Torres Changes Philosophy

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'm pretty pissed off at this whole situation. There are plenty of other players that "leave the ice" when making a hit(i'm tired of people saying "leaving their feet"). Torres had the book thrown at him, and after that, there was pretty much nothing called in the playoffs as far as suspension goes.

The whole system of rule enforcement was a joke. I hope he comes back and levels someone. Like this:

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I'm pretty pissed off at this whole situation

I was too, but eventually you have to move on and reflect on the best strategy going forward. It will not help him or the Yotes if he plays with the attitude that the league screwed him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm pretty pissed off at this whole situation. There are plenty of other players that "leave the ice" when making a hit(i'm tired of people saying "leaving their feet"). Torres had the book thrown at him, and after that, there was pretty much nothing called in the playoffs as far as suspension goes.

The whole system of rule enforcement was a joke. I hope he comes back and levels someone. Like this:

He left his foot, not his feet. No penalty.

Rutkowski

Jul 13, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
If he can do a Matt Cooke-like turnaround this would be great for him and the team. Cooke was the worst player in the league and turned around and is now both a good checking player and a decent secondary scorer; Torres could do the same.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Torres told the Phoenix-based website he figured out early in his career he would need to add depth to his skill set if he hoped to thrive in the NHL.

"I kind of realized fast my skill isn't going to be enough," he said.

Torres acknowledged that he had to play with an edge in order to survive in the NHL. At 31 years of age, I wonder if he has the ability to "add depth to his skill set."

kingbrutis

Jul 21, 2005
He looked pretty strong with the puck in the scrimage. Got some shots off and made a few good passes. I think he'll be fine.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
He looked pretty strong with the puck in the scrimage. Got some shots off and made a few good passes. I think he'll be fine.

He was always an impact player outside of his hitting in my opinion. I loved the signing, and still love it now. He brought an extra level of intensity in the playoffs which was needed. When Doan went down against the Red Wings in the playoffs, we were a very weak team. You have to pick up the hitting, and Torres brings that. Besides that, he also adds some points to the team. He is actually a very valuable player, and I'm glad we have him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
In the six seasons in which he played at least 60 games, he's had 20, 27, 15, 19, 14, and 15 goals, which averages out to 18-ish goals per full-ish season played. You can do worse as a fourth line player. If he sets his sites on the front of the net, instead of looking for the open-ice hit, he might even improve his offensive numbers. He doesn't have to be a torpedo to be effective. He's built like a fire hydrant and is basically impossible to separate from the puck.

He's probably too slow and too stupid to be a good defensive player, but if Tippett can get him to buy into being a puck cycling extraordinaire, I don't see why he can't carve out a niche as a solid forechecker/net crasher ala Joel Ward. Ward doesn't lay people out or take penalties. He just keeps his feet moving and never loses the puck. He's a valuable NHL player. Anyone remember Mike Grier? Same way (of course he was great defensively, too, and actually had wheels for a big guy). You can be useful in the offensive zone if your only skills are being powerful, determined, and willing to go hard to the net.

He just needs a shift in identity. He needs to realign his goals from game to game. His focus can no longer be "provide a spark". When watching video with Steve Peters and John Anderson they should talk about how many minutes and seconds he was able to maintain possession of the puck in the offensive zone. They should focus on how few penalties he's able to take, and how well he's able to screen the goalie and crash the net. How much time he manages to spend within three feet of the opposing crease. That kind of thing. Less Matt Cooke and more Tomas Holmstrom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad