OT: Totally Legal Music Sharing Thread sponsored by Napster

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Wow. That’s so difficult I almost listed them unordered, but an attempt was made:
  1. Led zep
  2. The floyd
  3. Bob dylan
  4. The Beatles
  5. Radiohead
  6. Jeff Buckley
  7. Mark knopfler
  8. Kendrick Lamar
  9. Prince
  10. Nina Simone
  11. David Bowie
  12. Tom waits
  13. Lucinda Williams
  14. Tom petty
  15. Simon and Garfunkel
  16. Junior Kimbrough
  17. Phoebe Bridgers
  18. Kurt Vile
  19. Mac Miller
  20. Of Montreal
I was a pretty insufferable music nerd in my early twenties, but I don’t obsess like I used to anymore.

@RayMoonDoh

Thanks for your list, eclectic..I'm unfamiliar w/6-7 of them. Fun exercise eh?

50 yrs of hearing music & I've come to this conclusion (thus far, but subject to change after the Top8). 1-8 are locked in & I don't anticipate any band displacing them. I've taken into account:
(in no particular order/value)

peak
volume(s) of unreleased/ rarities/outtakes/sessions/demos etc.
lyrics & their meaning; theme of instrumentals/LP. what message are they trying to send us?
overall vibe & coolness factor
sing-a-long ability of a song(s)
longevity
impact on culture & current/future generations
impact on music industry
# of hits
# of good & great LP's/CD's
Album cover artwork
& most importantly how they sound & make you feel.

1. The Beatles
2. The Rolling Stones
3. Led Zeppelin
4. Yes (1971-1980)
5. The Who (1965-1982)
6. Jimi Hendrix (Experience/Band of Gypsys/Solo work & w/numerous other artists, pre & post fame)
__________________________________________________________________________________
7. The Doors
8. Rush
__________________________________________________________________________________
9. Van Halen (1977-1984). HM to Van Hagar's 1st 2 LP's. ('86-'88)
10. Pink Floyd
11. Muse
12. Nirvana
13. Bob Marley
14.Eric Clapton (Cream, Derek & The Dominos, solo etc.)
15. David Bowie - some high end stuff, but also lots of crap. (70's-- ~84ish was the best)
16. The Kinks
17. Aerosmith
18. Peter Gabriel (1st 5 solo LP's)
19. NIN
20. The Beach Boys
21. U2
22. Cake
23. G 'n R
24. CCR
25. Boston

Last edited:

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
@RayMoonDoh

Thanks for your list, eclectic..I'm unfamiliar w/6-7 of them. Fun exercise eh?

50 yrs of hearing music & I've come to this conclusion (thus far, but subject to change after the Top8). 1-8 are locked in & I don't anticipate any band displacing them. I've taken into account:
(in no particular order/value)

peak
volume(s) of unreleased/ rarities/outtakes/sessions/demos etc.
lyrics & their meaning; theme of instrumentals/LP. what message are they trying to send us?
overall vibe & coolness factor
sing-a-long ability of a song(s)
longevity
impact on culture & current/future generations
impact on music industry
# of hits
# of good & great LP's/CD's
Album cover artwork
& most importantly how they sound & make you feel.

1. The Beatles
2. The Rolling Stones
3. Led Zeppelin
4. Yes (1971-1980)
5. The Who
6. Jimi Hendrix (Experience/Band of Gypsys/Solo work & w/numerous other artists, pre & post fame)
7. The Doors
8. Rush
9. Van Halen (1977-1984). HM to Van Hagar's 1st 2 LP's. ('86-'88)
10. Pink Floyd
11. Muse
12. Nirvana
13. Bob Marley
14.Eric Clapton (Cream, Derek & The Dominos, solo etc.)
15. David Bowie - some high end stuff, but also lots of crap. (70's-early-ish 80's was the best)
16. The Kinks
17. Aerosmith
18. Peter Gabriel (1st 5 solo LP's)
19. NIN
20. The Beach Boys
21. U2
22.G 'n R
23. Ozzy maybe?

...work in progress, 23-25 TBD.
That’s a great list!! I see a few on yours that I foolishly left off of mine. I mostly went with your final criteria (how they make you feel/impact) with mine.

Top 4 are locked in for me

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
celebrity dopplegangers

Capture.PNG

John Lennon upside down looks like Paul McCartney

Capture.PNG

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
The Stones have great unreleased material in their vaults that is better than most of the music played on the radio and better than the best from most bands.
xlarge

Last edited:
Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
The Stones have great unreleased material in their vaults that is better than most of the music played on the radio.
xlarge

My brother-in-Music-Law: Fil Larkmanthanasiou !

I have all the mainstream vinyl from '63-'83's UnderCover (last good album). +most CD's.
95% of all Digital '62-'83 + a few dozen outtakes/unreleased etc. from '85-'93 & '02 40 Licks Sessions etc. I don't care much for any "newer" stuff ('84-present), but will listen to it 1x & make a judgement call, to either add to library or skip/delete it.

85-90% of all Unreleased on digital.

I've been working on a list of unreleased/uber-rare etc. (found 300+) & that I've widdled down to ~80-120. (a few tracks are on bootlegs/but not mainstream LP's. , however most are not ANYWHERE to be found, in any trading circles, fansites, ....there are many sources.

Last edited:

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
My brother-in-Music-Law: Fil Larkmanthanasiou !

I have all the mainstream vinyl from '63-'83's UnderCover (last good album). +most CD's.
95% of all Digital '62-'83 + a few dozen outtakes/unreleased etc. from '85-'93 & '02 40 Licks Sessions etc. I don't care much for any "newer" stuff ('84-present), but will listen to it 1x & make a judgement call, to either add to library or skip/delete it.

85-90% of all Unreleased on digital.

I've been working on a list of unreleased/uber-rare etc. that I've widdled down to ~80-120. (some tracks are on bootlegs/but not mainstream LP's. , however most are not ANYWHERE to be found, in any trading circles, fansites, Guitars101, YT,....I have at least 12+ sources.

Are you on IORR?
Wow.
I am not on IORR but I will have to check it out.
I bought a lot of bootlegs in the 80s. Loved going to record stores looking for them

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
check your DM's in 1 min.
Thanks a lot.
I do like their newer stuff as well. Living in a Ghost Town is a great song about the lockdowns.
Deep Love was recorded in 85 and must not have been completed at the time to not have been included on Dirty Work. One Hit (to the Body) and Dirty Work (very underrated track) are the only songs on the album that are close to being as good.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Thanks a lot.
I do like their newer stuff as well. Living in a Ghost Town is a great song about the lockdowns.
Deep Love was recorded in 85 and must not have been completed at the time to not have been included on Dirty Work. One Hit (to the Body) and Dirty Work (very underrated track) are the only songs on the album that are close to being as good.
ok, now check your DM's

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
I know that mostly lean towards interesting covers, 70th rock and progressive rock but mostly I can find something interesting in most kind of music so I will kick my contribution of this thread of with a couple of acts/songs that you might now have heard of (but probably not) that I have on one of my more frequently played lists at the moment and hope you guys like some of them :)

LOK - A swedish band that after over 20 years apart finally got back together again.. Style is..Think RATM in Swedish

Movitz! - Second swedish contribution with a mix of hip hop, funk and pop?

Ghost - Another Swedish "band" that reminds alot of 70s rock, probably the most mainstream I'll share in this post

Steve ´n´ Seagulls - Finnish bluegrassband that plays metal covers.. Totally awsome in my mind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Ao-iNPPUc

Ending with a Canadian band, The Dead South.. again bluegrass, it's just so damn catchy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9FzVhw8_bY

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Detroit's hardcore pioneers are on tour with the Circle Jerks. Oddly enough, no Motown gigs scheduled from what I see. I enjoy a full album that clocks in under 17 minutes.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Sigur Ros' live album DVD Heima is one of my favorites of all time. They toured their home of Iceland and recorded the beautiful vistas and held concerts for the folks. When I heard they were remastering it, I was ready to buy the damn thing again. But the mad lads have just been releasing it bit by bit on their YouTube channel.

One of their most popular and gorgeous songs.

This one is a slow burn but if you're into a steady build postrock experience, you're in for a treat.

Reactions: NervousPerson

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I was a stranger
When I came to town
Just yesterday
I was a stranger
They don't come much stranger
So why
Why would you believe
All every word I said
Why would you believe
Believe a stranger
A stranger
And why do you, women in this town
Let me look at you so bold
When you have seen what I was
In the last town
In the last town
You should have seen what I was
If I was a stranger
I was worse than a stranger
I was, I was well-known

Reactions: NervousPerson

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

One fine morning
I'm going to ride out
One fine morning
I'm going to ride out
Just me and the skeleton crew
We're gonna ride out in a country kind of silence
We're gonna ride out in a country silence
Yeah, one fine morning
Yeah, it's all coming back to me now
My apocalypse
My apocalypse
The curtain rose and burned in the morning sun
The curtain rose and burned in the morning sun
And the mountains
And the mountains bowed down
In the morning sun
Like a ballet of the heart
And the mountains bowed down like a ballet
In the morning sun
And the baby and we all lay in state
And the baby and we all lay in state
And I said "Hey, no more drovering"
I say "Hey, no more drovering"
When the earth turns cold
And the earth turns black
Will I feel you riding on my back?
When the earth turns cold
And the earth turns black
Will I feel you riding on my back?
And for I am a part of the road
Yeah, I am a part of the road
The hardest part
The hardest part
My apocalypse

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Dropped an excessive amount this morning on a limited Iron Maiden FC exclusive box set of the new album Senjutsu. One item included is a kitana handle. A full sword would be killer. You only live once! Up the Irons!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad