that useful to you.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Lundqvist is a good goaltender to have during the regular season, but I'm not sure he can be the type of goalie to carry a team on his back through the playoffs.

Where in the world does this crap come from? The guy played hurt and played behind a completely collapsing Ranger team.

The guy won the Olympic gold medal and was fantastic in the tournament.

He's dominated in Sweden the past few seasons as well.

I mean, where did you think of this? Did you base your opinion solely on him playing at probably around 50% on a team going down the *******?

Ridiculous!

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Where in the world does this crap come from? The guy played hurt and played behind a completely collapsing Ranger team.

The guy won the Olympic gold medal and was fantastic in the tournament.

He's dominated in Sweden the past few seasons as well.

I mean, where did you think of this? Did you base your opinion solely on him playing at probably around 50% on a team going down the *******?

Ridiculous!

and he's apparently undersized. despite being the same size as cam ward and just an inch shorter than toivonen.

yeah

octopus1z

Dec 27, 2004
To be honest, i dont understand where all this ward love comes from...i mean i understand to a degree, i watched the playoffs, i thought he was phenomenal, and the CS was deserved, but thats not that many games, and its not the same thing as a long season of play. He wasnt that good in the games that he played in the regular season. He wasnt expected to be THE guy in the playoffs, i dont understand how all of a sudden, he is the man according to so many people. Goalie is a position where players get hot and go on streaks, especially in the playoffs. Remember J.S. Giguerre's(sp?) run...i mean J.S. is alright, but he isnt the second coming of Patrick Roy, which going by that one playoff year many here would seem to think that he would be.

Out of the three choices, as much as i dont like the Rags, i would have to say that Lundqvist is the best bet, as he put it together for a full season, and when healthy in an important tournament (Olympics) was still able to maintain that level of play.

bigjags*

Ward in a heartbeat. To win the cup and CS as a rookie is unreal.

The last to do that? Roy. Brodeur was only one year removed from being a rookie when he won the cup too. That's good company.

King Henry is good too..

But don't pick Toivenen. Boston is a goalie grave yard. When was the last time they had a good goalie Dafoe? :biglaugh:

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
I don't really understand how Lundqvist isn't number 1 on every list. The guy was hurt at the end of the year and for the playoffs, before that if I'm not mistaken he was just under .930 sv% and around 2.20 (I think) GAA, that's unbelievable for a rookie. I understand that Ward was pretty much a stone wall in the playoffs (believe me, I remember) and it's amazing for a rookie to be that calm under pressure and lead his team to a Stanley Cup championship. I realize that the playoffs are all that matter but playing the way he played for most of the regular season, most teams wouldn't have even made the playoffs. And at this point Toivonen hasn't proven a whole lot to me when he has been healthy, and when he was healthy he still wasn't as good as Lundqvist IMO.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Lundqvist
Toivunen

Ward

Seriously, how the **** can you rate Cam Ward, the Conn Smythe Trophy, and Stanley Cup Winner that far behind Lundqvist, and Toivonen.

Those two might NEVER even make it to the Finals. Jeez guys, give your heads a shake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->