Torts Reading The Riot Act on Duclair

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's weird that this is getting so much coverage, Torts always talks like that. Did Arpon Basu just have his first Torts experience?

But I also think it's weird that Torts uses the media this way. Remember, his job is to help players and help the team, not give quotes to the media or fans. This isn't supposed to be a reality show. I don't think keeping everything so public helps the players or the team.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Torts acts like a POS to certain players , and I will celebrate in the streets when he’s canned . Love the causes he’s involved in , and he’s probably a great dude , but his ship has sailed . He’s taken this team as far as he can . We need a coach that can relate to today’s game , and doesn’t squander skilled Wingers like Karlsson, Bjorkstrand , Milano, Duclair , and I would even add Wennberg into the mix . Perhaps the dude should look in the mirror , because his coaching is shit , more often than not . Coming from the same guy that took 2 years to get help , on the power play , because he doesn’t coach offense

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Another example of why a lot of vets don't like playing for him. Not that Duclair doesn't have flaws but doing in front of media is straight out of the 1980's.

Reactions: The Bread Man

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Another example of why a lot of vets don't like playing for him.

Would you do me a favor and list these players? Is this number higher or lower than other coaches in the league. Generally speaking, if you are a veteran, you aren't getting the type of critiques that Duclair received. Why? Well because you've actually hung around long enough to become a veteran. You kind of had to be doing something right.

I'll be honest. this felt like a last ditch effort to get Duclair's attention. I'm not sure Torts is that calculating, I tend to think he's just frustrated. Having said that, I'm not sure there was anything all the outrageous in what he said, it's just that he said them in public. I've certainly heard for more objectionable rants.

I'm not sure I'm ready to move on with Duclair, we'll see if the franchise is. Savard does not have a great deal of hockey sense (not much really), but with all the hard work the coaching staff has done they've turned him into a somewhat competent instinctual player. Basically they've substituted hockey sense with a great deal of repetition. I haven't really watched as much hockey this season as I've had, but what I've seen of Duclair he doesn't look hopeless. He certainly has more tools than Savard has.

As far as the future of Torts, he's our second best coach we've had. I wonder what GG could have done if we had given him more of a chance. Having said that, I'm not a fan of how he manages players during the game and he does it out coached on regular basis. Having said that most of the know coaches that would be better have been scooped up by other teams. With us being at the beginning of our window, this actually might be a decent time to take a chance on a more of an unknown - you can always find a pretty good veteran coach if things don't work out.

Reactions: Sore Loser and Monk

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Would you do me a favor and list these players? Is this number higher or lower than other coaches in the league. Generally speaking, if you are a veteran, you aren't getting the type of critiques that Duclair received. Why? Well because you've actually hung around long enough to become a veteran. You kind of had to be doing something right.

I'll be honest. this felt like a last ditch effort to get Duclair's attention. I'm not sure Torts is that calculating, I tend to think he's just frustrated. Having said that, I'm not sure there was anything all the outrageous in what he said, it's just that he said them in public. I've certainly heard for more objectionable rants.

I'm not sure I'm ready to move on with Duclair, we'll see if the franchise is. Savard does not have a great deal of hockey sense (not much really), but with all the hard work the coaching staff has done they've turned him into a somewhat competent instinctual player. Basically they've substituted hockey sense with a great deal of repetition. I haven't really watched as much hockey this season as I've had, but what I've seen of Duclair he doesn't look hopeless. He certainly has more tools than Savard has.

As far as the future of Torts, he's our second best coach we've had. I wonder what GG could have done if we had given him more of a chance. Having said that, I'm not a fan of how he manages players during the game and he does it out coached on regular basis. Having said that most of the know coaches that would be better have been scooped up by other teams. With us being at the beginning of our window, this actually might be a decent time to take a chance on a more of an unknown - you can always find a pretty good veteran coach if things don't work out.

Dubi admitted so when he was hired here. J Johnson on his way to Pittsburg. Panarin in one of his interviews said they were trying to work on their relationship. Those were 3 during his time here where vets admitted they didn't like him (Dubi was referring to his time previous).

Listen he's one of those guys that current players don't like. After time (reflection) a lot of guys understand what he was doing and appreciate him. But he's rough, blunt and accountable (some of those are good traits, others are very old school).

And being the 2nd best coach in history of one of the 10 worst franchises in North America isn't something to brag about (especially since only been in existence for 20 years). Like being the tallest midget.
Much like Hitch he had some success here and success in past with other teams.

Finally I disagree with "beginning of our window". Window may be closing losing 2 of 3 most decorated players. Guess we'll see next season what the core actually is, but I don't think many observors outside of area code 614 will see us as more than a #3 or Wild Card team next year even if we add Ducehene or Stone.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I think Torts needs to be a bit more careful. I understand what he was trying to do. But, particularly in today’s day and age with Twitter and the like, he has to be a bit more prudent.

I also think it has to be frustrating for Duclair that Nash/Wennberg haven’t been scratched even once. They may do the little things/intangibles right, but sitting them a game or two to “help find their offensive game” can’t hurt. Even if it’s not true, Duclair right now probably at least feels like Torts plays favorites and that can’t help the situation.

With that said, I hope Duclair heard/saw and didn’t just read Torts’s comments, because I think they came off harsher in print than when watching. His comments actually seemed, dare I say, a bit caring when watching them. Have no idea why that reporter Tweeted about it the way he did, but see paragraph 1.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Dubi admitted so when he was hired here. J Johnson on his way to Pittsburg. Panarin in one of his interviews said they were trying to work on their relationship. Those were 3 during his time here where vets admitted they didn't like him (Dubi was referring to his time previous).

These are very serious stretches.

Reactions: Sore Loser

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
The other main problem I have with the comments is, truth and/or effectiveness aside, people are now thinking of Duclair as a locker room cancer or real troublemaker. That’s not fair to him.

Either Svoboda or Hedger asked multiple CBJ players about him a couple days ago. “Awesome teammate” was the response. If a player didn’t want to rock the boat, he could have said, “good teammate” or something like that. Using the word “awesome” implies he, truly, is a really good teammate. But now you have people all over the place disparaging Duclair’s character. (And, in particular with the obvious elephant in the room involving Duclair, that’s really unfair.)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The other main problem I have with the comments is, truth and/or effectiveness aside, people are now thinking of Duclair as a locker room cancer or real troublemaker. That’s not fair to him.

Either Svoboda or Hedger asked multiple CBJ players about him a couple days ago. “Awesome teammate” was the response. If a player didn’t want to rock the boat, he could have said, “good teammate” or something like that. Using the word “awesome” implies he, truly, is a really good teammate. But now you have people all over the place disparaging Duclair’s character. (And, in particular with the obvious elephant in the room involving Duclair, that’s really unfair.)
That's because people don't have the ability or desire to comprehend the nuance in "good guy" versus "plays the right way on the ice". If you don't play the right way, it must be because you hate your teammates, and certainly not because of ingrained reflexive bad habits. :nod:

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
That's because people don't have the ability or desire to comprehend the nuance in "good guy" versus "plays the right way on the ice". If you don't play the right way, it must be because you hate your teammates, and certainly not because of ingrained reflexive bad habits. :nod:

I’m not saying those are Torts’s thoughts (in fact, I think quite the opposite). What I am saying is he should realize others will interpret it that way. As a coach, I think he needs to recognize that and be more wary of protecting his player from unnecessary scrutiny (both simply because it’s the right thing to do AND because I imagine it’s now a distraction for Duclair how people are talking about him).

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I’m not saying those are Torts’s thoughts (in fact, I think quite the opposite). What I am saying is he should realize others will interpret it that way. As a coach, I think he needs to recognize that and be more wary of protecting his player from unnecessary scrutiny (both simply because it’s the right thing to do AND because I imagine it’s now a distraction for Duclair how people are talking about him).
I think he does realize that, and that it's why he doesn't resort to this soft of thing all that often. Duclair's obviously been trying, but... well, as I've noted more than a few times, he's just got this "fish out of water" look to him any time he's in the defensive zone. He's hearing what's being said but it's not getting internalized. So at this point, maybe something radical is needed. I got a "I'm trying and he's trying but something isn't working" vibe from Torts in that video, so... :dunno:

Reactions: cslebn

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

I appreciate the response, I'm not sure I would use your examples to paint broad stokes. Now if we're going to be fair, I'm not sure Dubinsky and Johnson are really the two players that I would use to hold up as an example of the typical veteran. Dubinsky seems to be having some issues lately and we know that JJ had his off ice problems. Panarin is Panarin, I'm not sure you can put him in a type of box.

I'm sure Torts isn't the most fun head coach out there, but I haven't seen much to suggest players are actively avoiding him. Certainly nothing as broad the the term "veterans". It doesn't look like he's doing anything to alienate players like Jones, as an example. He's about a veteran on defense as you can get. I don't see revolts coming from players like Atkinson, Foligno, Savard, or Anderson.

Frankly, I might have done what Torts did if I had tried everything else. As I said, I'm not sure if Torts is that calculating. Let's be clear about one thing, however, I'm kind of over Torts so I'm not really rushing to his defense. I just try and be fair. Later.

Reactions: Sore Loser

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio

Listen he's one of those guys that current players don't like. After time (reflection) a lot of guys understand what he was doing and appreciate him. But he's rough, blunt and accountable (some of those are good traits, others are very old school).

And being the 2nd best coach in history of one of the 10 worst franchises in North America isn't something to brag about (especially since only been in existence for 20 years). Like being the tallest midget.
Much like Hitch he had some success here and success in past with other teams.

Finally I disagree with "beginning of our window". Window may be closing losing 2 of 3 most decorated players. Guess we'll see next season what the core actually is, but I don't think many observors outside of area code 614 will see us as more than a #3 or Wild Card team next year even if we add Ducehene or Stone.

Window just re-opened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad