Confirmed with Link: Tortorella Won’t Return as Head Coach

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Lots of good thoughts in here. Well said, denizens.

I posted the following on the mains thinking it was this thread, so I’ll just copy/paste.

I was another skeptic. I’d seen the show, and didn’t want to abide it in Columbus. I was also unconvinced that the kind of coach I was told he would be would prove beneficial to the CBJ.

Clearly, that was wrong to some extent, but what I noted — and what those in others cities failed to, and that’s OK I guess because I wouldn’t have either if I hadn’t been forced to by proximity and fandom — was that he was not the same shitshow. I wouldn’t say he was kinder OT gentler, but perhaps wiser.

So I’ll admit I was wrong, but I’ll also point out that the Torts we got in Columbus was a different Torts.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
This feels like a true end of something. Like, I don't know if I should feel sad, happy, relieved, etc.

Torts absolutely earned the accolades he received in Columbus. He made teams better and honestly I doubt we'll be able to get anyone else of his caliber.

That said, Torts also want able to adjust systems or make adjustments in game well sometimes other than using a line blender. There were things he had no answer for and it was clear he's not what the current group needs (though the heart asks what if he had a real off-season to work these guys).

In the end, I'll miss his passion and fire (though it caused trouble sometimes). Here's to hoping everyone moves on to better things.

Reactions: CPTN71

JacketLife

Aug 2, 2020
Good decision, Torts. This way it’s easier for you to go into Buffalo as a plant to alienate Eichel so he wants out.
But in all seriousness, Torts did a lot for this organization and his press conferences will be missed.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
Last one out please be sure to turn off the lights. Good on Torts to move on... on his terms. CBJ have been bleeding Admin staff, coaches and players for a few years now. I don't care who the coach is the team as constructed has problems. Jarmo better hope there is a rabbit in the hat or we'll be welcoming a new GM next year at this time.

Reactions: Byrral

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
I just can’t stop thinking about all the awful HC’s we’ve had in the past. Torts was rigid with the style of play he wanted. But his coaching acumen, his ability to command respect despite his hardass personality was never in question. There’s a great chance the next HC stinks and the players don’t play as hard.

The fact is, Torts never had a championship level roster to play with.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
I just can’t stop thinking about all the awful HC’s we’ve had in the past. Torts was rigid with the style of play he wanted. But his coaching acumen, his ability to command respect despite his hardass personality was never in question. There’s a great chance the next HC stinks and the players don’t play as hard.

The fact is, Torts never had a championship level roster to play with.

The only roster that even came close was in 2019 and they were only together for what, two months?

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
This season was not smooth by any stretch of the means and a change was needed, but that doesn't diminish anything that Torts did for this franchise. He helped bring stability here and coach the team to the longest run of success they've ever had. Thank You Torts!!!!

Reactions: Viqsi

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Maybe a separate thread but I have not seen any names floated today regarding his replacement...(outside of what this board has thrown against the wall in the prior months)

Let the speculation begin

Reactions: CBJx614

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Maybe a separate thread but I have not seen any names floated today regarding his replacement...(outside of what this board has thrown against the wall in the prior months)

Let the speculation begin
I was thinking the same thing so I made a new thread lol

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Torts was a better version of Hitch for the CBJ. He lasted longer and had more success. Still not sure if he was a better Coach than Hitch, especially when you look at the rosters each had.
But he (Torts) has been the most successful coach the CBJ has had.
I wish him all the best, he certainly got the best out of the early teams he coached here (winning streak notably).

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Torts has been a great coach and for sure still is. It's a shame that he could not carve any meaningful offensive zone system this season. The team was totally clueless most of the time after gaining the offensive zone. Or then they had the wrong "clue" and got into the corners achieving nothing.

Did Torts throw the towel in after the "slow" start for the season?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Torts was a better version of Hitch for the CBJ. He lasted longer and had more success. Still not sure if he was a better Coach than Hitch, especially when you look at the rosters each had.
But he (Torts) has been the most successful coach the CBJ has had.
I wish him all the best, he certainly got the best out of the early teams he coached here (winning streak notably).

I'm not sure if last year's IR team was better than the rosters Hitch had to work with.

Reactions: LJ7201

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I'm pretty bummed but not surprised. I am happy to know it was Torts's decision, if that speculation is true.

He did so much for this team. I'll be rooting for him wherever he goes.

Reactions: koteka and Viqsi

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
Torts is a perfect fit for Buffalo, given the state of their team. He could do a lot to help change the culture there.
I disagree. Grenato's strategy has been to let the skilled guys play to their strengths and the team is playing much better because of it. Dahlin, for instance, finally looks like himself and Mittelstadt is finally showing what he could be.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I disagree. Grenato's strategy has been to let the skilled guys play to their strengths and the team is playing much better because of it. Dahlin, for instance, finally looks like himself and Mittelstadt is finally showing what he could be.
Can we have Don Granato then? He is a former Columbus Chill player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad