Torts nominated for Jack Adams

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
In other news Torts' fate is sealed.

I don't know why you keep saying this. Tampa advancing and winning the cup has nothing to do with Torts and his status with the team. Hell, its more of a compliment than anything. If we were the better team and lost continuously , and the team that beat us lost in the next round convincingly, then yeah I'd see your point. We've been the underdog, and worst team, in every series Torts has coached for us (and in every series we've ever been in, for that matter).

Reactions: Nanabijou and ViD

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
You mean Terry Francona. He needs to put his health first and retire.

It was another Ohio team that made the mistake of keeping their coach on after he started 0-7 in the postseason.

When the Bengals lost in the wild card round in 2015 to the Steelers, Marvin Lewis being fired seemed like a sure thing. Especially after how they lost the game.

I picked Brian Kelly of Notre Dame to replace him, given his popularity in the city of Cincinnati having previously coached the Bearcats.

But to everyone's shock, Lewis was retained. That would come back to haunt Notre Dame as they regressed from a Fiesta Bowl appearance to 4-8 in 2016, which shockingly didn't cost Kelly his job. Though they have been to bowls every year since.

This decision hit the Bengals even harder. For the next three years, they fluctuated between 6 and 7 wins, finally parting ways with Lewis after 2018. But they fared even worse in 2019, winning only 2 games.

This serves as a cautionary tale against thinking constant failure in the postseason is OK, not a message a team wants to send.
Whatever the f*** you’re smoking you need to puff puff and pass it on. Coaches get hired to get hired so Torts’ days certainly might be numbered but to try to link it to losing to the Champs is a bizarre sort of reasoning I don’t see the logic in. If he gets fired it’ll be because of something actually connected to our team, not because of another team that won it all. And given he was a finalist for the Jack Adams this year I have my doubts he’s going anywhere.

Reactions: punk_o_holic

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
You mean Terry Francona. He needs to put his health first and retire.

It was another Ohio team that made the mistake of keeping their coach on after he started 0-7 in the postseason.

When the Bengals lost in the wild card round in 2015 to the Steelers, Marvin Lewis being fired seemed like a sure thing. Especially after how they lost the game.

I picked Brian Kelly of Notre Dame to replace him, given his popularity in the city of Cincinnati having previously coached the Bearcats.

But to everyone's shock, Lewis was retained. That would come back to haunt Notre Dame as they regressed from a Fiesta Bowl appearance to 4-8 in 2016, which shockingly didn't cost Kelly his job. Though they have been to bowls every year since.

This decision hit the Bengals even harder. For the next three years, they fluctuated between 6 and 7 wins, finally parting ways with Lewis after 2018. But they fared even worse in 2019, winning only 2 games.

This serves as a cautionary tale against thinking constant failure in the postseason is OK, not a message a team wants to send.
Yeah, I meant Tito. If his health is that bad, he should retire. I think with all he went through, he just doesn't want to chance getting the virus.

Tampa winning doesn't seal Tort's fate. As long as he has the locker room, and they keep making the playoffs, he should be alright. He still hasn't done anything to warrant a firing.

The Bengals owner is more of the problem than anything else. Mike Brown is a horrible owner.

I don't watch college football as much as I used to, but I always enjoy it when Notre Dame loses.

Failing 5 out of 6 years in the playoffs seemed to work out ok for the Lightning, especially after last years epic failure of losing to the team that lost to the team that lost to the cup winner, after having a record setting regular season. Cooper should have been fired 2 years ago according to your logic, but yet, they now have another cup.

Reactions: cslebn

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
You're all in denial about Torts is what it is.

He has only been past the second round twice in his coaching career.

I may get flak for saying this, being an American myself, but Americans just don't make good NHL coaches.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH

I may get flak for saying this, being an American myself, but Americans just don't make good NHL coaches.

I don't see Tortorella being fired by the Columbus Blue Jackets because the Tampa Bay Lightning won the Stanley Cup this year.

I'm not claiming Tortorella to be one of the greatest coaches alive either. Personally, I'm not a huge Tortorella fan. I think he has his faults to a certain extent.. But, I certainly think he will be the Columbus Blue Jacket's head coach to start the 2020-2021 NHL season.

Reactions: Madifer

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Two emojis for your two points.
:banghead: :banghead:

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things

I personally think he’s a good coach.

Having said that I just don’t think you’ve made a compelling argument as to why you think his job security is tied to losing to Tampa. Someone’s gotta do it, might as well be us if we aren’t going to actually be the Champs ourselves. From the rest of your posts it sounds like you just don’t like Torts and don’t want him as a coach. Which is a totally legit viewpoint, I just question the rationale behind it.

Reactions: Madifer and Viqsi

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

Sadly I think he is good enough for Columbus.
I think this organization is happy to be a playoff team. Good lord it took us a long time to even be there. The old commitment to mediocrity is gone. Now's it's the commitment to be average.

For an average team (Gritty, less offensive talent than what is optimal) I think Torts gets a lot of those type of teams.

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
This team totally overachieved this year. Before the season people thought we would be worse than New Jersey. And that was before all the injuries. You don’t fire a coach for overachieving. If you start firing coaches for doing better than expected, nobody worth hiring will accept a job working for you.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Furthermore, I was against the restart from the getgo because it meant playing in a non-traditional timeframe. I wouldn't have minded it so much if Tampa Bay didn't win the Cup.

I would have much rather have had the rest of the season canceled, and the offseason conducted as if the Stanley Cup was awarded in June, especially if I knew Columbus would again lose to the eventual Cup winners.

It's not like the NHL has never had a season where the Cup wasn't awarded. They have, 15 years ago when the lockout killed the entire season. As far as I know a pandemic is worse than a lockout, correct me if I'm wrong.

It's about time you all realize we will never get farther than our second series of the postseason while Torts is still in charge. He's only been past the conference semis twice in his career. I think the NHL should ban Americans from being head coach (to offset the fact that American teams have won the last 26 Stanley Cup championships).

I mean it's bad enough we are the only non-Sun Belt team that has never played outdoors (which I hope we do in 21-22, I highly doubt there will be outdoor games in 20-21, if there is a 20-21), especially considering the Jets got one in only their 6th season as a Winnipeg team (and they even won a playoff series, as did Vegas, then only in their first season, before we finally broke through); if I were WCMH, I'd boycott the NHL (outside of any of our games) until we get to play outdoors.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Furthermore, I was against the restart from the getgo because it meant playing in a non-traditional timeframe. I wouldn't have minded it so much if Tampa Bay didn't win the Cup.

I would have much rather have had the rest of the season canceled, and the offseason conducted as if the Stanley Cup was awarded in June, especially if I knew Columbus would again lose to the eventual Cup winners.

It's not like the NHL has never had a season where the Cup wasn't awarded. They have, 15 years ago when the lockout killed the entire season. As far as I know a pandemic is worse than a lockout, correct me if I'm wrong.

It's about time you all realize we will never get farther than our second series of the postseason while Torts is still in charge. He's only been past the conference semis twice in his career. I think the NHL should ban Americans from being head coach (to offset the fact that American teams have won the last 26 Stanley Cup championships).

I mean it's bad enough we are the only non-Sun Belt team that has never played outdoors (which I hope we do in 21-22, I highly doubt there will be outdoor games in 20-21, if there is a 20-21), especially considering the Jets got one in only their 6th season as a Winnipeg team (and they even won a playoff series, as did Vegas, then only in their first season, before we finally broke through); if I were WCMH, I'd boycott the NHL (outside of any of our games) until we get to play outdoors.

I don't follow what any of these points have to do with each other. And only part of the post appears to be on the thread topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->