Confirmed with Link: Tortorella Won’t Return as Head Coach

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Tonight Greg Wyshynski asked the question that prompted Torts to reveal a bit about why he’s leaving. It was clear that he doesn’t feel he meshes with this group of players. I took that as this is a skill group but not a strong two way group that he coaches best. And I think he’s right about that.

Next to Mr Mac, Torts is the single most important figure in our franchise history. He deserves huge accolades. Even though I think it’s time for a new voice, it doesn’t diminish my respect for what he has done for Columbus. Thank you, John Tortorella.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There were plenty of ups and downs in Torts' tenure. The two years that really make me marvel at Torts are

1) The 2016-17 "streak team". That was a good roster but they only got to 108 pts because Torts got the absolute maximum out of them.

2) The 2019-20 "IR team". That was not a good roster. They had no business making it as far as they did.

And then of course this:

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Torts did a fine job. Nice playoff run, just a shame they couldn't get it done. Thought he represented your city and team well. Hopefully the next guy does well.

Reactions: cslebn

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Tonight Greg Wyshynski asked the question that prompted Torts to reveal a bit about why he’s leaving. It was clear that he doesn’t feel he meshes with this group of players. I took that as this is a skill group but not a strong two way group that he coaches best. And I think he’s right about that.

Next to Mr Mac, Torts is the single most important figure in our franchise history. He deserves huge accolades. Even though I think it’s time for a new voice, it doesn’t diminish my respect for what he has done for Columbus. Thank you, John Tortorella.
It is clear that he doesn't mesh with the type of players Jarmo has been acquiring/drafting and I'm glad he is able to see that and understand it. It think it was pretty obvious to all of us that he had taken the team as far as he could.

I hope whoever the replacement is will take things to the next level and those who are still here will remember what they have learned.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

staveNsteel

Jan 18, 2021
I think it's a good time to change for both the team and Tortz. Hopefully they bring in someone offensively minded and find a 1C to get Laine going. Nothing wrong with a big shake up!

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
A text message sent to general manager Jarmo Kekalainen was not immediately returned, so it’s unclear whether the club was going to offer Tortorella a contract extension. A source told the Dispatch the coach made the decision himself, which he nearly said during his postgame interview.
“People talk about a shelf life,” Tortorella said. “I don’t think there’s a shelf life for a coach, but what I believe in is ‘Is it the right fit?’ I think the fit of the coach and the players and personnel … I think that’s the most important thing and that’s something Jarmo and I have discussed very honestly. I get it. Am I the right fit? These are the things Jarmo and I have talked about. I think this will come to a solution very quickly here. I’m sure Jarmo will speak on that and we’ll see where we go with it.”

Blue Jackets' coach John Tortorella will not return next season

Reactions: CBJx614

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Torts confirms what I have long believed and stated: Jarmo didn't give him Torts players. History says Torts did a great job in Columbus but I think he is right that it is time to go, Now we'll see if Jarmo can hire the right coach for this group of players.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Hats off to Torts. As a season ticket owner from the beginning, I fear for the short term future.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Loved me some Torts! I’m gonna miss him but at the same time it was time.

Glad he’s going out on his own terms and I will always hold him in high regard for the job he did here.

Boy does Jarmo have a massive honey do list this off-season.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
The team took a big step back this season and Torts must share some of the blame in this years horrible results. During Torts time here he played a huge part in turning the direction of the team around and pointing it in the right direction. The team may step back even farther next season as it may take some time for the new coach to get things set in place. But this is the right decision for the future of the CBJ and for Torts as well. He will not be out of a job long unless he wants to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad