Total gate revenues - You'd be surprised

Status
Not open for further replies.

YellHockey*

DownFromNJ said:
Yes they are converted (by THN, not by me). The Canadian Dollar is a huge part of the reason why Calgary and Edmonton can't make much money, Montreal too.

Then why is Ottawa, a market the same size as Edmonton or Calgary and significantly smaller then Montreal, up near the top for revenues?

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
triggrman said:
I've read that Detroit lost 13M last season, which would be 3M more than Nashville.

They also generated more than double Nashville's revenue. If they choose to spend more than they make, that's their problem. They shouldn't be punished because other teams can't carry their weight.

Last edited:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
hockeytown9321 said:
They also generated more than double Nashville's revenue. If they choose to spend more than they make, that's their problem. They shouldn't be punished because other teams can't carry their weight.

How is a salary cap punishing them? They can still by the best coaches, GM, and scouts, but now they won't be killing the rest of the league with insane salaries.

Do you fear the level playing field?

Nashville didn't generate much, but they kept their salaries low enough that it wouldn't kill them. Remember only Pittsburg had a lower salary.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
triggrman said:
How is a salary cap punishing them? They can still by the best coaches, GM, and scouts, but now they won't be killing the rest of the league with insane salaries.

Nashville didn't generate much, but they kept their salaries low enough that it wouldn't kill them. Remember only Pittsburg had a lower salary.

Thats all well and good, but a cap doesn't level the playing field. You can't equalize talent and thosw with more talent are going to suffer more under a cap than those with less. Its fact.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
hockeytown9321 said:
Thats all well and good, but a cap doesn't level the playing field. You can't equalize talent and thosw with more talent are going to suffer more under a cap than those with less. Its fact.
No you can’t equate talent with payroll. It does level the playing field.

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
go kim johnsson said:
I know Calgary cut off it's upper deck until they made the playoffs this season, which takes out a sizeable chunk of their revenue when you don't sell that many tickets because you choose not to.

The dome cut off its upper deck (close to 1000 seats i think... a little lower) for the regular season because not enough people were buying them... they would have lost less money buy shutting down the upper deck than operating the upper deck..

hmm.. that sounds oddly familiar to this lockout

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
You made over $20M last season, you should be in the top 5 :innocent:
Sure they made 20 million last year, afterall the books had to be opened to impress potential buyers. The cynic in me says the Canucks would have claimed losses just like alot of other teams last year, had the owner/s not been looking to sell....

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
triggrman said:
No you can’t equate talent with payroll. It does level the playing field.

So teams will be able to build a dynasty under a cap?

Its impossible, and I'm not going to go through the laundry list of reasons why again, if you want them go through my old posts. If not, go ahead and continue to be uninformed, I don't care.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
triggrman said:
It has Nashville only losing 2.8M, Detroit losing 13.7M

So you've said. It doesn't change the fact that Detroit produces well over double the revenue of Nashville. It also doesn't change the fact that the Red Wings chose to pay what they did, knowing the risks that went along with it.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Funny last I check the Redwings were locking there players out too.

If my company makes more than yours but I spend more than I make what does it matter?

I'm not going to convence a Detroit fan of this though, he's used to just going out and buying bandaids.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
triggrman said:
Funny last I check the Redwings were locking there players out too.

If my company makes more than yours but I spend more than I make what does it matter?

I'm not going to convence a Detroit fan of this though, he's used to just going out and buying bandaids.

See, this is what I mean about being uninformed. Go look at GoCoyote's CBA solution and find out where the Red Wings rank in terms of players they didn't develop. You'll be quite surprised.

And if you did a little more research, you'd know that Ilitch is among the group of 7-8 owners not in favor of a cap.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Someone should do this for luxury suites too. I think the Sabres have something like 80 suites that go for $80,000 per year. It's probably much higher at other arenas.

Feb 12, 2003
hockeytown9321 said:
See, this is what I mean about being uninformed. Go look at GoCoyote's CBA solution and find out where the Red Wings rank in terms of players they didn't develop. You'll be quite surprised.

And if you did a little more research, you'd know that Ilitch is among the group of 7-8 owners not in favor of a cap.

Detroit hasn't been innocent by a long shot, although anyone who has been a contender the past few years (NJ, DET, COL) has managed their team better than most.

I hate the Wings, but they get a worse rap for signing guys, and they actually get much the same benefit that Colorado got last year with Kariya. By being a winner, they attract talent that signs at a lesser than market value in some cases. Even at that, Detroit is the sixth worst team in terms of developing from within, and it's not surprising that other spenders like TOR, PHI, DAL, STL, and NYR are the others.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
BlackRedGold said:
Then why is Ottawa, a market the same size as Edmonton or Calgary and significantly smaller then Montreal, up near the top for revenues?

Ottawa's average ticket price 52.36 $
Montreal's average ticket price 40.84 $

Georgie we love ya !

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
hockeytown9321 said:
So teams will be able to build a dynasty under a cap?

Its impossible, and I'm not going to go through the laundry list of reasons why again, if you want them go through my old posts. If not, go ahead and continue to be uninformed, I don't care.

Past dynasties were built from sound talent evaluation, good coaching and smart hockey. Or in the Habs case, they had first pick of the litter on any French player in Quebec.

It would seem that having cost certainty in the league isn't meant to guarantee that teams won't move or fold if there is not enough interest (Panthers or Hurricanes perhaps), rather to insure that hockey can eventually generate enough interest around the league that it can begin to make money on things like TV deals. I can understand in theory why a player might not want to ever limit his eventual salary... but looking at the choices, it seems short sighted to say no to extremely good money and a chance to set the players mark on things like games played, new UFA rules and the actual earnings of NHL teams being released to the public.

It is greed not to agree at some point to define a ceiling on what one may rightfully earn from playing hockey. It's not like they are being limited from ever earning more money should they wish it... kind of like the rest of us.

Would anyone here decline to sign a contract limiting their annual income to 5 million dollars a year?

Hmm

rafal majka

Sep 29, 2004
quat said:
It is greed not to agree at some point to define a ceiling on what one may rightfully earn.

"As a wage earner it's my right to prostitute myself for as much as I can get - no ceiling."

Ted Lindsay

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
hockeytown9321 said:

Please show me a quote from Ilitch saying he doesn't want a cap, or that he doesn't mind loosing this much money annually. If he does he's an idiot, and shouldn't own a team. Fact, one team does heavily influence the salaries around the rest of the league. So Detroit not caring about their salaries and losing money hurts the rest of the league. The NHL needs fiscally responsible owners to survive. It doesn't kill Craig to loose a few, they have plenty of money (as much as Ilitch) but that's not why he got into the NHL. I understand Ilitch isn't much liked by Tiger fans See Groin why is that? Why was he in favor of the salary cap in baseball but not in hockey (GS was the only voter to vote against tax) Was it because in baseball he can't keep up with GS, so it's at his disadvantage?

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
triggrman said:
Please show me a quote from Ilitch saying he doesn't want a cap, or that he doesn't mind loosing this much money annually. If he does he's an idiot, and shouldn't own a team. Fact, one team does heavily influence the salaries around the rest of the league. So Detroit not caring about their salaries and losing money hurts the rest of the league. The NHL needs fiscally responsible owners to survive. It doesn't kill Craig to loose a few, they have plenty of money (as much as Ilitch) but that's not why he got into the NHL. I understand Ilitch isn't much liked by Tiger fans See Groin why is that? Why was he in favor of the salary cap in baseball but not in hockey (GS was the only voter to vote against tax) Was it because in baseball he can't keep up with GS, so it's at his disadvantage?

Ilitch can't quote directly becuase of the threat of a $1 million fine, but here's a couple articles for you to read:

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/9684144.htm?1c

http://www.detnews.com/2004/wings/0409/30/d06-284751.htm

Ilitch wasn't popular with Tiger fans because the team was horrid. Its a big misconception he didn't spend money on them. Until about 2 years ago, their payroll was roughly the same as the Red Wings. He had bad management in place, and that management spent his money unwisely. They were paying Damion Easley $12 million a year. A couple years ago they hired Dave Dombroski, who is competent, and they've improved. Its not George Steinbrenner's fault the Tiger's were paying Damion Easley $12 million a year.

You're also not realizing that while Detroit may have lost money the last two years, they made alot in 2002. And again, they know the possible consequences of having a high payroll.

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
triggrman said:

If there is a salary cap (big if), I would find it interesting how much more teams may spend on GM's, coaches and scouts. I'm pretty sure that right now coaches in the NHL make far less than their counterparts in the NFL, MLB and NBA. Bowman only got a little more than a million a year.

If say Detroit couldn't spend as much on players, I could see Illitch spending just as much money. But on other things like a better coach, scouting staff etc.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
triggrman said:

im a canes fan, and im against a hard cap. its not about a level playing field - its about the canes making 15 million a season. how is that number going to go up to cover the players costs? a cap isnt going help them in my opinion - a luxury tax would at least give them money to even out the disparity. if a team cant make enough money to cover 31 mill, why are they arguing they want a hard cap of 31mill? im not with the players but there is no way the owners are giving out all the numbers - cuz carolina wouldnt be such hard line cap people if the team wasnt able to cover the cost of the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad