Confirmed with Link: Tortorella Won’t Return as Head Coach

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Right, because coaches have no effect on their players....

What exactly do coaches do, again?

If your theory is correct we should just put a scarecrow behind the bench and save money.

Personally it is when I saw how little we were getting out of Jones and other supposedly elite talents, that's when I knew that Torts was doing a shit job.

Yeah, the only ones on that list that definitely aren't on Torts at all are the Z and Gus injuries. The rest you could at least a small bit attribute to Torts.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a young, pretty skilled F going 47 games without a goal has at least a little bit to do with the head coach - either not developing him, not putting him in the right positions to succeed, not helping his confidence or any or all of the three - just to pick one of those 11 examples.

And I love Torts and am very thankful for him, but it's pretty clear a large portion of this trainwreck of a season was on him.

Reactions: majormajor

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Right, because coaches have no effect on their players....

What exactly do coaches do, again?

If your theory is correct we should just put a scarecrow behind the bench and save money.

Personally it is when I saw how little we were getting out of Jones and other supposedly elite talents, that's when I knew that Torts was doing a shit job.
Your inference is silly.

Did Torts do a great job? No. Would any coach have made this team a playoff team? No.

You were pumping this team most of the season. You overrate them. Badly.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Torts knew he couldn't do nothing with this team. He was doing Columbus a favor by asking out of his contract. Should he have handled it better when he was told no? Yes, beyond a doubt. Should they have let him walk, even if they couldn't negotiate a price with him? Yes. He was a low paid coach anyway and the money would already be off the books. This fell mostly on management. They wasted last year.

Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Torts didn’t want to be here and IMO his actions at times were baiting the organization to fire him. I will always appreciate what he did but he ate up some of that goodwill by his actions in his final season.

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
You think ownership would have been okay with hiring a whole new coach/staff based on this info? Not a chance. If Torts insisted on leaving, we would have had the Double-Headed Brad as our coach this season. Who knows, that may have been an improvement, though. As I mentioned above, the PLD radio thing, I think was borne out of jealousy that PLD was leaving and Torts was stuck, whether he was trying to get fired for it is debatable since he knew he was pretty much stuck here for the season. But like I said, I place most of the blame on Torts for this season going sideways.

Are you referring to Brad Shaw, as the double-headed Brad? He was just hired as an assistant coach with Vancouver. Any opinions or comments on Brad Shaw?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Are you referring to Brad Shaw, as the double-headed Brad? He was just hired as an assistant coach with Vancouver. Any opinions or comments on Brad Shaw?
I guess he'd be 1/2 of it since we had 2 Brad assistants.

I always thought highly of Brad Shaw. Defense was a strong point for the team until this season. Most of use are dumbfounded that Brad Larsen gets an interview for head coach but Brad Shaw didn't.

Reactions: joelCAMEL

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I guess he'd be 1/2 of it since we had 2 Brad assistants.

I always thought highly of Brad Shaw. Defense was a strong point for the team until this season. Most of use are dumbfounded that Brad Larsen gets an interview for head coach but Brad Shaw didn't.

A bit tangential, but I've always had the impression Brad Shaw is a great assistant coach... but would not be a good head coach. Can't quite put my finger on why. Perhaps that's not fair and if he got the chance he'd prove me wrong.

Reactions: joelCAMEL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad