Value of: Torts Losing His Damn Mind

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It would make Pitt better... but it would also make Columbus a huge threat due to their deptch. Just not a trade you make as a conference rival.
We have depth. What we lack is high-end offensive players; without Panarin we're scoring by committee. A very good committee, mind you, and one that is pretty underrated, but a committee nonetheless.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
We have depth. What we lack is high-end offensive players; without Panarin we're scoring by committee. A very good committee, mind you, and one that is pretty underrated, but a committee nonetheless.
Completely agree. which is why I said you don't make it as a division rival. Pitts gotta add another future For this deal to work.
Brass isn't what he used to be
Who knows what Guentzel does away from Crybaby.
But that said CBJ could roll out 4 effective lines after this trade which plays more towards a Torts system... especially if you're going to lose Panarin anyway.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Yes it would.

We upgrade on Guentzel (which we don’t need too and he’s still developing).

Downgrade on D (which we can’t afford too).

We also give up an very good C and and our next years first.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
We upgrade on Guentzel (which we don’t need too and he’s still developing).

Downgrade on D (which we can’t afford too).

We also give up an very good C and and our next years first.
Brassard is not what he used to be....
Dumolin = Murray

In no world is Guentzel + Brass + 1 worth more than Panarin. Pittsburgh is going to trade their first by the deadline one way or another. They are all in. That window is closing in 2 years.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yes it would.

Even if you think that Dumoulin and Murray are a wash (it's not), moving Brassard and Guentzel of Panarin when you take in what he would cost to extend, doesn't make Pittsburgh better. Panarin is a better player, but Pittsburgh loses key depth, and really hurts their cap in order to extend Panarin.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Dumolin = Murray

In no world is Guentzel + Brass + 1 worth more than Panarin. Pittsburgh is going to trade their first by the deadline one way or another. They are all in. That window is closing in 2 years.

Brassard was at a 52 point pace as recent as last year and we lose a piece of our great centre depth. Dumoulin works here very well and is ahead of Murray.

Panarin is great but not worth that price from us. Sure he’ll score more than Guentzel but his production would drop here. He wouldn’t be on PP1. So it’s not worth it especially given Guentzel’s playoff performances this far.

There is not a chance Pittsburgh would make this deal.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
This is grade A trolling... The Pens 1LD (locked in long term on a more than fair AAV), 1LW (23 and cost controlled) and 3C (who’s really a solid 2C) for an expiring UFA and draft bust Ryan Murray? Oh, and you want the first round pick? Pens get immediately worse from this deal AND get hurt long term. And they help a fierce division rival improve their roster both now and for the foreseeable future. Big NO, JR laughs and hangs up the phone.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Is this thread about the entertainment value of Torts losing his mind? I'm not sure any team would trade anything of value for it.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Completely agree. which is why I said you don't make it as a division rival. Pitts gotta add another future For this deal to work.
Brass isn't what he used to be
Who knows what Guentzel does away from Crybaby.
But that said CBJ could roll out 4 effective lines after this trade which plays more towards a Torts system... especially if you're going to lose Panarin anyway.

Lol the Pens have to add? You have no idea what you’re talking about.

Look what Karlsson and Patches returned. Panarin is worth a little more than Pacioretty, and less than EK. Pending UFA wingers are the lowest of the low on the trade value chart.

The offer probably looks like Sprong+Hagelin+1st. I’d bet another team could beat that, which I’m ok with— I don’t want to spend anything more on a pending UFA that the Pens cannot re-sign. Especially not to a bitter rival.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So the Penguins downgrade pretty significantly from Dumoulin to Murray and lose Brassard and a 1st rounder just to upgrade from Guentzel to Panarin? The same Guentzel that has amazing chemistry with Crosby? The upgrade from Guentzel to Panarin isn't even remotely worth that. Take out Brassard and the 1st and I'd still say no, especially with Panarin's contract status.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Dumolin = Murray

The fact that you can't even spell Dumoulin's name right makes me really not take your opinion of him seriously. Dumoulin=Murray? Come on now. That doesn't even touch on the fact that you seriously think Panarin is equal in value to Guentzel, Brassard and a 1st, which is just laughably dumb to suggest. Guentzel alone probably has more value than Panarin due to contract status.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
In a world where E.Karlsson is traded and the best piece is J.Norris who hasn't played a pro game yet (or 40 pt Tierney - take your pick)... there's not a chance in hell that Panarin would fetch someone like Guentzel or Brassard, let alone both as well as some other pieces.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Dumolin = Murray

G-d, I wish. I love Murray dearly, but Dumoulin has gotten so much better.

* * *​
This is grade A trolling... The Pens 1LD (locked in long term on a more than fair AAV), 1LW (23 and cost controlled) and 3C (who’s really a solid 2C) for an expiring UFA and draft bust Ryan Murray? Oh, and you want the first round pick? Pens get immediately worse from this deal AND get hurt long term. And they help a fierce division rival improve their roster both now and for the foreseeable future. Big NO, JR laughs and hangs up the phone.
You're underrating Panarin and Murray significantly in this reply. But even with that underrating, this remains an entirely fair assessment. :)

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
G-d, I wish. I love Murray dearly, but Dumoulin has gotten so much better.

* * *​

You're underrating Panarin and Murray significantly in this reply. But even with that underrating, this remains an entirely fair assessment. :)

Haha maybe a little. Don’t get me wrong Panarin is an elite LW, one of the very best in the league. But is he even worth Guentzel straight up? He wouldn’t be on PP1 here and optimistically is a 65-70 point guy in PIT. Guentzel hopefully scores 55ish next year. His contract also probably comes in a little more than half of what Panarin is gonna want (5M vs 9M) and he’s younger. Is the huge difference in pay worth 10 or so more points a year? I don’t think so.

Ryan Murray’s best case here is supplanting Maatta, and that’s doubtful given that Schultz and Letang are offensive minded and get paired with more “stay at home” types. He’d likely be on the bottom pairing even though he’s a decent NHL defenseman. I know the boxcar numbers aren’t amazing but Dumoulin gets thrown to the wolves in terms of usage, has to baby sit Letang at times, and still comes out with strong possession numbers and passes the eye test well. He showed some real offensive upside in the playoffs too, and 4M for the next 5 years is a fantastic deal to have him on. Real case to be made that he’s the Penguins most valuable asset in terms of trade value outside of Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, and Kessel.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Haha maybe a little. Don’t get me wrong Panarin is an elite LW, one of the very best in the league. But is he even worth Guentzel straight up? He wouldn’t be on PP1 here and optimistically is a 65-70 point guy in PIT. Guentzel hopefully scores 55ish next year. His contract also probably comes in a little more than half of what Panarin is gonna want (5M vs 9M) and he’s younger. Is the huge difference in pay worth 10 or so more points a year? I don’t think so.

Ryan Murray’s best case here is supplanting Maatta, and that’s doubtful given that Schultz and Letang are offensive minded and get paired with more “stay at home” types. He’d likely be on the bottom pairing even though he’s a decent NHL defenseman. I know the boxcar numbers aren’t amazing but Dumoulin gets thrown to the wolves in terms of usage, has to baby sit Letang at times, and still comes out with strong possession numbers and passes the eye test well. He showed some real offensive upside in the playoffs too, and 4M for the next 5 years is a fantastic deal to have him on. Real case to be made that he’s the Penguins most valuable asset in terms of trade value outside of Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, and Kessel.

Yeah, that's why I was saying it's still a fair assessment. It's not so much their ability as where they'd end up fitting on the Pens and what the Pens are giving up to make it happen.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This title is false advertising.
I thought Torts went full on crazy, call the cops, psych ward, lock down.

Oh well.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This title is false advertising.
I thought Torts went full on crazy, call the cops, psych ward, lock down.

Oh well.
Yeah; instead, it seems to be yet another variant on that old bull**** idea of "we know who really runs the Blue Jackets, hint hint". :eyeroll:

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Oilers suck and got 2stars locked up

I missed where the Oilers were involved in the op's trade.

We get it, the Oilers have McDavid, shut up and let fans of other teams talk about their teams for a change. About as terrible as Leafs fans mentioning Matthews every other minute.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
I missed where the Oilers were involved in the op's trade.

We get it, the Oilers have McDavid, shut up and let fans of other teams talk about their teams for a change. About as terrible as Leafs fans mentioning Matthews every other minute.

Ooo he's really mad now!

It's like when your team sucks, the player, especially with hockey guys, they care more about winning than they do about the money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad